2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Test drove a Shelby GT

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/07, 05:06 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Test drove a Shelby GT

I'm out of town right now and I just swung by a old local Ford Dealership and what do I see, but my first Shelby GT in the flesh. A black one.

I park, get out, and head over to the car but am immediately intercepted by a salesman. I tell him I've never seen a Shelby GT and asked if I could look inside. He asks if I want to take it for a drive.

Surprised by this, I say "Sure!". I didn't think that a dealership would be too eager to offer test drives of their Shelbys. This fellow was brand new and maybe he didn't know that offering test drives in Shelby GTs is not the norm

You all may be find this hard to believe, but this was my first test drive of any S197 Mustang period. I had actually planned to call up my rental car company today and see if I could switch out my Malibu for an automatic GT.

Anyway, we get in the Shelby and go. First thing I notice is the deep/nice sounding exhaust. It definitely sounds the part. I know this heresy, but I wasn't a big fan of the Hurst Shifter (it does look good though). Just too notchy for my tastes.
On a positive note, while the Shelby GT ride was a little firm, I intentionally took a crappy road and it wasn't that bad. It was liveable. It's softer than my current set up on my 96GT (steeda springs and Koni adjustable shocks).

When we returned, I noticed that they had 2 other Black Shelby GTs. I explained that I was out of town and that I wasn't in a position to purchase from them. I then asked if they would mind if I took a test ride in a standard Mustang GT to compare to the Shelby GT. They said no problem and off we went in the Tungsten GT coupe. I immediately liked the "mushy" factory shifter better. The ride was also softer which is good for an old fart like me (ok 41yrs old isn't that old).
On the last straightaway before I turned into the dealership, I got on the throttle pretty good and got some wheel spin. When we existed the car, I was a little embarrased that the smell of burnt rubber was still in the air.

I thanked them for their time, and because they were so friendly and accomodating I'll put a plug in for them. If you are in the market for a Ford, and live in San Antonio, check out Gillespie Ford.
Old 3/29/07, 05:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I can't believe they not only let you out in the Shelby, but that they let you take a GT out after sharing that you have no intentions to buy! They must have been bored?
Old 3/29/07, 06:17 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

I guess so! There were like 7-10 salesmen just standing around. So maybe a test drive was the excitement for the day. Regardless, I was thankful for the opportunity.
Old 3/29/07, 06:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
HA!.....good story...there is a Shelby GT in a lot not too far away from me...Maybe I should drive the '65 up there and try my luck at a "GO" with one
Old 3/29/07, 06:44 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by AFBLUE
... I wasn't a big fan of the Hurst Shifter (it does look good though). Just too notchy for my tastes.
It looks and feels very similar to the Roush. I have a feeling they are one and the same.
Old 3/29/07, 06:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we existed the car, I was a little embarrased that the smell of burnt rubber was still in the air.
Mark, you sure that wasn't the smell of the clutch

At any rate what was the ADM on that bad boy?
Old 3/30/07, 07:10 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

There was no total sticker price on the car and I didn't even ask. Car does look better in person.
Old 3/30/07, 08:44 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm out of town right now and I just swung by a old local Ford Dealership and what do I see, but my first Shelby GT in the flesh. A black one.

I park, get out, and head over to the car but am immediately intercepted by a salesman. I tell him I've never seen a Shelby GT and asked if I could look inside. He asks if I want to take it for a drive.

Surprised by this, I say "Sure!". I didn't think that a dealership would be too eager to offer test drives of their Shelbys. This fellow was brand new and maybe he didn't know that offering test drives in Shelby GTs is not the norm

You all may be find this hard to believe, but this was my first test drive of any S197 Mustang period. I had actually planned to call up my rental car company today and see if I could switch out my Malibu for an automatic GT.

Anyway, we get in the Shelby and go. First thing I notice is the deep/nice sounding exhaust. It definitely sounds the part. I know this heresy, but I wasn't a big fan of the Hurst Shifter (it does look good though). Just too notchy for my tastes.
On a positive note, while the Shelby GT ride was a little firm, I intentionally took a crappy road and it wasn't that bad. It was liveable. It's softer than my current set up on my 96GT (steeda springs and Koni adjustable shocks).

When we returned, I noticed that they had 2 other Black Shelby GTs. I explained that I was out of town and that I wasn't in a position to purchase from them. I then asked if they would mind if I took a test ride in a standard Mustang GT to compare to the Shelby GT. They said no problem and off we went in the Tungsten GT coupe. I immediately liked the "mushy" factory shifter better. The ride was also softer which is good for an old fart like me (ok 41yrs old isn't that old).
On the last straightaway before I turned into the dealership, I got on the throttle pretty good and got some wheel spin. When we existed the car, I was a little embarrased that the smell of burnt rubber was still in the air.

I thanked them for their time, and because they were so friendly and accomodating I'll put a plug in for them. If you are in the market for a Ford, and live in San Antonio, check out Gillespie Ford.

Gillespie is where I used to take my former Mustang for servicing. Great service and always friendly glad to hear their sales side is the same as well. That is surprising they let you drive it and that they had 3 on the lot...there must be some ADM on them.
Old 3/30/07, 10:25 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

I got the impression that they were purchasing some of them from other Ford dealers.
Old 3/31/07, 06:13 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Saw my first White Shelby GT today. I must say that it is a nice looking car. Dealer was asking $55K. I had to laugh. No plug for them.

I wonder if there will be an 08 Shelby GT and whether it will come in any new colors (like Vista Blue)
Old 4/1/07, 02:09 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Your so lucky! The only mustang I've ever driven is mine! I'm dying to drive V8 stang! There was an add for a Shelby GT here that was asking over $65,000!!
Old 4/1/07, 02:22 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Anyone that pays that much is just not doing their homework. As I indicated in another thread, there are plenty of Shelby GTs to be had in the upper $30K range.
Old 4/1/07, 07:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Your so lucky! The only mustang I've ever driven is mine! I'm dying to drive V8 stang! There was an add for a Shelby GT here that was asking over $65,000!!
Insane. It will either sit forever or some poor misinformed person will be convinced by this dealer it's a great deal. Plenty of MSRP deals to be had.
Old 4/1/07, 09:36 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Actually, there were two of them!! Those dealers need to be taught a lesson, I hope they sit there for a good long while!