2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Sylvania SilverStars for the GT/CS....

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/06, 12:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Doug, where did you get the LED backup lights from?
Old 9/14/06, 09:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MTAS
I had a chance to look at an '07 headlight compared to my '05 side by side at the hotel in Birmingham. The '07 lens appears the same, the chrome bucket has ridges around the entire perimeter, and the bulb cover is now gone. Maybe Ford realized making it out of plastic was dumb since it melts/distorts with the OEM bulbs in there
Thanks for the feedback...interesting so the '07 is no longer a "reflective" light but a direct beam given the bulb cover is gone? I had not heard that Ford was having problems with the bulb cover melting - another reason you don't want to install higher wattage/hotter burning aftermarket bulbs for sure!
Old 9/14/06, 09:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Hey mrkabc - my turn to jump in here about worthless bulbs....I have the LED backup lights in my '05 F-150 and (IMO) they are pretty much worthless. They tend to provide a more focused beam which actually diminishes the area you can see when backing. When I get the time I'm going to put the stock bulbs back in.

Doug - would be curious to hear your results and which bulbs you went with. I'll do some searching in the garage and see if I can find the packaging from mine....I got them for $19.99 at Pep Boys IIRC.

A couple of years ago I had heard that brighter tail/stop bulbs were going to be released by the aftermarket - but I haven't seen anything yet - would really like to change these out in my F-150 as it only has 1 bulb per each lense and could be brighter!
Old 9/14/06, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
Had to hold off on the stripes, took a road trip over the weekend ( Green Bay for opening day, I've gotten enough grief already.... on the outcome of the game). Most likely will get it in around Monday to finish that mod.

Oh KC you are a punny guy .
Doug As a Viking fan going way back in time, you have my sympathy. The Packers are still a class act!
Old 9/14/06, 07:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkabc
Will tell where I got them after I get them and see if they are worth it, was kinda skeptical but for less than $20 thought what the H###. If they are good, will post its own thread, if not worth it will post it here.
Not trying to be a jerk about it, but just trying to save some of my friends on here some grief if they do not work. Hope you guys understand.

Saw a thread on here a while back that had a link to a place that had a bunch of aftermarket bulbs, looked like stars, but could not find it again.
Got confirmation that they have shipped, when I get them I will put one in and take photos. So there will be both in at the same time.
Old 9/18/06, 12:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Hotlap and Doug! Will stand by for your report then... I'm not going to waste a penny on more worthless bulbs than I already have!! Hahahahaa!!!
Old 9/21/06, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by michiganrain
Just installed H13ST's in my headlights and its a big difference in color... overall brightness isnt effected much if at all. But having white light over that dimming yellow makes me feel like I can see much better. Picked them up last night at local autozone. cheap easy mod that'll keep me satisfied til saleens or hopefully retrofitting 08 factory HIDs. Just my 2 cents..
Hello michiganrain and HOTLAP,
here in germany I look for a long time to get those Sylvania Silverstar H13ST . But there was no way. Only the XtryVision are available.

Now I read your postings. You tell you got the Sylvania Silverstar H13ST for your headlamps. Is this right or do I something missunderstand? Do they really fit to the 9008 socket? I have a 2005 Mustang V6, but I am not sure, do the Silverstar fit or not.
Please email me to "ray at coverboy-music.de" , so I can order them from a friend in the US.
Thank you, Ray
Old 9/21/06, 06:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Will tell where I got them after I get them and see if they are worth it, was kinda skeptical but for less than $20 thought what the H###. If they are good, will post its own thread, if not worth it will post it here.
Not trying to be a jerk about it, but just trying to save some of my friends on here some grief if they do not work. Hope you guys understand.

Saw a thread on here a while back that had a link to a place that had a bunch of aftermarket bulbs, looked like stars, but could not find it again.
Got confirmation that they have shipped, when I get them I will put one in and take photos. So there will be both in at the same time.
They suck. got a 9 LED light, they were so dim it was not funny. Got a catalog with the bulbs, and put a call into them, but no return, will try later. But they had some bulbs with more LEDs, will see if they will work and report back.
Old 9/22/06, 01:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by -Ray-
Hello michiganrain and HOTLAP,
here in germany I look for a long time to get those Sylvania Silverstar H13ST . But there was no way. Only the XtryVision are available.

Now I read your postings. You tell you got the Sylvania Silverstar H13ST for your headlamps. Is this right or do I something missunderstand? Do they really fit to the 9008 socket? I have a 2005 Mustang V6, but I am not sure, do the Silverstar fit or not.
Please email me to "ray at coverboy-music.de" , so I can order them from a friend in the US.
Thank you, Ray
Ray, the silverstars were just released which is why you couldn't find them. They will fit the V-6 too.
Old 9/22/06, 07:19 AM

Sylvania Silverstar H13ST

Originally Posted by Treadhead
Ray, the silverstars were just released which is why you couldn't find them. They will fit the V-6 too.
Hello Threadhead,

thank you. Meanwhile I got great answers by michiganrain and HOTLAP.

And also I found this.

I hope my friend in El Paso/TX can find them at Autozone.

Best wishes
Ray
Old 10/10/06, 03:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

They suck. got a 9 LED light, they were so dim it was not funny. Got a catalog with the bulbs, and put a call into them, but no return, will try later. But they had some bulbs with more LEDs, will see if they will work and report back.
Thanks Doug... I think I will scratch that mod off my list for now then...

I appreciate the info!
Old 10/11/06, 10:56 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Daniel Stern recommended Sylvania XtraVision H13s (H13XV) and to keep the stock 9145s as they are pretty good as-is.
Old 10/16/06, 10:53 AM

Sylvania H13ST

Originally Posted by Treadhead
Now I got them ! They are GREAT, very white and much better than stock.
Thanks for your hints.
Old 10/16/06, 11:41 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by -Ray-
Now I got them ! They are GREAT, very white and much better than stock.
Thanks for your hints.
Ray - glad you like them - anything to get rid of that yellow light the stock bulbs put out
Old 11/8/06, 12:33 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,538 Likes on 1,873 Posts
19452 1996-2007 Multiple Vehicles - Use Of Aftermarket Lamps - Do Not Use High Wattage Bulbs
Several Aftermarket Companies Offer Replacement Headlamp Bulbs Of A Higher Wattage Rating Than Oem Stock Bulbs. These Bulbs Are Not Dot Approved And Are Typically Sold With The Disclaimer Of 'for Off-road Use Only'. In Addition To Possibly Being Illegal For Street Use, The Bulbs Also Draw Much More Current Than Oem Bulbs. This Increased Current Can Result In Actuation Of The Short-circuit Protection Feature (looking Like Bulb Burnout), Or Damage To The Headlamp Switch, Multifunction Switch, Wiring, Wiring Connectors, Or Even The Headlamp Assemblies Themselves. These High-wattage Aftermarket Bulbs Should Be Replaced With Oem Bulbs, And Customers Advised Not To Use Them.
Effective Date: 10/26/2006

fyi Ford Special Service Message
Old 11/8/06, 05:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Do the Silverstars fall into this category?
Old 11/9/06, 03:19 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the wattage is the same, shouldn't make any difference. 05stangkc's post above refers only to damage created by higher wattage bulbs. The SilverStars are 60/55W and are US DOT.

The one strike against ALL Silverstars - from the research I have done - is that they have a short lifespan, and burn out about twice as quickly as standard halogen bulbs.
Old 11/9/06, 06:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have in my hands 2 extra set of bulbs h13st's

i bought them for my 2005 freestar but then realized the stock bulbs are fine.if someone wants these let me know before i bring that back to the store