2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Are GT/CS owners a rare breed or part of today's average car buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/06, 06:54 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are GT/CS owners a rare breed or part of today's average car buyer?

I have noticed that almost all -- it could be virtually, all as I don't remember any others -- of the Mustang GT/California Special buyers have purchased their car with all options included. I can't help wondering if that is the normal way to buy a vehicle in today's world or does it say something about the type of person who would buy the Mustang GT/CS. It also seems most of us are good weather drivers when it comes to that particular car. What do you think, is this group average or very particular?
Old 11/20/06, 07:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got mine as a daily driver, but I live 3 miles from work. But agree, I got mine with every bell and whistle I could get plus a few extras (opted out on the Shaker 1000, and Sirius radio). I also adding more parts as I go .
I would like to think we are above average.
Old 11/20/06, 07:24 PM

I would say we are special people who love Mustangs.
Old 11/20/06, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine's almost a daily driver. I bought it fully loaded minus the sirius radio. I just like the styling a little better than a regular GT. I don't think i'm part of a special group or nothing, I just like the car, I've wanted one since the 05 came out.
Old 11/20/06, 07:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I cannot comment yet as I'm still waiting !
Old 11/21/06, 03:48 AM
V6 Member

I view the CS as the luxury option of mustang. I probably would not have bought a stock GT premium. The CS to me says sexy with a little bit of red wine, rather then raucus like some other 'Stangs. You're still paying a very reasonable price for a potential collectors edition even when loaded. I got a 500 below invoice deal on top of that. Plus, have you seen a mustang when Not loaded.....just go to www.edmunds.com and watch their base mustang gt road test. It looks like an iron maiden and axe come standard inside. Just my personal preference and opinion of course.
Old 11/21/06, 05:52 AM
Bullitt Member

For me, it was more about the styling cues and a different interior. I love the front and rear fascias. The car is definitely staying away from foul weather. I love this car, but if a Shelby GT vert would ever be announced...?
Old 11/21/06, 06:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think the main reason i got mine was the two tone seats, the only options i got was, the S1000 and 355 rear end.
Old 11/21/06, 09:49 AM
GT Member

Of course, we are special....

Seriously, I was waiting for a GT Vert but when I saw the GT/CS Vert in real life, I knew THAT was the car I wanted and I forgot about the regular GT. It's just that much more special, and will be that way into the future IMO. Only a Shelby GT could interest me at this point, although we are not sure they are coming to Canada at all.
Old 11/21/06, 10:36 AM
Cobra Member

Based on the responses so far, we appear to be a diverse group with one thing in common - our "addiction" to the Mustang. I've been a Mustang fan for many years and since Ford had not released many special editions, over the years (until recently - keep 'em coming Ford) when I 1st saw the GT/CS I had to have it.....my plan is to keep this one until the 2010's arrive and then see what the SE's are looking like at that point. While I have always purchased fully loaded Mustangs, this is my first Mustang that I have ordered and "personalized" exactly to my liking!
Old 11/21/06, 10:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Based on the responses so far, we appear to be a diverse group with one thing in common - our "addiction" to the Mustang. I've been a Mustang fan for many years and since Ford had not released many special editions, over the years (until recently - keep 'em coming Ford) when I 1st saw the GT/CS I had to have it.....my plan is to keep this one until the 2010's arrive and then see what the SE's are looking like at that point. While I have always purchased fully loaded Mustangs, this is my first Mustang that I have ordered and "personalized" exactly to my liking!
Don't get me wrong I love the CS appearance package but it is just that! and sold and listed as a appearance option! no different than interior up grade ... no special serialization!!!
Old 11/21/06, 01:14 PM
V6 Member

I think the plus to non-serialization is the ability for people to add other things to their CS if they so chose. I view it as those who don't add much to their car want to keep the simple and classic CS look. However, if some uber enthusiasts want to alter their cars they can and with relative ease. The one plus about a mass produced vehicle like the mustang is much lower pricing on after-market items and great price competition, esp compared to other cars costs. My second choice was a mazda RX8 and their limited slip costs 422 bucks through mazda. Ford's is 100....so I think sometimes its nice not to be restricted to damaging some type of "serialization" Just an opinion of course.
Old 11/21/06, 03:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by CaliforniaCSblack
I think the plus to non-serialization is the ability for people to add other things to their CS if they so chose. I view it as those who don't add much to their car want to keep the simple and classic CS look. However, if some uber enthusiasts want to alter their cars they can and with relative ease. The one plus about a mass produced vehicle like the mustang is much lower pricing on after-market items and great price competition, esp compared to other cars costs. My second choice was a mazda RX8 and their limited slip costs 422 bucks through mazda. Ford's is 100....so I think sometimes its nice not to be restricted to damaging some type of "serialization" Just an opinion of course.
I absolutely agree with your statement...I was just responding to the fact that many CS owners refer to there GTCS as a Special Edition!! which it is not! its a GT with a appearance option which is quite a difference from a SE.....
Old 11/21/06, 03:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
I absolutely agree with your statement...I was just responding to the fact that many CS owners refer to there GTCS as a Special Edition!! which it is not! its a GT with a appearance option which is quite a difference from a SE.....
I disagree with your statement. What makes one car different from another but the changes. The more changes the more different the car. The fact that it took only a few packages, (which are changes) to make the California Special does not diminish the fact that it is a different model of Mustang. Further it is a Limited Edition according to Ford Motor company and they say it is so because there will be a limited number of this car built, not the Mustang GT, only the GT/CS.
Old 11/21/06, 04:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Comox
I disagree with your statement. What makes one car different from another but the changes. The more changes the more different the car. The fact that it took only a few packages, (which are changes) to make the California Special does not diminish the fact that it is a different model of Mustang. Further it is a Limited Edition according to Ford Motor company and they say it is so because there will be a limited number of this car built, not the Mustang GT, only the GT/CS.
I believe what Ford said was they predicted production around 7000 to 8000 thousand units ! you can bet they will build as many Cs's as they can sell! also note read your window sticker were does it say Special Edition it doesn't it lists California Special as a appearance package!! also in the 2007 Mustang Accessories catalog page 6 no: 7 California Special body kits, basepart no. 424a62 side scoops..basepart no.20049 front fascia kit basepart no.20049 rear fascia kit appearance add on's..also note even Cobra GT500 is still a GT only with 500hp and a 6 speed transmission but is listed as a limited edition production vehicle.. like I said the CSGT is a great appearance package!!
Old 11/21/06, 04:11 PM
V6 Member

If anyone in the country can order one, you can bet it will be above 8k sold.
Old 11/21/06, 04:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by CaliforniaCSblack
If anyone in the country can order one, you can bet it will be above 8k sold.
Yes and there have been ! the 8000 figure was a prediction! before they started 2007 production run !Ford has admitted they had no idea CS would sell <TABLE cellSpacing=0 width=672 bgColor=#000080 border=0 cellspadding="0"><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right width="62%" colSpan=3 height=19>VIN 1ZVHT85H675 224326</TD><TD width="1%"></TD></TR><TR><TD width="1%" rowSpan=4></TD><TD vAlign=top width="17%" rowSpan=4>MUSTANG</TD><TD width="2%" rowSpan=4></TD><TD vAlign=top width="46%" colSpan=2 rowSpan=4>2007 GT CONV PREMIUM
4.6L 3V OHC V8 ENGINE
5-SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION

</TD><TD width="2%" rowSpan=4></TD><TD vAlign=top width="35.75%" height=18>Exterior</TD><TD width="1%" rowSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="35.75%">VISTA BLUE</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Interior</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>BLACK W/PARCHMENT COLOR ACCENT LEATHER TRIM SPT BUCKET SEATS</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR height=1><TD colSpan=2>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="98%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0 cellspadding="0"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="60%" rowSpan=4><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cols=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2>Standard Equipment INCLUDED AT NO EXTRA CHARGE </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>EXTERIOR</TD></TR><TR><TD>. 17" PREMIUM PAINTED CAST</TD></TR><TR><TD>ALUMINUM WHEELS</TD></TR><TR><TD>. P235/55ZR 17 Z-TIRES</TD></TR><TR><TD>. POWER CONVERTIBLE TOP</TD></TR><TR><TD>. REAR DECKLID SPOILER</TD></TR><TR><TD>. FRONT FOG LAMPS</TD></TR><TR><TD>. STAINLESS STEEL DUAL EXH</TD></TR><TR><TD>. DUAL POWER MIRRORS</TD></TR><TR><TD>. VARIABLE INTERVAL WIPERS</TD></TR><TR><TD>. REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>INTERIOR</TD></TR><TR><TD>. SHAKER 500 AUDIO SYSTEM</TD></TR><TR><TD>AM/FM W/ CDX6 & MP3</TD></TR><TR><TD>. AUXILIARY AUDIO INPUT JACK</TD></TR><TR><TD>. AIR CONDITIONING</TD></TR><TR><TD>. LEATHER TRIM SPORT SEATS</TD></TR><TR><TD>. POWER 6-WAY DRIVERS SEAT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR><TD>. CENTER CONSOLE W/ARMREST</TD></TR><TR><TD>. SPEED CONTROL/TILT WHEEL</TD></TR><TR><TD>. POWER DOOR LOCKS & WINDOWS</TD></TR><TR><TD>. DUAL VANITY MIRRORS</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>FUNCTIONAL</TD></TR><TR><TD>. BRAKES, POWER 4-WHEEL DISC</TD></TR><TR><TD>. POWER RACK PINION STEERING</TD></TR><TR><TD>. POWER POINTS (2)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>SAFETY/SECURITY</TD></TR><TR><TD>. ABS/TRACTION CONTROL</TD></TR><TR><TD>. AIR BAGS, DRIV/FRONT PASS</TD></TR><TR><TD>. FRONT/REAR OUTBOARD THREE</TD></TR><TR><TD>POINT SHOULDER/LAP BELTS</TD></TR><TR><TD>. 24 HR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE</TD></TR><TR><TD>. SECURILOCK</TD></TR><TR><TD>. REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>WARRANTY</TD></TR><TR><TD>. 3YR/36000 BUMPER TO BUMPER</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width="1%" bgColor=#000080 rowSpan=4></TD><TD vAlign=top width="39%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Price Information</TD><TD align=right>MSRP</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="72%">STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right width="28%">$31,280</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Key Standard Equipment</TD><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>ORDER CODE 180A-PREM CONV G</TD><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>DRIVER & PASSENGER AIR BAGS</TD><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>ANTI-LOCK BRAKES</TD><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>TRACTION CONTROL</TD><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>MANUAL AIR CONDITIONING</TD><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Optional Equipment</TD><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>2007 MODEL YEAR</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>VISTA BLUE</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>BLACK W/PRCHMNT ACCENT LTHR</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>.4.6L 3V OHC V8 ENGINE</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>5-SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>995</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>VINYL PARCH CONVERTIBLE ROOF</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>INTERIOR UPGRADE PACKAGE</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>460</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>CHARCOAL ALUMINUM PANEL</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>FRONT SEAT SIDE AIRBAGS</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>380</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>195</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>COMFORT GROUP</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>575</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>.HEATED SEATS</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>GT CALIFORNIA SPECIAL</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>1,895</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>.235/50/ZR18 TIRE</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>.FRT FLOOR MATS MUSTANG LOGO</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>.CALIFORNIA SPECIAL TAPE STRIP</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>.18" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEEL</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>.BRIGHT ROLLED EXHAUST TIPS</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>.SATIN BLACK TAPE STRIPE</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>.PONY CENTER CAP</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>CONVERTIBLE BOOT COVER</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>160</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>CONVERTIBLE LIGHT BAR</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>700</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>__________</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>36,640</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>DESTINATION & DELIVERY</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>745</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>TOTAL MSRP</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>$37,385</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Disclaimer: Option pricing will be blank for any item that is priced as 0 or "No Charge".

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>

</CENTER>

</TD></TR><TR height=1><TD bgColor=#000080 colSpan=4>

</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=4><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="15%">

Estimated Annual Fuel Cost:$1,736

</TD><TD width="1%"></TD><TD width="15%">CITY MPG
HIGHWAY MPG

</TD><TD width="1%"></TD><TD>Vehicle Engine Information
2007 MUSTANG GT, 4.6 LITER ENGINE, 3 VALVE FUEL INJECTION, CATALYST, 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Actual mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and vehicle's condition. Results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between 14 and 20 mpg in the city and between 19 and 27 mpg on the highway.
For Comparison Shopping all vehicles classified as SUBCOMPACT have been issued mileage ratings from _ to _ mpg city and _ to _ mpg highway.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR height=1><TD colSpan=2>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="98%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0 cellspadding="0"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=179></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR height=1><TD colSpan=2>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>the way it has!!... this one is selling for 32.000! 5.000 under sticker price if the demand was so high for the CS you would see the dealers bumping the price! not lowering it! 5.000 under sticker!!! by the way where do you see Special Edition on this sticker!!!
Old 11/21/06, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

FWIW and AFAIK, There is no special code in the VIN to distinguish a GT/CS from a GT. However there is a code in the VIN to distinguish a GT500. I believe the original GT/CS ('68), had an R in the VIN which distinguished it to be a special model.

GT500's have T88 in position 5,6,7 of the VIN
GT coupes have T82
GT verts have T85
Mustang V6 coupes have T80
Mustang V6 verts have T84
Old 11/21/06, 05:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by neil07gt
FWIW and AFAIK, There is no special code in the VIN to distinguish a GT/CS from a GT. However there is a code in the VIN to distinguish a GT500. I believe the original GT/CS ('68), had an R in the VIN which distinguished it to be a special model.

GT500's have T88 in position 5,6,7 of the VIN
GT coupes have T82
GT verts have T85
Mustang V6 coupes have T80
Mustang V6 verts have T84
Thank's Neil, thats what I have been trying to explain to the CS faithful
Old 11/21/06, 05:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I do like the fact that the 2007 GT/CS Vert I ordered from Ford has been Ford Sanctioned & Approved on the most part all done at the factory level and not done by myself by buying the parts and sticking inplace by myself, It will be original at its level a Ford that if built like my 2005 GT will run 99.9 % flawless , for that I'm proud to own a Ford Mustang , sure there are lots of querks that make ones car and all but when it does get here Thank-You for for the extra's (Peter) I will get that call and tell them no thats ok it's supposed to be there.LMAO

Quick Reply: Are GT/CS owners a rare breed or part of today's average car buyer?