2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

First Visit to the Dealer for Issues

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/07, 10:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First Visit to the Dealer for Issues

I would like to hear your comments on my recent experience.

First, let me start by saying that my 07 CS is the first American car I have bought brand new. I've always had Jap and Euro cars...for the exception of my 66 fastback. When the new model of Mustangs came out I knew I had to have one. I waited a few years before making the jump. When I saw the CS...I also realize I had to have that package.

Here is my experience so far:

The dealer delivered my car to my front door at night. I looked it over and over with a flash light and found no problems. A week later, when I went to wash it, I noticed four things: The front bumper cover screws that attach to the bottom of the car were snapped (I fixed that one myself), The front right side wheel had scratches on it (probably from hitting a curve), The hood Scoop was not sitting flush in the rear corners, and all of the plastics (bumpers, side scoops, hood scoop) are off in color a little bit.

This is a car over 30k !!!

Finally I decided to take it to the dealer after hearing a few clunks and clinks.

I told the dealer about three things: The front suspensions has a clunk when hitting a bump on the road at slow speeds. The engine makes a ticking noise while at idle and in drive. The hood scoop is not flush against the hood.

I didn't say anything about the color of the plastics, or the scratches on the wheel...I figure they will come up with some excuse and not worth the hassle.

I picked it up and this is what they said: Can't duplicate the suspension clunk...so, I drove with the service manager and showed him. He stated that there is nothing wrong and that Ford has not come up with anything related to that noise. He agreed that there is noise, but says it's normal. The engine ticking: They also could not find anything wrong with it even though another service manager has the same problem with his GT...they said to keep bringing it up during service intervals. The hood scoop: they said that they made them like that so that the paint doesn't scratch in the corners.

Is this how Ford deals with everyone? I would love to buy American cars, but if this is the way Ford does business, it will be my last Patriotic move.
Old 1/4/07, 10:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What color?

and has the seat and clutch started making a squeaky/creaking sound yet?
Old 1/4/07, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by neil07gt
What color?

and has the seat and clutch started making a squeaky/creaking sound yet?
It's white. Nothing on the seat yet, and it's an automatic. However, I do hear clunks when I put it in gear...and just recently it started making this loud clunk after you started...it sounds like someone threw a rock at it. It's done it twice after parking it for a 5 or 10 minutes.
Old 1/4/07, 10:32 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 07gtcs

First, let me start by saying that my 07 CS is the first American car I have bought brand new. I've always had Jap and Euro cars...for the exception of my 66 fastback. When the new model of Mustangs came out I knew I had to have one. I waited a few years before making the jump. When I saw the CS...I also realize I had to have that package.

The dealer delivered my car to my front door at night. I looked it over and over with a flash light and found no problems. A week later, when I went to wash it, I noticed four things: The front bumper cover screws that attach to the bottom of the car were snapped (I fixed that one myself), The front right side wheel had scratches on it (probably from hitting a curve), The hood Scoop was not sitting flush in the rear corners, and all of the plastics (bumpers, side scoops, hood scoop) are off in color a little bit.

Finally I decided to take it to the dealer after hearing a few clunks and clinks.

I told the dealer about three things: The front suspensions has a clunk when hitting a bump on the road at slow speeds. The engine makes a ticking noise while at idle and in drive. The hood scoop is not flush against the hood.

I didn't say anything about the color of the plastics, or the scratches on the wheel...I figure they will come up with some excuse and not worth the hassle.

I picked it up and this is what they said: Can't duplicate the suspension clunk...so, I drove with the service manager and showed him. He stated that there is nothing wrong and that Ford has not come up with anything related to that noise. He agreed that there is noise, but says it's normal. The engine ticking: They also could not find anything wrong with it even though another service manager has the same problem with his GT...they said to keep bringing it up during service intervals. The hood scoop: they said that they made them like that so that the paint doesn't scratch in the corners.

Is this how Ford deals with everyone? I would love to buy American cars, but if this is the way Ford does business, it will be my last Patriotic move.
Don't put up with that! I had some issue's too a couple of scratches under front fascia! and a small blemish on the leather on the drivers seat! Dealer replaced the front fascia and tried to get by with just replacing the leather seat cover. The cover fit like crap! and also scratched the plastic around the door removing the seat! After three days of arguing with the sales Manager I lost my temper! I went to the dealership! and in no uncertain terms explained to the sales manager that I would beat his *** if I didn't get a brand new drivers seat and the other damaged parts replaced !! one week later I had my new seat installed!and the damaged plastic replaced! Then I found a new dealer! this dealer has been great and has taken care of a couple TSB's that have popped up! Their service as been great!
Old 1/4/07, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry about your new car's problems.
In regard to the engine ticking and suspension noises-
I seem to remember reading about similer issues people were having with their 05/06 Mustangs and a TSB was issued for them.
From what you describe (engine ticking) it sounds like the TSB for the 05's
As to the suspension noise...I would take it to another dealer to see what they say about the problems and see if they can fix them.

In regard to the hood scoop issue-
Dealer claims that's normal so it won't scratch the car correct?
Do they have any other Mustangs on the lot that has a hood scoop (hopefully the same model as you have)? If they do walk over and check how they were installed. If they all look the same as yours then the dealer may be correct, but if yours is installed differently then bring it to the attention of the dealer and get them to fix it for you.
Old 1/4/07, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

No, this is not how "Ford" deals with it's customers. But it is indicative of how some dealerships who sell Fords can and will treat their customers. You have to separate the corporate entity "Ford" from the individual dealership. Ford doesn't have any direct control of how their dealership partners operate their individual businesses. So, don't give up on Ford just give up on that particular dealership and find one that actually knows what they are talking about. I'd suggest finding a Blue Oval Certified and/or SVT certified dealership. The dealerships who take the time to get certified will generally care more about serving their customers and know what they are talking about.
Old 1/4/07, 08:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
No, this is not how "Ford" deals with it's customers. But it is indicative of how some dealerships who sell Fords can and will treat their customers. You have to separate the corporate entity "Ford" from the individual dealership. Ford doesn't have any direct control of how their dealership partners operate their individual businesses. So, don't give up on Ford just give up on that particular dealership and find one that actually knows what they are talking about. I'd suggest finding a Blue Oval Certified and/or SVT certified dealership. The dealerships who take the time to get certified will generally care more about serving their customers and know what they are talking about.

Steven - while I agree with your above comment and think he should seek a quality dealer.....think about the situation....a consumer should not have to seperate their dealer from Ford Corp....owining a Ford vehicle and getting warranty/service work done correctly should be a seamless experience - I believe that Ford has the responsibility to insure that it's sales/servicing agencies (dealers) are up to to speed on customer service, latest tech changes, etc. with Ford vehicles....I don't let Ford off the hook that easily because once the consumer purchases a Ford vehicle he/she is "attached to the hip" with Ford dealers for warranty work, etc. Ford knows this and has only given the dealer quality service levels lip service. Dealers should have an annual quality review based on customer feedback and those that don't measure up and will not commit to improving customer service levels - should be disinfranchised. My local dealer's Service Dept. is horrible I have had extremely unsatisfactory service results from this dealer over the years and it is a pain to have to drive 20 miles to the next nearest Lincoln dealer (where they treat me great by the way) for service.....that's just not right!!

Off the soap box (for now)

And Al, (I'm sure you realize) the Mustang's "niche" is seat of the pants excitement/performance/styling at an affordable price...it will never be as refined as a Japanese car......but I believe that most of us Mustang owners realize that and don't really care as this car keeps supplying the "grin factor" - it's worth it....by get those issues dealt with and ENJOY that new Mustang GT/CS....I had a father and son stop me last weekend and ask about the GT/CS and he was recollecting about his and his friends Mustangs of the past while his son checked out the car.....priceless
Old 1/5/07, 11:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
You know what really "bites" is the fact that when I was in the market for a new car and I told my wife I really wanted a Mustang, she pretty much laughed and thought I was joking. Well, I have to explain a alittle bit. You see, she thought I was crazy when I bought my 66 fastback...and I had to show her that it was an investment and that I would only buy an old Mustang and never one of the new ones due to the quality of the product. After hearing how good the new Mustangs were and how happy people were with them, I honestly thought that Ford was making a top quality product...especially with a Mustang. When I went car shopping, I looked at a few other cool cars: The Nissan Z, a Corvette, and to make my wife happy I looked at a Beemer (her favorite type of car). I then did the numbers and I figured, "heck, I can get a Mustang and save a bunch of money". It looks cool, and it's fast...not as fast as other cars...but it can be made faster little by little. So I took the plunge, as my wife rolled her eyes at me.
Can you guess the first thing she told me, after she heard about the problems I've had..."I TOLD YOU SO" and "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY".
So now I'm the fool and I didn't listen to her. Man, that ****es me off!!!

Bottom line, every time I get in the Mustang I feel great and the CS package is simply the best. Everybody wants to race me on the way to work and I get tons of complements...just the way it ought to be.

It's just too bad that Ford can't make a better product...not perfect, but better. I don't want to have clunks, clinks, vibes, warps, etc. on my brand new car with 1k miles on it. Maybe after 70k miles or more, but not after 1k miles. It is simply wrong and it is not good business.

Anybody else feel my pain?
Old 1/5/07, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Al, Just keep this in the back of your mind....the next time you and your wife are out in the CS and someone compliments you on the looks or when you go flying past that "beemer", just THINK to yourself..."See, I told you so!!"...don't ever say it because your wife would NEVER forget it.
Old 1/5/07, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Good luck fixing your problems - the front end clunking is a widely known issue that supposedly Ford is working toward a fix. I've had it since 2.4 miles on the odometer.
Old 1/5/07, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by NJJOE
Al, Just keep this in the back of your mind....the next time you and your wife are out in the CS and someone compliments you on the looks or when you go flying past that "beemer", just THINK to yourself..."See, I told you so!!"...don't ever say it because your wife would NEVER forget it.
I should also do the I told you so dance.

BTW, can you post a photo of your interior. So far, I only have a Satin Aluminum Emergency Brake Handle. I want to do a few other, but I don't know how it would look.
Old 1/5/07, 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Sure, I can post some pictures. It is raining (Pouring) outside, so it will have to wait until a sunny day. But, I will get those for you. No problem.

I am not too sure about that "I told you so dance"....may need to take a few lessons first. LOL
Old 1/5/07, 04:23 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

You know what really "bites" is the fact that when I was in the market for a new car and I told my wife I really wanted a Mustang, she pretty much laughed and thought I was joking. Well, I have to explain a alittle bit. You see, she thought I was crazy when I bought my 66 fastback...and I had to show her that it was an investment and that I would only buy an old Mustang and never one of the new ones due to the quality of the product. After hearing how good the new Mustangs were and how happy people were with them, I honestly thought that Ford was making a top quality product...especially with a Mustang. When I went car shopping, I looked at a few other cool cars: The Nissan Z, a Corvette, and to make my wife happy I looked at a Beemer (her favorite type of car). I then did the numbers and I figured, "heck, I can get a Mustang and save a bunch of money". It looks cool, and it's fast...not as fast as other cars...but it can be made faster little by little. So I took the plunge, as my wife rolled her eyes at me.
Can you guess the first thing she told me, after she heard about the problems I've had..."I TOLD YOU SO" and "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY".
So now I'm the fool and I didn't listen to her. Man, that ****es me off!!!

Bottom line, every time I get in the Mustang I feel great and the CS package is simply the best. Everybody wants to race me on the way to work and I get tons of complements...just the way it ought to be.

It's just too bad that Ford can't make a better product...not perfect, but better. I don't want to have clunks, clinks, vibes, warps, etc. on my brand new car with 1k miles on it. Maybe after 70k miles or more, but not after 1k miles. It is simply wrong and it is not good business.

Anybody else feel my pain?
I understand what you're going through. I felt the same way when my Mustang had few problems at 20,000 miles. I know my Mustang wasn't $30,000 car like yours, but I was 17 years old and I couldn't afford big repairs.
When I decided to buy pickup truck, Chevy Silverado was my first option. But after looking at few things, I devided to give Ford one more chance, to I bought F-150. I have it for about 18 months now and no problems so far (3,500 miles on odometer).
Old 1/6/07, 06:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
125 miles and here is my report

I do sometimes hear the "clunking noise", and read all the posts about how other owners had this issue. The clunking is not that bad, but sometimes it is noticeable. Other than that, no problems. One month to the day and only 125 miles later, I do love this car. Much better then expected, first ford purchase, have had many cars in my 25+ years driving.
Old 1/6/07, 07:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
ford did cut some corners for sure on this car. The clunking in the front in normal .... that doesn't make it right!! Ford should be trying to make every customer as happy as the possibly can ..... and they are not.
My car even has the built with pride or built with quality sticker on all sloppy. What are we supose to think about the rest of our car when they can't even put a sticker on straight????
I'm still about 98% happy with my car I will say that..... They do have their problems tho.
Old 1/12/07, 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Same thing for me... according to dealer, clunking is "normal"... I sent mail to Ford and they said it's "normal"... I'm installing new shocks/springs with Steeda Strut mounts, that should fix the sound.

The hood scoop... when I installed my BSM stripes I noticed scratches everywhere under scoop. I bought some "special weatherstrip" from local hardware store and installed it between the scoop and the hood. Doesn't scratch my hood anymore, scoop is flush with the hood and IMO, it even looks better.
Attached Thumbnails First Visit to the Dealer for Issues-dec15_2.jpg  
Old 1/13/07, 06:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mvon919
Same thing for me... according to dealer, clunking is "normal"... I sent mail to Ford and they said it's "normal"... I'm installing new shocks/springs with Steeda Strut mounts, that should fix the sound.

The hood scoop... when I installed my BSM stripes I noticed scratches everywhere under scoop. I bought some "special weatherstrip" from local hardware store and installed it between the scoop and the hood. Doesn't scratch my hood anymore, scoop is flush with the hood and IMO, it even looks better.
I can't believe how complacent we have become. By we, I mean us Americans. Do you think a German or a Japanese guy will spend the next three or four years of their hard working life paying a loan on a car that has a clunk, faulty hood scoop, etc. We simply say, it's okay, it's a Mustang and I like it anyway

I wonder if other Ford cars, other than the Mustang, have that clunk. I had to drive my wife's 6 year old VW Cabrio the other day and I noticed that in the same bumps, pot holes, etc, her car was totally clunkless...and it's a convertible.

The clunk is an obvious problem, along with other things, that Ford wishes to sweep under the rug. Could you imagine how much they would loose if they have to replace the strut assy of every GT. I bet that the clunk will go away on future production Mustangs once they exhaust the current stock of whatever part is causing that clunk.

In the mean time, I'll drive my brand new Mustang with a clunk, with a screwed up hood scoop, with an engine ticking noise, and whatever else will come up...but that's okay, it's a Mustang...at least Ford could have used a little vaseline on this one
Old 1/23/07, 05:06 AM
Bullitt Member

I noticed my scoop isn't quite flush in the corners either. If I remember correctly there isnt anything in the corners to help hold it down. Doesn't really bother me. does anyone have a pic of a scoop that is flush.
Old 1/23/07, 05:48 AM
Cobra R Member

i am very happy with mine. I havew a slight clunk in the right front, i'll worry about it when i buy a lowering kit though. as for the other problems... the way the hood scoop is attached makes it prone to that problem. one more reason that i didnt get it in the first place. the different color on the bumper. i believe this is caused by the fact that it is painted on a plastic piece as apposed to the metal parts that the white is also painted on. mine has it, its very slight, but iu am willing to bet pretty much every white s197 that is white has a slightly discolored bumper.

lastly, the tick in the engine. I dont know what you had immediately before, but i am willing to bet its just an injector tick. which is EXTREMELY normal. i know the frist time i started hearing it in my 99 jetta, that i had before this car i thought about it for a little bit, but then i spoke with a good friend of mine (a toyota tech) and he said injector tick is just something that happens. I am willing ot bet your wife's cabrio has a same tick, but you think nothing of it because it is an older car or something, or you cant hear it as much over some of the other noises that come from a 2.slow crossflow VW motor. i might be wrong, but my 07 gt ticks and i know what it is... a bosch injector
Old 1/23/07, 06:10 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Well I happier than $hit with my 07 GT/CS. I replaced the Springs and Shocks all the way around but not because of any problems or knocking. I don't think I would have heard it any way with the loud exhaust. I brought my car because of the style and looks. Any problems???? Sure it's been back to the Dealer a couple of times and will be going back again. But I'm happy, so happy I when back and brought a Winter beater( 07 F-150 supercab 4x4) so I could put the Stang away for the Winter. The ticking sound are the injectors, go stand beside a Diesel Fire Truck and you will hear the same sound only 10 times louder. Again if you are not happy go back to the dealer and tell them so. I personal have broughten over 20 new cars and trucks and only one was back to the Dealer more than twice (1986 Pontiac Grand Am SE). Sit back and enjoy the Day.