2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Passenger Air bag

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/07, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Passenger Air bag

I'm going to be honest and admit that I haven't taken a look at the owner's manual. My wife mentioned that her airbag, the passenger, was off. I asked why and she said that the light came on temporarily when I started the car.

Is there a way to turn it off. I remember having a rental car that had a key to turn off the passenger side airbag, but I don't see anything in the Mustang.

Oh, and by the way, when ever you spell Mustang...don't write mustang. It's kinda like when you write the word God with a capital G. Mustang should also be written with a capital M

As you can see, I'm borred
Old 1/22/07, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have noticed that if I have a grocery bag or something sitting on the seat that is a little heavy the air bag off light would light up. Not sure why that is, just something I noticed, I removed the bag and sat it on the floor and the air bag light went out. Hmmm...never had that problem before.
Old 1/22/07, 02:29 PM

It works off a sensor in the seat. If you put a child seat in the front, it would turn off the air bag when it detects a small amount of weight. Once the weight increases, it turns the airbag on. Also, the deployment of airbags varies based upon not just weight, but also seat position.
Old 1/22/07, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bump
It works off a sensor in the seat. If you put a child seat in the front, it would turn off the air bag when it detects a small amount of weight. Once the weight increases, it turns the airbag on. Also, the deployment of airbags varies based upon not just weight, but also seat position.
Makes sense, a pressure sensitive switch.

I took a friend for a ride the other day, he weighs over 250 lbs. I wonder if it's a three-way switch and over a certain amount weight, it deploys an extra large bag for his fat a$$

Just kiddin
Old 1/22/07, 05:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bump

That is what I thought too! The sensor makes sense. Well, I guess the groceries don't need an airbag! Unless of course I am bringing the beer to the party! LOL....
Old 1/22/07, 06:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

No weight on the seat=no airbag.

Small amount of weight, (under 50lbs I think) = no airbag, but lights up the light to tell you that it knows there is something there, but it is too small for the airbag to deploy.

Over 50lbs, airbag light goes off but airbag is active and will deploy at necessary speed according to size of passenger, severity of crash, and seat position.
Old 1/23/07, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by NJJOE
That is what I thought too! The sensor makes sense. Well, I guess the groceries don't need an airbag! Unless of course I am bringing the beer to the party! LOL....
Yeah! Ford should put a beer switch on the airbag. They should initiate a beer TSB.
Old 1/23/07, 11:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Beer on the front seat or even in reach is Not a good thing. far away like in the trunk with the Monkey , there it should be safe, I use a like recycle bucket if any liquids are present as when driving its like all over like negative G's in outer space or something ha ha.