2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Convertible Soft Boot ... Worth It ??

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/06, 01:39 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible Soft Boot ... Worth It ??

Should I bother ordering the "Convertible Soft Boot" ($160) with my GT/CS Vert order ? How well does it fit and when do you use it? Is it worth it or should I just skip ?

Dbl E GT
Old 7/31/06, 02:28 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dbl E GT
Should I bother ordering the "Convertible Soft Boot" ($160) with my GT/CS Vert order ? How well does it fit and when do you use it? Is it worth it or should I just skip ?

Dbl E GT
I didn't bother. Too much effort to get out of the car to put it on every time. I just drop the top and go!
Old 7/31/06, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dbl E GT

Dbl E GT
Depending on weather conditions, and how often you have the top down, I would say yes. It takes no more than a couple of minutes to put on/take off. On the two Mustang verts I've had, both fit extremely well.

Both cars were ordered with the soft boot. I have purchased a second one off EBay as a backup for $60(new, still in the original bag). very attractive compared to the price from Ford.

I use mine several times a week, does a great job of keeping the dust, leaves, etc out of the compartment. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Convertible Soft Boot ... Worth It ??-img_3107.jpg  
Old 7/31/06, 02:36 PM
GT Member

SemperFi65-
Thanks for your comments. Good point about keeping leaves, etc out of the compartment. I think it even looks better than not having one.

By the way, your ride is exactly what I will be ordering (minus the hood scoop).

Dbl E GT
Old 7/31/06, 03:58 PM
Cobra Member

I got one with my '05 that has never been out of the wrapper. On a typical vert the top collapses back in such a way that the headliner is facing up and is therefore subject to exposure to dirt, bird poo, etc. making a boot more important. But since the Ford top folds such that the exterior surface is what faces up, it's not as much of a problem. And Ford did an outstanding job of making the top look great in the down position, it already looks a lot like a boot!
Old 7/31/06, 04:19 PM
Bullitt Member

It looks a little nicer IMO with the boot ( which I have ), but 90 percent of the time, it stays in the stable ( Mustang Storage building 12x26 ). I use it only for long drives, If I am running errands, it is too much of a hassle to keep taking off ( although, as others have said, it takes all of 2 minutes, I am just lazy )
Old 8/1/06, 06:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MY05GT
It looks a little nicer IMO with the boot ( which I have ), but 90 percent of the time, it stays in the stable ( Mustang Storage building 12x26 ). I use it only for long drives, If I am running errands, it is too much of a hassle to keep taking off ( although, as others have said, it takes all of 2 minutes, I am just lazy )
I would put it on if it was a long cruise where I could be exposed to leaves, or sand (see ocean). I am impressed with how well it looks without it. My '95 had to have the boot because the folded top looked like crap. And the boot was this horrible vinyl / plastic thing (didn't fold). It was like putting a lid on a piece of tupperware...I guess I wish it was more James Bond or BMW like and had a folded gate to cover it when it is down...
Old 8/21/06, 02:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by flashfearless
I would put it on if it was a long cruise where I could be exposed to leaves, or sand (see ocean). I am impressed with how well it looks without it. My '95 had to have the boot because the folded top looked like crap. And the boot was this horrible vinyl / plastic thing (didn't fold). It was like putting a lid on a piece of tupperware...I guess I wish it was more James Bond or BMW like and had a folded gate to cover it when it is down...
I'll second that - both my 95 and 00 verts had that darn "Tupperware" boot - but I did notice on my '00 vert the where the headliner was exposed in the down position had started to fade from the sun after a couple of years - I ended up having to paint it....
Old 8/22/06, 12:58 PM
GT Member

Interesting differences in the way Ford packages the GT in Canada vs the US. In Canada, the "tonneau" or "convertible boot" is included in the convertible price and is not a separate option to buy or not.
Old 8/23/06, 12:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
NO, it's not worth it. I have never once used it, nor do I miss it. Save the $160.
Old 9/6/06, 08:52 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,862 Posts
IT IS A LOT CHEAPER WHEN YOU ORDER THE CAR VS BUYING OVER THE PARTS COUNTER IF YOU DECIDE YOU NEED IT LATER. MUCH CHEAPER!

fyi
Old 9/13/06, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Get it. I've got the cloth top and don't get me wrong, the cloth top looks great when down. I use the soft boot over the weekend when I know I won't have to put the top up for a few days (car stays in the garage overnight with the top down).

You can put it on or off in about a minute flat once you know what you're doing.