The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/)
-   -   Convertible Soft Boot ... Worth It ?? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/convertible-soft-boot-worth-438251/)

Dbl E GT 7/31/06 01:39 PM

Convertible Soft Boot ... Worth It ??

Should I bother ordering the "Convertible Soft Boot" ($160) with my GT/CS Vert order ? How well does it fit and when do you use it? Is it worth it or should I just skip ?

Dbl E GT

md_mustang 7/31/06 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dbl E GT
Should I bother ordering the "Convertible Soft Boot" ($160) with my GT/CS Vert order ? How well does it fit and when do you use it? Is it worth it or should I just skip ?

Dbl E GT

I didn't bother. Too much effort to get out of the car to put it on every time. I just drop the top and go!

semperfi65 7/31/06 02:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Dbl E GT

Dbl E GT

Depending on weather conditions, and how often you have the top down, I would say yes. It takes no more than a couple of minutes to put on/take off. On the two Mustang verts I've had, both fit extremely well.

Both cars were ordered with the soft boot. I have purchased a second one off EBay as a backup for $60(new, still in the original bag). very attractive compared to the price from Ford.

I use mine several times a week, does a great job of keeping the dust, leaves, etc out of the compartment. Good luck!

Dbl E GT 7/31/06 02:36 PM

SemperFi65-
Thanks for your comments. Good point about keeping leaves, etc out of the compartment. I think it even looks better than not having one.

By the way, your ride is exactly what I will be ordering (minus the hood scoop).

Dbl E GT

Tres Wright 7/31/06 03:58 PM

I got one with my '05 that has never been out of the wrapper. On a typical vert the top collapses back in such a way that the headliner is facing up and is therefore subject to exposure to dirt, bird poo, etc. making a boot more important. But since the Ford top folds such that the exterior surface is what faces up, it's not as much of a problem. And Ford did an outstanding job of making the top look great in the down position, it already looks a lot like a boot!

MY05GT 7/31/06 04:19 PM

It looks a little nicer IMO with the boot ( which I have ), but 90 percent of the time, it stays in the stable ( Mustang Storage building 12x26 ). I use it only for long drives, If I am running errands, it is too much of a hassle to keep taking off ( although, as others have said, it takes all of 2 minutes, I am just lazy )

flashfearless 8/1/06 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by MY05GT
It looks a little nicer IMO with the boot ( which I have ), but 90 percent of the time, it stays in the stable ( Mustang Storage building 12x26 ). I use it only for long drives, If I am running errands, it is too much of a hassle to keep taking off ( although, as others have said, it takes all of 2 minutes, I am just lazy )

I would put it on if it was a long cruise where I could be exposed to leaves, or sand (see ocean). I am impressed with how well it looks without it. My '95 had to have the boot because the folded top looked like crap. And the boot was this horrible vinyl / plastic thing (didn't fold). It was like putting a lid on a piece of tupperware...I guess I wish it was more James Bond or BMW like and had a folded gate to cover it when it is down...

HOTLAP 8/21/06 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by flashfearless
I would put it on if it was a long cruise where I could be exposed to leaves, or sand (see ocean). I am impressed with how well it looks without it. My '95 had to have the boot because the folded top looked like crap. And the boot was this horrible vinyl / plastic thing (didn't fold). It was like putting a lid on a piece of tupperware...I guess I wish it was more James Bond or BMW like and had a folded gate to cover it when it is down...

I'll second that - both my 95 and 00 verts had that darn "Tupperware" boot - but I did notice on my '00 vert the where the headliner was exposed in the down position had started to fade from the sun after a couple of years - I ended up having to paint it....

tuco 8/22/06 12:58 PM

Interesting differences in the way Ford packages the GT in Canada vs the US. In Canada, the "tonneau" or "convertible boot" is included in the convertible price and is not a separate option to buy or not.

mrkabc 8/23/06 12:50 AM

NO, it's not worth it. I have never once used it, nor do I miss it. Save the $160.

05stangkc 9/6/06 08:52 PM

IT IS A LOT CHEAPER WHEN YOU ORDER THE CAR VS BUYING OVER THE PARTS COUNTER IF YOU DECIDE YOU NEED IT LATER. MUCH CHEAPER!

fyi

steevr 9/13/06 05:41 PM

Get it. I've got the cloth top and don't get me wrong, the cloth top looks great when down. I use the soft boot over the weekend when I know I won't have to put the top up for a few days (car stays in the garage overnight with the top down).

You can put it on or off in about a minute flat once you know what you're doing.