Removing Window Sticker and other plastic

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/08, 04:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Window Sticker and other plastic

Brought my GT500 home yesterday (got it at MSRP for those of you like myself that have been patiently waiting for MSRP!). I had the dealer leave all the plastic on the inside of the car. I will probably remove some of it at some point, but save it in case I ever decide to sell it (doubtful, but you never know what life can deal your way).

My questions are:
1) will leaving the seats covered in plastic (or any other parts. e.g., steering wheel) cause any long term damage to the leather et al?
2) How do I get the window sticker off in an entire piece? I will want to save it, but I do not want to drive around with in the window.

thanks,
mitch

Last edited by mjbarnet; 5/8/08 at 07:47 PM.
Old 5/8/08, 05:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my dealer leave the sticker off in the first place. You might try gently warming it up with a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive.

Why leave the plastic on? Unless you are planning to save the car as a museum piece, the plastic is not going to help you much. I would be afraid it would damage the seats as the leather would not be able to breathe. The plastic on the dash has a light adhesive. I would think leaving it on could potentially leave a film on the plastic.

I would (in fact I did) just take it all off and save it as best you can. I have a tub full of all the stickers, plastic, etc. Then go out and enjoy that car the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

Btw, what color, options etc.?

Where are the pics?

Congrats. Glad to hear another MSRP deal went down.
Old 5/8/08, 06:15 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
C O N G R A T S ! ! !

You can take the window sticker off with the the back sheet on and trim the excess on all sides and corners. It will protect the back of the window sticker if you leave it on. You can further protect it by framing it.

As for the plastic, I had mine taken off. I try to take good care of it as best as I can but in reality unless the car is placed on display it is hard to have a car for some years without having a minor scratch or two in the interior plastics or a rock chip on the fascia. If you drive it, it will happen.
Old 5/8/08, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I had my dealer leave the sticker off in the first place. You might try gently warming it up with a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive.

Why leave the plastic on? Unless you are planning to save the car as a museum piece, the plastic is not going to help you much. I would be afraid it would damage the seats as the leather would not be able to breathe. The plastic on the dash has a light adhesive. I would think leaving it on could potentially leave a film on the plastic.

I would (in fact I did) just take it all off and save it as best you can. I have a tub full of all the stickers, plastic, etc. Then go out and enjoy that car the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

Btw, what color, options etc.?

Where are the pics?

Congrats. Glad to hear another MSRP deal went down.
I had them leave all the plastic on so that I could remove it as I wanted (hey, thats half the fun!) and would be able to keep and store the pieces. I will probably remove the steering wheel and front seat plastic, but will probably leave the front license plate and floor mats wrapped up in the trunk. Other items, like the center steering wheel cover and radio cover I may leave on. I had a 2005 Mustang GT and that thing would scratch if you looked at it funny. Only options were the IUP and Shaker 1000. I didn't want the HID headlights or the ambient lighting because I doubt I will ever drive this at nite. Oh, I also passed on the Sirius bump, I love XM and Sirius, but didn't like the execution on the mustang. Pics to follow next sunny day!

George, so the window sticker is just stuck on around the edges? The dealer told me they come from factory that way, as I had asked that the window sticker not be put on. I had a 2004 Mach 1 with never applied window sticker, maybe that was obtained after delivery?

mitch

Last edited by mjbarnet; 5/8/08 at 08:11 PM.
Old 5/8/08, 09:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Mitch, about your window label, you want to heat up the outer edge where the adhesive is. That will help it come off much easier. But I have a better idea for you. You can get your dealer to order you a duplicate window label. It comes from the factory with the trim over the adhesive still. I say this, as I had my title clerk order it for my friend who picked up his GT500 from me a few weeks ago. He has the original from the window, and he also has the extra.
Old 5/9/08, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Mitch, about your window label, you want to heat up the outer edge where the adhesive is. That will help it come off much easier. But I have a better idea for you. You can get your dealer to order you a duplicate window label. It comes from the factory with the trim over the adhesive still. I say this, as I had my title clerk order it for my friend who picked up his GT500 from me a few weeks ago. He has the original from the window, and he also has the extra.
Thanks Jeff, I will give them a call! Do you know if there is a charge for this? If there is, I will offer to pay it.
thanks again,
mitch
Old 5/9/08, 11:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mjbarnet
I had them leave all the plastic on so that I could remove it as I wanted (hey, thats half the fun!) and would be able to keep and store the pieces. mitch
I had them leave mine alone also. I just did not have the window sticker on mine. I took the steering wheel and seat plastic off at the dealership after taking pics of them. I didn't want to try and drive it with plastic on the steering wheel.

Why not drive at night?
Old 5/9/08, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Why not drive at night?
Too many bugs in the Iowa country side after dark.
Old 5/9/08, 01:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Jeff, I will give them a call! Do you know if there is a charge for this? If there is, I will offer to pay it.
thanks again,
mitch
There shouldn't be a charge. Ford just sends it, on their stamp! I've done this for my own car back in 2006, and did it for my buddy's GT500, and for a fellow, I got a car for, from another dealer. That dealer butchered the label before we got the car, so I got him another one all perfect.
Old 5/9/08, 03:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Too many bugs in the Iowa country side after dark.
I hear ya...midwest bugs can completely ruin a fresh carwash!..plus the nocternal wild animals that like to jump out in front of cars...
Old 5/18/08, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I had the car delivered with all the plastic and stickers on it. As a matter of fact, i still haven't removed a few items like (sun visor plastic, door sill covering, radio display, plastic over carpet, and i just noticed the other day some covering on the steering wheel spokes. I'll get around to removing more as time goes on but i think i'll leave the plastic on the carpet. I just threw the mats over it.
Old 5/18/08, 05:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FiaCobra
I had the car delivered with all the plastic and stickers on it. As a matter of fact, i still haven't removed a few items like (sun visor plastic, door sill covering, radio display, plastic over carpet, and i just noticed the other day some covering on the steering wheel spokes. I'll get around to removing more as time goes on but i think i'll leave the plastic on the carpet. I just threw the mats over it.
I stll have the clear plastic on the aluminum door sill plates. I rekon they just happened to miss taking it off during prep, so I chose to leave it on for now.