Msrp?

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/08 | 03:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Best thing to do is not buy from clowns like this and look elsewhere. Sooner or later, you will find a car for your price and find a new dealership. I walked away from my local dealer (and a few others in the county) before I went 1:45 away to my new dealer. They may have sold their GT500 for an extra $10k, but, lost my continued business for years to come.

They will likely end up selling that car late in the model year for a MSRP or close. The ADMs are dying. More and more people are finding MSRP deals and dealers with "I'm not selling it unless I get 15 over" attitudes are going to be sitting on them next summer. Sooner or later Ford will announce a 2009 model run and the price will come down.

If you are serious, keep looking. Go talk to the $2k over people. If they are starting there, MSRP is very doable.
Old 1/11/08 | 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

My addendum sticker said $399 for window etching (which I didn't get or pay for) and $20,000 ADM. I got my car for MSRP. Just be patient, keep looking, and don't leave any stones unturned.
Old 1/12/08 | 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JonW
My addendum sticker said $399 for window etching (which I didn't get or pay for) and $20,000 ADM. I got my car for MSRP. Just be patient, keep looking, and don't leave any stones unturned.
You talked the dealer down from $20k over? Wow, you're good
Old 1/12/08 | 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
You talked the dealer down from $20k over? Wow, you're good
I can't claim all the credit. It was a small dealer and they had 2 more GT500s on the way. I imagine that the dealer got tired of paying the floor plan interest on the one on the floor, knew he had 2 more coming, and decided to cut the one in stock loose.

Now's the time to buy if you're serious. Business is slow, the dealers want to cut their floor plan expense, and they're more willing to make a deal. Plus, if it does come to pass that there will be no '09s, MSRP might be harder to get if the dealers find out the the remaining Shelbys they have will be all that they're going to get. And so far, there has been no announcement either way about '09.
Old 1/14/08 | 02:06 PM

MSRP is relatively easy to find right now.

Ok I was in the market for a 2008 GT500 and I wanted really specific options. It had to be Vista Blue, had to be a coupe with HID head lights and the interior upgrade. Those were my strict requirements, then I had the other option like ambient lighting which I would like but if it didnt have I wouldnt cry. I prefered the shaker 500 audio system because I would probably put an aftermarket head unit in.
So in August I started with making a few phone calls a month to a handful of dealerships that had Vista Blue GT500's. I visted my 3 local dealerships twice a month. I was hoping to get MSRP from my one dealership that had an allocation but he wanted 10k over and he ordered the Vapor instead of the Vista Blue! (dummy). Anyways at the end of November, I called around and one of the Dealerships in Oregon had two Vista BLue Coupe's. I expressed that I was only interested at MSRP and the sales guy said he would talk to the manager for me. 10 minutes later they said they would do MSRP. So I got the paperwork and after looking over it for a while, I realized that they had the sale price of the car wrong as it was a few thousand dollars more than MSRP. Second I didnt like the fact that I had to pay tax up front. I recently bought a Viper and I didnt have to pay tax until I went to register it. So I told the dealers that I wasnt too thrilled with the oops mistake on the cost, and I thought I could buy the car and then pay the 4 grand in taxes when I registered it. So after a few days the sales guy emailed me and offered me 5.9% Financing with just 5k down. I gave it some thought and decided I could do this and it won't hurt so much.

So I closed the deal and bought the car.
What's my point? Everyone that is looking to buy one of these cars needs to understand that they are now in the drivers seat. The Cars are readily available and you don't have to settle for an ADM. Let the idiot dealers that charge ADM's sit on the car and lose money. There is going to be a 2009 so take your time. I did and I got very close to the exact car I wanted. Granted it had the Stripe delete and the Navi but other than that it is perfect. (Probably gonna paint the stripes on anyways as Vinyl is terrible)
Old 1/14/08 | 02:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Zan186
Ok I was in the market for a 2008 GT500 and I wanted really specific options. It had to be Vista Blue, had to be a coupe with HID head lights and the interior upgrade. Those were my strict requirements, then I had the other option like ambient lighting which I would like but if it didnt have I wouldnt cry. I prefered the shaker 500 audio system because I would probably put an aftermarket head unit in.
So in August I started with making a few phone calls a month to a handful of dealerships that had Vista Blue GT500's. I visted my 3 local dealerships twice a month. I was hoping to get MSRP from my one dealership that had an allocation but he wanted 10k over and he ordered the Vapor instead of the Vista Blue! (dummy). Anyways at the end of November, I called around and one of the Dealerships in Oregon had two Vista BLue Coupe's. I expressed that I was only interested at MSRP and the sales guy said he would talk to the manager for me. 10 minutes later they said they would do MSRP. So I got the paperwork and after looking over it for a while, I realized that they had the sale price of the car wrong as it was a few thousand dollars more than MSRP. Second I didnt like the fact that I had to pay tax up front. I recently bought a Viper and I didnt have to pay tax until I went to register it. So I told the dealers that I wasnt too thrilled with the oops mistake on the cost, and I thought I could buy the car and then pay the 4 grand in taxes when I registered it. So after a few days the sales guy emailed me and offered me 5.9% Financing with just 5k down. I gave it some thought and decided I could do this and it won't hurt so much.

So I closed the deal and bought the car.
What's my point? Everyone that is looking to buy one of these cars needs to understand that they are now in the drivers seat. The Cars are readily available and you don't have to settle for an ADM. Let the idiot dealers that charge ADM's sit on the car and lose money. There is going to be a 2009 so take your time. I did and I got very close to the exact car I wanted. Granted it had the Stripe delete and the Navi but other than that it is perfect. (Probably gonna paint the stripes on anyways as Vinyl is terrible)
Congrats Zan. Glad to hear another MSRP went down.

I think Vista without stripes would look good.

My vinyl is actually quite nice. It is lined up very well. Not as well as paint would be, but, still nice.

Enjoy her. Stick around and post in this forum. It would be nice to revive this one.
Old 1/14/08 | 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

No official announcement has been made on an '09 GT500 yet. From what I've been told by a reliable source, Ford dealers only have a contract to sell 2007 & 2008 GT500s, with an option to renew for 2009. That option has not yet been exercised. So evidently the '09s are still up in the air, and at this point, it's not looking good.
Old 1/14/08 | 02:28 PM
Cobra Member

Window etching is a popular 'add on' for dealers in some areas. It is only a way to make a little more $. It's offers insurance in case of theft. Problem is often windows are etched during PDI (the Insurance companies give the materials to do it to the dealer for free) so it doesn't matter if you decline you end up with a useless number pernmanently etched on the glass.
Smart insurance companies, getting dealerships to be their agents.
Old 1/14/08 | 07:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

No official announcement has been made on an '09 GT500 yet. From what I've been told by a reliable source, Ford dealers only have a contract to sell 2007 & 2008 GT500s, with an option to renew for 2009. That option has not yet been exercised. So evidently the '09s are still up in the air, and at this point, it's not looking good.
While it hasn't been made official, chances are it is going to happen. Ford has not announced it yet because they want to sell the '08s first. Why wouldn't they make an '09? It is the hottest selling car they have had in years. They don't have to offer rebates. The R&D has been paid for. Easy Money!
Old 1/14/08 | 07:40 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
While it hasn't been made official, chances are it is going to happen. Ford has not announced it yet because they want to sell the '08s first.
Ford announced 2008 GT500's long before 2007's were produced, much less all sold, so your argument doesn't really substantiate a 2009.

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Why wouldn't they make an '09? It is the hottest selling car they have had in years. They don't have to offer rebates. The R&D has been paid for. Easy Money!
Tightening EPA/CAFE restrictions and other special edition variations (with and without Shelby) are in the works. Just because R&D is paid for doesn't mean that there are plenty of other considerations at hand as to whether a 2009 GT500 will be brought to market.
Old 1/14/08 | 07:42 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm hoping for a 2009 GT500, as they've been nothing but pure money for us dealers and easy sellers. We pray for home runs like this, and once in a blue moon we get one, so we want 2009's just as much as the Mustang community wants them.
Old 1/15/08 | 06:17 AM

Anyone know of a Ford dealer who will order me a GT 500 coupe for MSRP? We should be getting close to that now.
After looking for months, I found a Vapor w/ blk stripes on a showroom near me. It was ordered for a guy but he had to back out. they were asking 10K over msrp. I went to order a bullitt But made an offer of msrp for the Gt500. The Bullitt will take 3-4 mos. to get so the dealer took my offer on the GT500. Keep looking & calling dealers. Be serious & ready to buy. You may have to settle for an 08 in stock rather than order. Thats what I did. Good luck
Old 1/15/08 | 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by gabnmantha
After looking for months, I found a Vapor w/ blk stripes on a showroom near me. It was ordered for a guy but he had to back out. they were asking 10K over msrp. I went to order a bullitt But made an offer of msrp for the Gt500. The Bullitt will take 3-4 mos. to get so the dealer took my offer on the GT500. Keep looking & calling dealers. Be serious & ready to buy. You may have to settle for an 08 in stock rather than order. Thats what I did. Good luck

Congrats on the GT500. You'll like a whole lot better than you would have the Bullitt.IMHO
Old 1/15/08 | 03:32 PM

I think the 2009 GT500 will happen but I think it is going to be a much smaller production run. Why? The GT500's are not selling like hot cakes anymore. MSRP deals can be found with a minimal of effort. You might not get exactly the color you want or options at a near location but msrp is almost the norm now. Yes Dealers are still asking for an ADM, but they are not getting them.
My best advice for the guys still looking for a GT500 is to call around and when you get a dealer asking a 10k or 20k ADM, very professionally tell them to take your name and number and that you are looking to buy at Sticker and if the manager wants to sell it to call you. Then move on to the next dealership. Right now I believe their are more GT500's made than buyers. What I mean by buyer's are people who can afford a $50,000 car and also want that particular kind of car.
All the collectors already have one, all the fanatical Mustang enthuisiast's already have one. All the wealthy guys already bought them.
What is left is the Blue Collar and some white collar workers that want one but either can't afford more than MSRP or are smart enough to be patient.

Keep in mind from an economic standpoint the longer you keep your money in the bank the more it is worth. This is the dealer's worst fear. They need to sell cars. You don't need to buy a car. Good things come to those who wait.
Old 1/15/08 | 05:02 PM

what is the trick to find the cars? I'm in Michigan and my local dealer told my $7500 over sticker and he can get me one tommorrow from another dealer
Old 1/15/08 | 05:02 PM
Cobra Member

That's true, a tour of dealer connection will turn up many available GT500s
Old 1/15/08 | 05:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Ford announced 2008 GT500's long before 2007's were produced, much less all sold, so your argument doesn't really substantiate a 2009.
That was at the beginnig of the run when they were a lot harder to find and were selling before they hit the lots. Story has changed, now. I know you sold all of yours for $10k over, but, there are a lot of them sitting now. Remember the '04 Cobras? The end of the run will make people want to hold out for the next big thing.

Tightening EPA/CAFE restrictions and other special edition variations (with and without Shelby) are in the works. Just because R&D is paid for doesn't mean that there are plenty of other considerations at hand as to whether a 2009 GT500 will be brought to market.
CAFE could be a factor, but, that won't stop them from offering a 2009 at all. The BOSS, or whatever is the next hot rod, won't hit until the body style change. So, the only Mustangs affecting the Average Fuel Economy would be the GTs and Bullitts and GT/CSs. All of which are basically GTs.
Old 1/15/08 | 06:54 PM
Cobra Member

didn't Ford originally say the GT500 would be a 3 year run?
Old 1/16/08 | 09:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RCSignals
didn't Ford originally say the GT500 would be a 3 year run?
Originally, it was a 2 year agreement with the dealers.

Amy Boylan has said Carroll's agreement goes to 2009 and beyond. That does not guarantee a GT500, but, it sure makes it an attractive option for Ford. Make 6 or 8 thousand more of a car that is still in demand and make some easy money on it.
Old 1/16/08 | 09:29 AM

I have recently located a few GT500's at MSRP and most the local dealers want and extra $5000.00 for the car. I'm sorry but I refuse to purchase a car for over sticker price. I will keep looking and decide what to purchase.

Quick Reply: Msrp?