I just don't get it!

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/06, 09:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion, this whole Shelby mark-up is nothing more than speculation, like NASDQ, gold, oil, and the housing bubble.

Nobody knows what the future price will be. When I bought my 1966 Shelby in 1967, I paid just under $3K. Who would thought that now my car is worth in the six figure range? I didn't buy it b/c I thought it would only go up in value. I bought it to drive!

Sure, I would like to have a new 500 , but not at some inflated price. I'll just drive my 66 Shelby and my daily driver 06 GT, and smile at the suckers who paid way too much.
Old 9/26/06, 04:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mffarrell
In my opinion, this whole Shelby mark-up is nothing more than speculation, like NASDQ, gold, oil, and the housing bubble.

Nobody knows what the future price will be.
It is all hype. There are a ton of collector wannabes out there thinking that this car will be worth a ton someday and are willing to pay part of the appreciation now.

If they really wanted a collector car, they should look to the rare cars, not the ones that are being made to the tune of 8-10k per year for at least 2 years (recent quote directly from SVT). I think they will actually make more than that each year if they continue to sell well. Something like a Cobra R (any year), Roush, Saleen, Shelby GT or GT-H (actually made at Shelby's facility), or whatever else.

Don't get me wrong, I love the GT500. I just don't think it is an instant collector nor is it worth 5 figures over sticker.
Old 9/26/06, 06:47 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
It is all hype. There are a ton of collector wannabes out there thinking that this car will be worth a ton someday and are willing to pay part of the appreciation now.

If they really wanted a collector car, they should look to the rare cars, not the ones that are being made to the tune of 8-10k per year for at least 2 years (recent quote directly from SVT). I think they will actually make more than that each year if they continue to sell well. Something like a Cobra R (any year), Roush, Saleen, Shelby GT or GT-H (actually made at Shelby's facility), or whatever else.

Don't get me wrong, I love the GT500. I just don't think it is an instant collector nor is it worth 5 figures over sticker.
If they continue to deliver the GT500 at the rate we're hearing about on these forums, they'll never reach that mark
Old 9/26/06, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will for now. It is nice to know that if the GT500 does not work out, I will still get something that will fill the void nicely. It really is a special car. It has a lot of character.
The Production Estimate is now at 8k per year. Still plenty for those who really want. There is no telling if they will hold value or not. It is for the Market to determine over time.

IMO, purchase any car because of what it is worth to you and what You are willing to pay for it. [Not] for what one thinks it might be worth monitarily.

My perspective, i wanted a Serialized, Limited Production Mustang, with Roush and SVT Engineering. The GT500 represented that to me.

The engine needed to have the Roush and SVT work inside it in order to have that value. We all value differing things in the same cars. Then, it was a matter of deciding if the price the Dealer and i arrived at, was a fair one for what i was purchasing.

I know by experiance that if i had gone with any other car, it would never have fulfilled these values.

It is important to consider all you value in the Car and if the one you are considering contains these features. Especially, if you intend to keep the car for a period of time.
Old 9/26/06, 11:11 AM
GT Member

What does Roush have to do with the GT 500? Don't you mean Shelby?
Old 9/27/06, 05:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by mastersmech1
If they continue to deliver the GT500 at the rate we're hearing about on these forums, they'll never reach that mark
At what rate are they arriving?

I have not seen hard numbers, but, I think I remember seeing that about 3000 had been made by mid September. IF that is true, that would be a rate of about 12,000/year (job1 was early June. 3 months, 3000 cars, 1000/month).

Ford can make as many of these as they want to within the limits of the parts availability. IF the cars are selling and Ford can get the parts, they will make the cars.
Old 9/27/06, 02:30 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by KGSGT350
I am just surprised how willing people are to spend 20K over sticker for this car when a year from now they will be selling them under sticker.
There's an old saying: If you have a million dollars - and you spend it like you're a millionaire - you won't be a millionaire for long.

Nobody should be paying $20K over sticker for this car, IMHO. It's the principle of the thing, if nothing else.
Old 9/27/06, 02:44 PM
Closet American

I will for now. It is nice to know that if the GT500 does not work out, I will still get something that will fill the void nicely. It really is a special car. It has a lot of character.
Have you considered the '08 Bullitt? If the early reports are accurate, it will probably produce power and performance roughly half-way between the Mustang GT and the Shelby GT500. And if it gets the 4.6L all aluminum 32V DOHC engine with modified cylinder heads from the Ford GT, it will have good power AND better handling characteristics than the Shelby.

It will be more subtle than the GT500, for sure, but it should make one very desireable special edition, nonetheless.

Of course, Ford could always choose to just bolt on some off-the-shelf FRPP parts to an existing GT, paint it DHG, stick on some aero bits and call it a "Bullitt," but here's hoping those days are behind Ford Motor Co.

Old 9/27/06, 03:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Have you considered the '08 Bullitt?
I'll have to see what it entails. The Roush has really caught my eye. I just don't want to jump ship on the Shelby, yet. I have decided to give it until March.
Old 9/27/06, 07:29 PM
GT Member

At what rate are they arriving?

I have not seen hard numbers, but, I think I remember seeing that about 3000 had been made by mid September. IF that is true, that would be a rate of about 12,000/year (job1 was early June. 3 months, 3000 cars, 1000/month).

Ford can make as many of these as they want to within the limits of the parts availability. IF the cars are selling and Ford can get the parts, they will make the cars.
I was basing my statement ,on production, on the responses of the people on this and other forums. I've yet to here anyone boast of an "on time delivery". I have also not seen many at local dealerships and have not seen any on the streets.
Old 9/28/06, 05:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

I was basing my statement ,on production, on the responses of the people on this and other forums. I've yet to here anyone boast of an "on time delivery". I have also not seen many at local dealerships and have not seen any on the streets.
Although this is the top site for mustangs, stangsunleashed.com has a lot more GT500 owners on it. There are quite a few over there that have gotten their cars. I live in a small town and have been seeing one around here for about 5 or 6 weeks (he bought it in Indy). I know of 2 used cars for sale already. One of which just sold late last week and the other is the car I have been seeing around here.

Ford and the dealerships have done a good job of creating a sense of rarity and urgency for this car. They will be available. We just need to be patient (and I am having a difficult time with that myself). Are you waiting on one?
Old 9/28/06, 05:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Crazy, you have seen 2 for sale already??? Any clue for how much and why they were selling so soon? I personally want one. I have an 06 GT but will trade in a heartbeat when I can get one reasonably...MSRP or less. I am not paying the rape fee. If one cannot be had then I will settle for a Shelbt GT or whatever next version Shelby has up their sleeve.
Old 9/28/06, 08:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Webba
Crazy, you have seen 2 for sale already??? Any clue for how much and why they were selling so soon? I personally want one. I have an 06 GT but will trade in a heartbeat when I can get one reasonably...MSRP or less. I am not paying the rape fee. If one cannot be had then I will settle for a Shelbt GT or whatever next version Shelby has up their sleeve.
The one that sold already was a tung coupe. IT was purchased by an employee of the dealership where I had my first deal (that fell through). She bought it for MSRP. Apparently something happened (salesman said medical) that she could not afford it anymore and had to sell it. She was asking 5k over to help cover the cost that she had in it (MSRP, TTL, a few minor mods, etc.). IT sold the first night it was back at the dealer reportedly for the asking price.

The second is a tung vert that is here in my town. I looked at it and test drove it. IT is a very nice car. This guy ordered a black vert from the local dealership. He got impatient and started looking in Indy. One of the dealers called him and had the tung vert on the floor. He went down and bought it with ADM. Now he wishes he had waited on the black car that was optioned the way he wanted it. He had it in the Trader for 65k (basically to cover his cost of ADM, TTL, etc. - no mods to this one).

Like you, I am unwilling to pay a rape fee. I'll just wait on it. If the market softens, I buy a Shelby. If it doesn't, I buy a Roush. There are already signs of a softening market. Several ebay cars are not meeting reserves. Most bidding is stopping at about 10 over (as opposed to the 18-20 over that they were in July and Aug). I saw where 1 did not sell at 7 over last week.
Old 9/30/06, 10:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
What does Roush have to do with the GT 500? Don't you mean Shelby?
Roush was heavily involved in the GT500 engine development program.
Old 10/1/06, 03:41 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by TomServo92
Roush actually involved in the engine development of a Shelby that Shelby himself is essentially not involved in. If that's not irony, I don't know what is.

Old 10/1/06, 07:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Roush actually involved in the engine development of a Shelby that Shelby himself is essentially not involved in. If that's not irony, I don't know what is.

Old 10/2/06, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Roush was involved with Shelby on the Original Shelby Programs back in the day. Roush was an Engineer at Ford at the time and on a Team that worked primarily with the Engines and Shelby did the rest. Henceforth, Roush has made himself quite a name in the Engine Market and his involvement in the Engine in the GT500 i have is mostly what driven me to have her. More of a custom Engine of sorts with Roush and SVT and a return of a Classic Style car.
Old 10/2/06, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TomServo92
Yes, the custom designed crank, for example. The mess ups on the test stand as that they did not set it in correctly, with the way recommended by Roush and had to re-do it several times.

One can notice a Roush Engineered Engine by the sound and the haul of the thing. The cams are already starting to become evident with only 500 miles on too.