How should Ford drop the weight of the GT500?

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/06, 11:37 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple thoughts. First recall that back in 05 when this car was being concieved, SVT had no product and was in the middle of for lack of a better word restructured(torn apart). Ford et. all was quoted as wanting to take SVT "upscale"?? and that means luxury to the vast majority of people. However I believe Ford got caught in the attempt to make a 20k car into a luxury car and as such it kinda comes out like it has. They blew the initial target price(not by much but blew it) and decontented the car somewhat from a performance standpoint. The only way out(as most buyers in this price range would normaly cross shop quite differant cars) is to either offer a lower raw number(but much more focused) car, or finish what they started and make an SVT or "R" or whatever with all the stuff the concept promised at a much higher price point.(say another 8-10k). This car has sort of maxed out what can be achieved on a single platform(20-44k) The only way Ford can make this car lighter is to spend serious money on it and then they are WAY beyond what people will pay for affordable performance. Having said that I would pay the 45k for a real SVT/Boss whatever, with Al. NA engine and less leather dash and heated seats, 3lb rear fake gas caps,stickers, etc. It anint gonna happen as we have seen them create now essentially half a dozen styling pkgs. so I either wait patiently for ADM to drop or spend my sheckles elsewhere. I really think Ford backed themselves into a corner with the GT500 and as much as I love the CONCEPT of 500 horse for 40k I don't think this is the best they could do. Its works for them; for now but I question its sustaianablility. Over to the aftermarket. BTW please PAINT your carbon fiber
Old 8/11/06, 11:44 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=51642
Old 8/11/06, 11:52 AM
GT Member

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/index..._articleid=131
"
"StangsUnleashed was tipped off about the existance of a GT500KR: The above photos were captured in Dearborn, show what is believed to be a GT500KR in prototype garb. The first changes you'll notice are the different upper and lower grilles. While the 2007 Shelby GT500 uses a black, plastic grille, this model uses a metal wire mesh grille in both positions. The hood inserts are also made of the same material. If you look into the hood vents, you'll get an un-obstructed glimpse right into the engine bay. . .talk about serious airflow! Aside from the increased airflow, the metal grilles also make a statement that this Shelby is meant for some serious action on the track. By the way, did you notice that this GT500 has a roll bar?" With picture goodness!!
Old 8/11/06, 12:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I prefer the R model way, not only will weight be less, but it will keep the GT500, just like in the old days.

Now if only the Cobra Jet could return
Old 8/16/06, 03:11 PM

How do you screw up a 500HP car? Make it weigh 4000lbs . What a joke. No way I'll buy one of these things now.
Old 8/16/06, 03:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RodneyMann
How do you screw up a 500HP car? Make it weigh 4000lbs . What a joke. No way I'll buy one of these things now.

I think you might be the 300th person to make a comment like this. But most of them were made when the specs were made public many many moons ago. <---I couldn't find one that said "Welcome to several months ago"
Old 8/16/06, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by n3cr0mncr
I think you might be the 300th person to make a comment like this. But most of them were made when the specs were made public many many moons ago. <---I couldn't find one that said "Welcome to several months ago"
Hey, I'm new here, what can I say.
Old 8/16/06, 07:00 PM
GT Member

Hey, I'm new here, what can I say.
Welcome. But as is proper etiquette, you'll get more help with this. As for the weight we have beat it (and Ford) pretty hard on this issue. And its still a sore point with some of us...
Attached Images  
Old 8/17/06, 09:23 AM
Cam Tease

You act like the guy started a new thread to make his comment. Get off his back.
Old 8/17/06, 09:23 AM

Sorry if I am rehashing old stuff but this car is disappointing. I was thinking it would be a fun car to get, but forget about it now. I'm not sure this thing would even beat my C5 (Z06) to the next light. I know I'm probably late on this one too, but what gives with the straight axle? I'm thinking a $50k car should at least have an IRS.
Old 8/17/06, 08:14 PM
I'm people, and I like.

I know I'm probably late on this one too, but what gives with the straight axle? I'm thinking a $50k car should at least have an IRS.
Oh no you didnt!

Old 8/17/06, 09:35 PM
Cam Tease

Old 8/20/06, 11:30 PM
Cobra Member

I know this doesn't matter at all but look at the stripes on that so called "KR"..... GROSS!
Old 8/20/06, 11:34 PM
Cobra Member

one more thing, and forgive me cause I'm young and still learning everyday about autos, but are ya'll saying that you would sacrafise A?C and several other options just to save a couple hundred pounds? And if Ford does offer a KR model are ya'll saying it won't have options like the GT500 today or that it will just have several performance upgrades like better air flow and what not. I personally would rather go the GT500 way and then go crazy in the aftermarket.

Alright.... strike me down lol
Old 8/21/06, 02:52 PM
GT Member

I think you hit it nose on. The people talking about lowering the weight are only discussing things that would either drive the price of the car through the roof or just make it uncomfortable to sit in. Fast, but uncomfortable. I live in Vegas...and I am from Phoenix...and when I hear people talk about doing away with A/C, I break a sweat. That is just not something that a reasonably intelligent car company would do if they wanted to make sure that their vehicle is equiped to be sold everywhere in the US. That is almost like saying,"Leave the heater fan out to save weight" when you know full well that there are many customers in Canada. Just dumb.

If they do make a KR or some other R-type version, I have a distinct feeling that they will make far fewer of those because there is no demand except in the drag racing clique. If you look back at the classic vehicles that are being sold at Jackson-Barrett you will see that vehicles with many factory options are the ones selling for more money. Reason? They are more rare...and the options are difficult to fake. A buddy of mine retored a '68 Camaro SS/RS and added some undocumented factory options to the car. The thing was worth $30,000 fully restored, but with the options he added (while he added over 200 lbs to the car) he was able to sell it for over $40,000. If you want to race the car, then buy one...strip it down...remove all of the queep...and race it. If you want to have fun with it....keep the A/C so you aren't dying in the summer or on long trips and just enjoy the car. If you are saving it to sell it at a huge profit 40 years from now.....just give up. Unless 5000 storage areas burn down and destroy 5000 of those cars...there will be nothing rare about them.
Old 8/24/06, 09:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by n3cr0mncr
I think you hit it nose on. The people talking about lowering the weight are only discussing things that would either drive the price of the car through the roof or just make it uncomfortable to sit in.
I've got to disagree with you on this. Given, the AC/heater thing is a bit touched to say the least, but many of the comments here are very feasible without raising the cost of the car. Granted aluminum block is pie in the sky, but aluminum roof/trunk, High tension steel throught the pan areas will not increase the cost of the vehicle if engineered correctly. Read this months MMFF issue... there is a whole write up on how they reduced the weight of the standard mustang by mainly swapping out suspension components along with the driveshaft. Also here is what people are looking at:
This thread is for the 40-60K GT500 not the 26000 dollar Mustang GT.
At 26-30k the GT's weight and power are a good bet, probably the best in the market.
But at 40-60K you are in Vette country now and the vette DOES have an All Aluminum Engine, It does have extensive composite and alternative material usage, it has a 6.0 V8, it has IRS, it DOES NOT have 2 worthless rear seats, solid rear axle, but it only weighs in at 3170 lbs. So even though this is an apples to oranges comparision, it has merit. People in this market expect more and they pay for it.

Question I have:
All aluminum engines are too expensive per several posts. Why can chevy do it at this price? Chevy has had aluminum engines for years now and has developed the lineup appropriately, the Camaro will see all aluminum V8.

Composites will drive the price throught the roof per several posts. Why can Chevy do it? They engineered it from the start to accomodate these materials.

IRS will drive the price too high. (IRSvs.SRA aside) Why can Chevy do it? Since it has already been developed, the update and improvement of their IRS is inexpensive. This months MMFF comps the roush 3 with the vette. They say that the vette IRS behaves like a SRA.

it is not the consumers fault that ford is behind the game on development.

Ford has repeatedly stated that doing a Shelby was a goal since the development of the S197, so why wasn't the weight issued planned for. Surely the concept of having an 4000lbs High performance Mustang raised eyebrows...didn't it?
Old 8/24/06, 11:28 AM
Cobra Member

Well, I agree with a lot of what your saying and then... I don't. If you want to put the Shelby in the 60k range then you should put the vette in the 85-95k range. I do realize that some morons are actually paying up to 75k for these shelbys. But when the smoke settles and Shelbys are actually being sold for 40-45k. I'll be satisfied. I personally would pay a little more to see all the things you listed in the shelby, But I just don't think its gonna happen. Now if ford could do all those things and still be in the same general price area.... that would be sweet. I almost wish ford would just go all out on one mustang, just one, no expense spared, so that we could tell the Chev guys to shuv it. I just feel like the Shelby has recieved more bash then praise... I just can't wait to get in one and really see what its all about.
Old 8/24/06, 12:28 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
guys it was pretty obvious that the GT500 would be that heavy.

Think of how much weight the GT gained from 04-05. about 250lbs more... now take a 2004 Cobra. They weigh 3665lbs... add 250lbs for the new chassis and you get 3900lbs..

What they need to do is redsign the chassis to be lighter.. which hopefully they will due on the 2009 or 10 whenever they redo the stang.

It really was the best that ford could do with the platform and budget.
Old 8/24/06, 12:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jarradasay
I've got to disagree with you on this.
And I will have to disagree right back by agreeing with Webba. The GT500 is not a 40-60k car. It is a 40-45k car and the Vette is not in that group. If you want an aluminium block and a bunch of composite parts you will have to pay the cost of a corvette AND THEN add the ADM...The MSRP in this case would be in the realm of the vette, but the ADM would drive the prices up closer to that of the GT40.
Old 8/24/06, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure what youre talking about with making the vette 85-95K. the base vette starts at a very comparable 44K to the 41K base GT500. That is why I gave the GT500 the 40-60K range. Eventually they may settle down to sticker or around there, but it is still in the same price range as the vette, and lets be honest... there is nothing base about a base vette.

I believe the reason the Shelby has been more bashed then praised is a product of its own doing. To me anyone can stick a big supercharged engine into any car and say it is a 500 hp monster. The GT500 had potential to be a Musclecar/super car great, but ford dropped the ball in my opinion. I know this is harsh, but there is a hundred horsepower delta between the GT500 and the Vette but the weight almost entirely offsets any performance. Balance is poor. Stripes look poor. Add to that mix that Many Ford Dealers are ADMing the poo out of them and it makes for a very poorly received car. So I believe Ford has dug their own hole and they need to get out of it.
You can only praise something worthy of praise, but 4000lbs 500hp car selling for 50-65K is not praiseworthy in my book.
I believe ford was moving in the right direction but took a wrong turn.

Quick Reply: How should Ford drop the weight of the GT500?