How should Ford drop the weight of the GT500?

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/06, 12:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How should Ford drop the weight of the GT500?

A LOT of people are complaining about the weight of the GT500. Everybody complains but not many people have FEASIBLE ways to drop the weight and still have 500hp without bumping the price even more.

So let's hear YOUR ideas.

Edit: I'm talking from the factory.
Old 8/2/06, 12:28 PM
V6 Member

Delete all things not needed for street legal use.Like radio,back seat,AC,and insulation.
Old 8/2/06, 12:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by into the blue
Delete all things not needed for street legal use.Like radio,back seat,AC,and insulation.
That sounds more like a "R" model.

I just think it's a pipe dream for all of these people that are complaining that the car doesn't weigh 3100 lbs, with 500hp, without upping the price.
Old 8/2/06, 12:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They could proablly do without heavy power seats.
Old 8/2/06, 12:50 PM
Bullitt Member

The car is just plain a lot of steel to sling around. i think the most they could do without making it an R (or KR) model is swap the iron block the aluminum one in the GT and switch to dry sump oil. they could do things like put in lightweight seats, delete AC, radio, backseats, insulation. But that would make it a racing car and not a grand touring car like the GT500's were. And even in 67 when the GT500 debuted people complained that the car was too heavy. I do hope they make a ligher R or KR model though
Old 8/2/06, 01:53 PM
Cobra Member

The majority of people who can afford and are actually buying this car don't wan't a stripper, they want all the amenities. Plus with ever stricter safety regulations most cars have been gaining weight with each new refresh/re-style. It's just the way it is. I don't really understand why everyone so worried over the weight, it's pretty much in line with other similar cars. People compare the Corvette but thats not really the same type of car even if prices and power are similar. even so, the vette has gained weight over the years also.

I suppose Ford could make a a more expensive version using aluminum sub frames, composite body panels and deleted options, but I bet it would not sell very well. The people who would really like to have that as an option (enthusiasts) make up only maybe 10% of consumers and only a fraction of that would want this specific car, and even less would be able to afford it. Car companies don't generally make vehicles marketed specifically for less than 2% of the consumer base.
Old 8/2/06, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Aluminum Block
Old 8/2/06, 05:32 PM
Cobra Member

If there were feasible ways of dropping the weight without increasing the costs, the factory would have done them already. They would LOVE for the car to be lighter, lighter weight means better performance AND better gas mileage. I tend to agree with those here that say "it is what it is". Now if people didn't mind paying another 15 to 20k, I would think a lot of weight could be dropped (aluminum body panels, block, heads, etc.) But based on all the screaming about the markups, it would seem not many people think the car is worth over 45k.
Old 8/2/06, 05:41 PM
V6 Member

There are quite a few enthusiasts and auto press writers who question the weight of the GT500.

Has anyone wondered how GM puts the a base model Corvette on the street for the same money yet weighs an astounding 700 lbs less.
Old 8/2/06, 05:44 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by drmustang
There are quite a few enthusiasts and auto press writers who question the weight of the GT500.

Has anyone wondered how GM puts the a base model Corvette on the street for the same money yet weighs an astounding 700 lbs less.
Compact aluminum block pushrod engine, composite body, and no rear seats, for starters.
Old 8/2/06, 07:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Aluminum Block-100+ lbs?
Aluminum driveshaft-30 lbs
Aluminum Flywheel- 10 to 15 lbs
Composite Fenders- ??
Lightweight seats- ??
Aluminum Control Arms - ??
Old 8/2/06, 08:59 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hi5.0
Compact aluminum block pushrod engine, composite body, and no rear seats, for starters.
Yup!!
Old 8/2/06, 09:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I dare say this:
carbon fiber, crate engine?
Old 8/3/06, 05:04 AM
V6 Member

Pull out the rear seats in a Mustang and weigh them. Not much bulk there.

The Corvette at the same price has the engineering and the lightweight alloys. Why couldn't the GT500?
Old 8/3/06, 05:30 AM
Bullitt Member

people like to complain,, american muscle cars have always been heavy,, thats the way they should be,, we don't want them to be euro-boxes or japanse rice,,, keep the car the way it is,,,

a car without an a/c and radio(cd) in these days does not make sense unless it was an R,,, so the car is almost perfect the way it is. keep up the great work FORD,, im loving my GT and im sure others are,,, and the GT500 owners should and will be happy also,,,
Old 8/3/06, 02:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tres Wright
If there were feasible ways of dropping the weight without increasing the costs, the factory would have done them already. They would LOVE for the car to be lighter, lighter weight means better performance AND better gas mileage. I tend to agree with those here that say "it is what it is". Now if people didn't mind paying another 15 to 20k, I would think a lot of weight could be dropped (aluminum body panels, block, heads, etc.) But based on all the screaming about the markups, it would seem not many people think the car is worth over 45k.
I have to argue this one. This sounds just like GM sounded when people were talking about revamped computers in the Hummer H3. GM's response was something like this... We have people here who have been doing this for years, if there was a computer adjustment that could be made, we would have figured it out already.
Truth is no matter what market you're in.. home, bicycle, car, food, etc, manufacturers find ways to cut corners to increase profit. That is there business, to make more money for their share holders. I agree with the aluminum block statement, but there are plenty of ways to cut the weight of the mustang without comprimising it's affordability.
Just a few examples...
Aluminum roof... cost is minimal as the roof is mainly bonded on with sealant only a few welds to worry about. Cost of coiled aluminum is not significantly more then galvanized steel coils. Benefits other then weight reduction... lower center of gravity (the EVO did this and drastically improved handling), no fear of rust
Overhange reduction.. there is presently 6 feet of space either infront of or behind the wheels on the S197, removing 6 inches of wasted space could reduce weight.
Re-engineered seats.. Have you ever lifted a seat in a mustang? my wife's eclipse seat weighed in at 10 lbs less then my mustang (i was installing new speakers and wiring in both at the same time).
High tension steel.. weighs the same as steel, but is significantly stronger. Used extensively in the new Subaru legacys to cut down on weight due to structural improvements required by safety regluations.
One of the problems plaguing many car companies right now is the ever increasing Government demand to improve structural strength in vehicles. The cheapest way to overcome this is to just throw more steel at the car and call it safer. However, if some capital was spent up front to engineer and design strength into the design much of this could be avoided. Engineering costs are expensive up front, but if amaturized over the next 10 years worth of vehicles made with that engineering, not to mention the knowledge they can apply on future vehicles, then the cost is not significant at all.

My 2 cents.
Old 8/8/06, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by drmustang
Pull out the rear seats in a Mustang and weigh them. Not much bulk there.
Ummmm ..I beg to differ

Back seat - 48 lbs
Front driver seat - 65 lbs
Front passenger seat - ~40+ lbs

Mind you, these are on my '99 Cobra. I would assume that the new ones weigh about the same.

New front seats weigh in at ~15 lbs. Saving ~120 is a lot.
Old 8/8/06, 03:19 PM
GT Member

CF or composite fenders, trunk, hood. I believe it is either BMW or Mitsu that is using some kind of lightweight material for the roof skin. Can the rebars behind the bumper skin be changed to aluminum if they are not so?

How about some of the aftermarket items like the lightweight, one piece driveshaft? Lighter wheels?

I agree with the statement above about most customers wanting creature comforts, but what about delete packages for those who wish to go racing?

Just my $.02.

Tony D
Old 8/9/06, 03:46 PM

An AL block, or even MG (BMW), would be a huge first step. AL or CF (RX-8) drive shaft. AL roof (EVO), rear trunk, FR fenders, rear trunk would save a lot. What about more AL or CF in the lively axle, would save overall weight and much more importantly, unsprung weight. Inital cost would go up some, but so would performance, handling and economy (which would recoup some/all of those costs).
Old 8/9/06, 05:40 PM
FR500 Member

All nice suggestions. Just don't see Ford taking any of these approaches - maybe AL and high tensile strength steel. The rest will be provided by the aftermarket - provided Ford's legal wrangling over "M*****g" etc. doesn't drive them out of business.

Quick Reply: How should Ford drop the weight of the GT500?