GT500 OEM parts: Is SVT coming back?

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/07 | 05:10 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

I'll take the alledged SVT arrongance over the Ford beancounters any day. They wanted to be special and they were, they catered and treated their customers as special. They appealed to the HP Mustang enthusiasts' wishes and were price conscious, ingridients which are not too plentiful in the present enviroment.
Old 6/6/07 | 08:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
I'll take the alledged SVT arrongance over the Ford beancounters any day.
I might as well, if I were limiting my choices to strictly those two. But why do that? If Ford has to be 'fixed' to survive, and it does, why limit that in any way shape or form by excluding SVT simply because it isn't quite as broken as Ford? There were areas where Ford's SVT tuning arm could have been much better. And without actions some would consider extreme I am uncertain that a fix for these could ever be accomplished.

I say if Ford is going to fix it then fix it all.....particularly when the problems in both Ford and SVT have far more to do with attitudes than cost over-runs and budget restrictions. IMHO to do anything less would be nothing more than settling for second best

And of course we would do well to remember that the whole point here is to help Ford's North American operations. Every ounce of SVT's effort should be focused at exactly that, and if it isn't then SVT is just as screwed up as Ford.
Old 6/6/07 | 03:44 PM

SVT did. The Ford GT and the GT500 would not be in existance if not for them.
Old 6/6/07 | 03:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
SVT did. The Ford GT and the GT500 would not be in existance if not for them.
It takes far more than that. Every tuning arm builds fast cars, it's how you do it that matters. Goofy issues like shunning the idea of doing a Mercury strictly because it is a Mercury, and likely short changing the SVT Focus because some people within the organization were unhappy with the notion of doing the car, could hardly be considered helpful to Ford's North American operations.

Poor attitudes and a lack of imagination are killing Ford right now.....they don't need an extra does of attitude from an internal tuner to ice that cake. Like I said earlier, SVT did alright, they could have done far better.
Old 6/6/07 | 04:01 PM
Cobra Member

If you guys are going to rant, at least rant about the right group. SVT (Special Vehicle Team) was a marketing group. John's group was SVE (Special Vehicle Engineering). THEY are the ones that brought you the products, not SVT. I would tend to agree the SVT guys are/were typical marketing knuckleheads, but the guys at SVE were ALL car guys to the core. They were one of the most devoted groups of guys you could ever know. They actually became somewhat of a go-to group for the rest of FOMOCO when tricky problems were encountered on the various platforms. Their workload was not all Cobras and Lightnings. They tackled a lot of "special" assignments over the years including the GT supercar and many "magazine cars" and show cars. The had a very long leash over the years and made sure they kept it taught at all times. Their ultimate demise was that their budget was low hanging fruit when they bean counters were looking for cash.
Old 6/6/07 | 05:08 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

well said Rob!
Old 7/16/07 | 07:17 PM

Picked up this video from SVTOA with some interesting comments from a SVT engineer, Jamal Hameedi, during the last Camp Steeda. He is on the last minute of the segment:

http://www.motortrend.com/multimedia...erview_feature
Old 8/9/07 | 10:52 AM
GT Member

Great thread, but they were calling this car a Cobra way before a Shelby. The name just stayed on the parts longer than the car. More Ford marketing.
I wish they would have kept Cobra instead of Shelby, they'd be $5k cheaper, I bet...
Old 8/16/07 | 05:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
I missed the blue oval on the back of the Terminators. I was aware that Lightnings had always worn the blue oval as did both the SVT Focus and Contour. My issue isn't that I feel that every Ford should wear a blue oval or overtly display the Ford name somewhere on the body. My problem is that SVT made it blatantly obvious that they were more concerned with what SVT could do for SVT than they were in what SVT could do for Ford. And IMO evidence of this can be seen in many little things SVT did along the way, as well as some significant ones, although I was wrong about the SVT Cobra.

Rumours that SVT stonewalled the notion of 'their' engine ending up in a Mercury thereby turning the Marauder into a gelding and likely derailing what could have been a successful car otherwise. The well known issues involving of many of those in SVT who apprently didn't 'want' to do a SVT version of the Focus. SVT's apparent temper tantrum over the latest SVT tweaked Mustang wearing something other than a SVT badge.

A few of these are rumours, but all of them fit into the kind of attitude I've generally some to expect SVT to display which lends them credence. For example, it's difficult to dismiss the Marauder rumour when we know that a large portion of SVT was huffing and puffing over performing work on the Focus. If they'd try and snub a Ford what does that say for their potential attitude towards a Mercury?

Overall the attitude just never seemed to be postive toward Ford IMO. I'm all for the continuation of a tuning arm, and I don't really care what they call it, but it needs to embrace Ford's past and accentuate the positive rather than acting as though they are somehow better than their forebearers.

Well said!!
Old 8/26/07 | 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mystic_Cobra
Great thread, but they were calling this car a Cobra way before a Shelby. The name just stayed on the parts longer than the car. More Ford marketing.........
In light of Ford owning the right to the Shelby Name.

In considering that the car was advertised as a Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 up until about early 2006. And SVT gifted me a limited edition (to 500 issues) print back then to that effect with their stamp & copyright on it as well.

Even the light buckets on the Shelby is in raised embossment "SVT".

IMO, SVT has as much into the car as Ford or Shelby does. To me is a good thing in representing a collabration of so many entities.

Upon purchasing a SVT Product, I can say the Buyer Experiance as well as the Ownership Experiance, has been better than any other Ford I have had thus far.