Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Wood grain trim???

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/11, 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hein
I am surprised, but I actually like this with the exception of the smaller door trim pieces.

I was about to say that.
Old 5/5/11, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronin38
Personally, I'm just tired of ALL cars having the same dam "brushed aluminum" finish on all of the dashboards! Anything to get rid of that!

I had a CarId wood grain kit in my last car. I liked it and I got a lot of compliments on it.

I'm okay with the grey around the radio and center console, but I did just recently order the Blue carbon-fiber kit to go just across the dashboard to cover up the aluminum-like panels. I'll post pics after I get it installed.

If you do get one of these kits, CLEAN the area first, TEST fit each part about 4 times and see where all the edges line up, then apply it VERY carefully. Once it's on... it is ON!
When you get it installed, please post pics.

To apply mine, I used the trick you use when applying clearbras. I wet the back of the big pieces with a mix of distilled water and a very small amount of baby shampoo. That way, I could move the wood around just a bit to make sure it is in the absolute perfect location. The very small pieces did not need it, but the water did really help with the big pieces.
Old 5/5/11, 09:35 AM

I'll third that. I thought I'd hate woodgrain on a black leather and plastic mustang, but the cherry and black makes it look like an expensive speaker cabinet in there, kinda elegant. Perhaps get some sort of accent on the shiftknob? Maybe a video of you driving it around on a sunny day to see how it reflects? I may do this in brushed aluminum
Old 5/5/11, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I think it looks amazing. But I too would love to see some pics of it in the sunlight with some natural light and reflections.

I'll tell ya what it makes me think of...it makes the Mustang seem more like a beast - if a passenger gets in it and sees the aluminium and plastic, it feels like a sporty car - then they expect it to be fast and sound great. But with the wood grain, it takes it upscale and when a passenger gets in it, they will see a nice, expensive feeling interior, comfortable leather seats, and then you step on it and they poop themselves.

I think it truly brings out the best of everything the Mustang can be. My 2 cents.
Old 5/5/11, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by VALCAD
I think it looks amazing. But I too would love to see some pics of it in the sunlight with some natural light and reflections.

I'll tell ya what it makes me think of...it makes the Mustang seem more like a beast - if a passenger gets in it and sees the aluminium and plastic, it feels like a sporty car - then they expect it to be fast and sound great. But with the wood grain, it takes it upscale and when a passenger gets in it, they will see a nice, expensive feeling interior, comfortable leather seats, and then you step on it and they poop themselves.

I think it truly brings out the best of everything the Mustang can be. My 2 cents.
I agree. After the leather conditioner, it really looks nice inside. After seeing it, I think that real wood trim can be impressive enough looking to where I think that an executive series mustang, similar to the chrysler 300, could turn a lot of heads and change a lot of minds about just how classy the mustang can be.

I will take and hopefully post a video today.
Old 5/5/11, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Itravelalot
When you get it installed, please post pics.
Sorry guys, I kind of forgot about this thread!

I ordered the blue carbon fiber kit for mine. The blue color matches my Kona Blue pretty well, but actually only shows up in direct sunlight. Kind of disappointing, actually. Still, better than stock, imo. Also, the little bit of the dash that shows up around the edges shows up better in the pictures than in-person, although the wood grain kit I had in my last car was cut better than this one, and did not show the edges like this one does.

I'm still going to keep it, though.
Before:

After:

Old 5/5/11, 02:33 PM
GTR Member

Wow, I would have sent that blue carbon fibre kit back, terrible fit.
Old 5/5/11, 03:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

As I said, it's not as visible normally. I think the flash "heightens" the effect by reflecting off the dash panels.

I do wish the blue were more visible, most of the time it looks black and grey. I'll keep it for a while and see how it goes, I can always replace the panels later.
Old 5/5/11, 04:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Carid has kits from different companies, too. The one I got looks like it shows a small amount of the metal trim, too, on the pieces that go from the air bag area to the instrument cluster. With the wood I got, it looks good as a slight accent, but I think if I ever end up doing it again, I would try another one of the kits on carid. Carbon fiber should not show any of the metal accent underneath, imo. There are kits that do that.
Old 5/5/11, 04:47 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38
As I said, it's not as visible normally. I think the flash "heightens" the effect by reflecting off the dash panels.

I do wish the blue were more visible, most of the time it looks black and grey. I'll keep it for a while and see how it goes, I can always replace the panels later.
Originally Posted by Itravelalot
Carid has kits from different companies, too. The one I got looks like it shows a small amount of the metal trim, too, on the pieces that go from the air bag area to the instrument cluster. With the wood I got, it looks good as a slight accent, but I think if I ever end up doing it again, I would try another one of the kits on carid. Carbon fiber should not show any of the metal accent underneath, imo. There are kits that do that.

What manufacturer's kits did each of you get?

Might be worth spending a little more for a better fit.
Old 5/5/11, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I forget the name of the company that makes it, but it is the only kit that can come with real japanese cherry. The others have different choices of real woods. I will look for the name when I have time.
Old 5/5/11, 07:44 PM
GTR Member

From what I've seen, Sherwood Industries is the best quality, best fit, but also one of the more pricey ones.
Old 5/5/11, 07:56 PM
GT Member

At the end of the day it's a personal thing. If you plan on keeping the car, do as you wish. Interior modifications like that may limit your potential market should you decide to sell it in the future.
Old 5/5/11, 08:58 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by GTCS 2k9
At the end of the day it's a personal thing. If you plan on keeping the car, do as you wish. Interior modifications like that may limit your potential market should you decide to sell it in the future.
That's another reason to get the best quality kit you can.

And you can take the stuff off, it's a hell of a job but it can be done.
Old 5/5/11, 10:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GTCS 2k9
After seeing this kit on, I might eventually go with a higher quality one, but not anytime soon. I definitely will not just take it off though. It is a shame that it is hard to get a good picture of, but it looks so great in person that I just cannot consider not having a wood grain trim kit on. I am so impressed with these kits, I would recommend doing this type of thing to anyone. What type is up to you, but it is worth it. Use the higher quality one if you need to, but do it.

As for resale value, I see no reason to get rid of this car. It is an amazing car, and with the proper mods, it will only get better with age. I plan on still having this in 20 to 30 years.