2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Wood grain trim???

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/11, 11:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Don't like that at all, the red burl wood is lots better.

I like the real rose wood the best though.

It's hard to tell with a 2D, flat photoshop image. You have to think about how the color of the wood will compliment or clash against the other interior colors though. He's getting the Charcoal/Lava Red interior. IMO, the red burlwood will clash too much and the charcoal burlwood would really compliment the Lava interior in a subtle way.

The standard bulrwood would look better with Saddle or Stone or standard all black Charcoal interior. Ultimately, do whatever you want, but I'm really OCD when it comes to color coordination. You bringing this up really makes me want the Lava Red interior with charcoal wood trim now!
Old 3/7/11, 11:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Don't like that at all, the red burl wood is lots better.

I like the real rose wood the best though.
Actually, the red wood I used in the first pic was real Japanese Cherry wood. I ordered part of the set so I could have just enough to photoshop with. Now I see it, I am ordering the rest of the kit. There are so many good real wood, carbon fiber, and other kits that I never think I will leave a mustang stock. I think depending on individual tastes, a number of different trim kits could work wonders. I like how the darker wood goes with the retro feel, but with much higher quality newer style than vintage cars. I am excited. I just wish I could order a different kit for each month of the year.
Old 3/8/11, 03:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Itravelalot
Actually, the red wood I used in the first pic was real Japanese Cherry wood. I ordered part of the set so I could have just enough to photoshop with. Now I see it, I am ordering the rest of the kit. There are so many good real wood, carbon fiber, and other kits that I never think I will leave a mustang stock. I think depending on individual tastes, a number of different trim kits could work wonders. I like how the darker wood goes with the retro feel, but with much higher quality newer style than vintage cars. I am excited. I just wish I could order a different kit for each month of the year.
Where did you order your wood trim from?
Old 3/8/11, 03:58 PM
Bullitt Member

CarID. There is a link to the mustang dash trim page on the first post of this thread. They have kits from several manufacturers, and have both real and fake wood, as we'll as a number of other materials including carbon fiber.
Old 3/8/11, 04:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jaguar B99 Concept..

Old 3/8/11, 08:49 PM
Cobra Member

Your chop looks really good, and I actually like wood trim.

However, your chop doesn't take into account the gaps that will be between each overlay panel, and the piece on the sharp curve of the shifter panel that will still be gray. Those are the aspects that make a kit look cheap/added on.

It may still look great in the end, but I think that your 'shop may not properly capture these considerations.
Old 3/8/11, 11:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert
Your chop looks really good, and I actually like wood trim.

However, your chop doesn't take into account the gaps that will be between each overlay panel, and the piece on the sharp curve of the shifter panel that will still be gray. Those are the aspects that make a kit look cheap/added on.

It may still look great in the end, but I think that your 'shop may not properly capture these considerations.
Yeah, there are always risks going with things that overlay rather than replace, but I have seen enough pics of jobs done well to know that it is possible. With furniture now days, it is just a thin layer over some type of pressed wood composite. Many things are like that now. The key when getting a kit is to make sure that it was made well enough so that the tolerances are very precise. I have seen that kits can be made and installed that well. If this particular kit does not, I will try different brands until I get something that works. I am sure that if this does not, something will. I really like the warm look this is giving so far.

Last edited by Itravelalot; 3/8/11 at 11:23 PM.
Old 3/22/11, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Just my 2 cents on the other hard plastic areas...

I love your idea of wrapping it in leather. Just look at the difference it makes to have the cheap plastic standard base Mustang steering wheel vs the premium leather wheel - no comparison whatsoever. The look, the feel, it is night and day.

As regards seams in the leather on the doors and whatnot, it is actually an opportunity to add some Lava stitching or some other contrasting color to tie it all together. Seams can be your friend if they are placed well and done professionally.
Attached Thumbnails Wood grain trim???-porsche-911-turbo-spyder-s-918-45563337.jpg  
Old 3/22/11, 04:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

to wood grain trim on a Mustang...

Last edited by SteelTownStang; 3/22/11 at 04:01 PM.
Old 3/22/11, 05:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Personally, I'm just tired of ALL cars having the same dam "brushed aluminum" finish on all of the dashboards! Anything to get rid of that!

I had a CarId wood grain kit in my last car. I liked it and I got a lot of compliments on it.

I'm okay with the grey around the radio and center console, but I did just recently order the Blue carbon-fiber kit to go just across the dashboard to cover up the aluminum-like panels. I'll post pics after I get it installed.

If you do get one of these kits, CLEAN the area first, TEST fit each part about 4 times and see where all the edges line up, then apply it VERY carefully. Once it's on... it is ON!
Old 4/21/11, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

I believe we are due an update on what you are planning. I can't wait to see. In case you are still debating, I saw these pictures of the new Chrylser 300 Executive Series this morning and had to share - this looks HOT...
Attached Thumbnails Wood grain trim???-06-2012-chrysler-300c-executive-series.jpg   Wood grain trim???-04-2012-chrysler-300c-executive-series.jpg  
Old 4/21/11, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

I do have the trim ready to be put on, I just do not have the car yet. ETA is May 5. I cannot wait. The trtim does look nice, but without putting it on, I have no idea how the fit will be.
Old 4/21/11, 11:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the update.
Old 4/21/11, 01:25 PM

Looks awesome !! hard to choose between the wood and real carbon fiber kits. nothing like an inviting interior with some pazzaz. i've learned to tune out the purists who are into plain plastics. in the end its about how it makes YOU feel !!

Originally Posted by Itravelalot
Here is a bad photoshop of something I am thinking about.

Old 4/21/11, 01:35 PM

i'm a little partial towards the real carbon fiber, and feel it gets one out of base purgatory to some degree. just a little addition like the dash piece, makes all the difference.
Attached Thumbnails Wood grain trim???-2011-04-16_032058.jpg  
Old 4/21/11, 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree. Customization and personalization is so easy with these cars. There is nothing wrong with stock, but for me, I plan on keeping mine 'til I can't drive no more, so I am going to make it exactly the way I want it. Eventually, over time. I love the wood grain look. I love the leather wrapped plastics.
Old 5/5/11, 12:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the car and have put the real wood grain trim on it. In person, it looks absolutely stunning. It really brings a nice warmth to the car. The pictures so far do not come close to doing it justice. I will take and post better photos later, but for now, here are some pics.

Old 5/5/11, 12:08 AM

I really dig it but I live in an all log house with wood from floor to ceiling so I may be biased!

Which wood kit is that and where did you get it?

Last edited by jazzcat; 5/5/11 at 12:10 AM.
Old 5/5/11, 12:12 AM
GTR Member

Those pics were made with a camera phone, right?

You need a real camera with better lighting.

And a pic from the back seat like the photoshop pic.

Actually, the photoshop pic looks better than the actual pics.
Old 5/5/11, 08:12 AM
V6 Member

I am surprised, but I actually like this with the exception of the smaller door trim pieces.

Quick Reply: Wood grain trim???