Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

A whole lot of hatin' going on!

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/08, 02:28 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
A whole lot of hatin' going on!

Blimey, this place feels like it's about to implode!

Now, I really like the new car, but, it would appear the majority of people dislike a number of the styling elements. Some could be easily addressed:

1 - Mutton chops (it took me a while to work out what you guys meant - they're just sideburns in the UK )
2 - Black plastic side skirts
3 - Black plastic rear valance

Not so easy to change would be the rear lights.

So, if Ford are reading these forums (and I bet they do) what do you reckon are the chances of the contentious styling being addressed? Given how close we are to production, I don't think there's time to change much, other than painting the lower sections in body colour.

However, I reckon we may see a few tweaks for the 2011 car, this time next year, assuming Ford have the money.
Old 12/4/08, 02:38 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a whole lot of drinking:

going on. if you got to hate on something, then hate on no new powertrain till 2011. the car is improved otherwise.
Old 12/4/08, 02:42 PM
GTR Member

Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but even the carryover drivetrain doesn't bother me. 300bhp is enough for me. Sure, the 400bhp 5.0 will be great and I look forward to it.

What disappoints ME most, is that the majority of folks seem to dislike the new car so much. Even here in the UK, I'm in the minority for liking it

I'm just interested to see how (or if) Ford will respond.
Old 12/4/08, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but even the carryover drivetrain doesn't bother me.
I agree.... my cars tend to get modified to suit my desires for performance. The styling is much more important than the base HP to me.

But I seriously doubt we'll see any kind of major styling changes from Ford, despite how many people don't like the styling. The only way we'll see a styling change within, say, two years is if the car is such a poor seller due to the styling. Every once in a while we'll see a manufacturer quickly update styling that is overwhelmingly considered ugly by a majority of people. The Bangle-ized BMW 7-series comes quickly to mind, as BMW quickly updated the front & rear of their new 7-series because people hated the look and it negatively affected sales. Subaru did the same thing with their early Tribeca with that ugly front end.
Old 12/4/08, 03:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but even the carryover drivetrain doesn't bother me. 300bhp is enough for me. Sure, the 400bhp 5.0 will be great and I look forward to it.

What disappoints ME most, is that the majority of folks seem to dislike the new car so much. Even here in the UK, I'm in the minority for liking it

I'm just interested to see how (or if) Ford will respond.
Don't be disappointed - give it some time. Seeing the cars in person is probably going to help many get over their "change-a-phobia". I've got some dislikes with some of the design myself, really what I'd consider to be minor and most likely fixable to suit my taste. I'd hold off on being disappointed until the cars get out on the road though, then see what everyone says.
Old 12/4/08, 03:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jay_wx
Don't be disappointed - give it some time. Seeing the cars in person is probably going to help many get over their "change-a-phobia". I've got some dislikes with some of the design myself, really what I'd consider to be minor and most likely fixable to suit my taste. I'd hold off on being disappointed until the cars get out on the road though, then see what everyone says.

Give It time and See It In Person.

My Initial Reaction to the MN-12 Thunderbird Was Just As Negative as Most of You have been about the 09-10 Change, and That was a Much Bigger Change Going from the Fox Chassis 88 T-Birds To the 89's, With ther Flat Slab Sides, and Flat Looking Hood, but I've Since Owned 2 of them. My first was an 89 Supercoupe because I Can't Stand them Without the Ground Effects.

My second and Current, is my 97, Which after Owning my Supercoupe I Thought Ford Had Completely Ruined With it's Rounded Hood, No Side Skirts, and, what I thought at the time, looked like Big Crown Vic Like Add On Body Side Moldings. Funny How Times Change. While I still Like my 89, and Other Supercoupes, My Favorite, and the Only MN-12 I Would Want To Own is Now the 96-97's.
Old 12/4/08, 03:23 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Even Steven
I agree.... my cars tend to get modified to suit my desires for performance. The styling is much more important than the base HP to me.

But I seriously doubt we'll see any kind of major styling changes from Ford, despite how many people don't like the styling. The only way we'll see a styling change within, say, two years is if the car is such a poor seller due to the styling. Every once in a while we'll see a manufacturer quickly update styling that is overwhelmingly considered ugly by a majority of people. The Bangle-ized BMW 7-series comes quickly to mind, as BMW quickly updated the front & rear of their new 7-series because people hated the look and it negatively affected sales. Subaru did the same thing with their early Tribeca with that ugly front end.

True, but making changes to the front and rear facias would be quick and easy (along the lines of the changes from GT to California Special on the current car). We won't see any metalwork changes until the all new 2014 car.

Or buy a black car, then a lot of the contentious styling will be "hidden"

Every time I see the image below, I mutter a silent "wow"!

Old 12/4/08, 03:27 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

this is the one that did it for me:

Old 12/4/08, 03:38 PM
Cobra Member

notice the blue steering wheel
Old 12/4/08, 03:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Love This Pic Myself.

Actually I Have Yet To See One I Don't Like!
Old 12/4/08, 03:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mach1fever
nice catch i never noticed that before
Old 12/4/08, 03:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mach1fever
No I Hadn't Caught That

Just went to Autoblog to check the Hi Rez Pic and Yeah It's Official, It's Blue, Not A Chop.

AWESOME, Something Else for the Haters To Hate, like the Red Wheel!

Last edited by TampaBear67; 12/4/08 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12/4/08, 04:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MBK
this is the one that did it for me:

That's an awful looking picture. Not interested in something that looks like that.

Last edited by Whammer; 12/4/08 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12/4/08, 04:17 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like that image (black car), but I also see some of the same lines that are in the Charger. The first thing I thought of when I saw this image the first time was of the orange 2-door Challenger that's been done.
Old 12/4/08, 04:17 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

sorry brother, thats one mean looking ride
Old 12/4/08, 06:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Blimey, this place feels like it's about to implode!

Now, I really like the new car, but, it would appear the majority of people dislike a number of the styling elements. Some could be easily addressed:

1 - Mutton chops (it took me a while to work out what you guys meant - they're just sideburns in the UK )
2 - Black plastic side skirts
3 - Black plastic rear valance

Not so easy to change would be the rear lights.

So, if Ford are reading these forums (and I bet they do) what do you reckon are the chances of the contentious styling being addressed? Given how close we are to production, I don't think there's time to change much, other than painting the lower sections in body colour.

However, I reckon we may see a few tweaks for the 2011 car, this time next year, assuming Ford have the money.
I sincerely hope you are right, and that Ford takes the opportunity to correct issues 1,2,3 above, as well as the power shortcomings with the hopeful introduction of the 5.0. I would be happy with it if they could do that, although I still prefer the V6 front end.
Old 12/4/08, 07:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TampaBear67

Give It time and See It In Person.

My Initial Reaction to the MN-12 Thunderbird Was Just As Negative as Most of You have been about the 09-10 Change, and That was a Much Bigger Change Going from the Fox Chassis 88 T-Birds To the 89's, With ther Flat Slab Sides, and Flat Looking Hood, but I've Since Owned 2 of them. My first was an 89 Supercoupe because I Can't Stand them Without the Ground Effects.

My second and Current, is my 97, Which after Owning my Supercoupe I Thought Ford Had Completely Ruined With it's Rounded Hood, No Side Skirts, and, what I thought at the time, looked like Big Crown Vic Like Add On Body Side Moldings. Funny How Times Change. While I still Like my 89, and Other Supercoupes, My Favorite, and the Only MN-12 I Would Want To Own is Now the 96-97's.
Shawn,

You always have pretty insightful posts that I like to read, but why do you randomly capitalize words that should not be capitalized? It makes your posts painful at times to read, and detracts from your often valid points. Not trying to flame you or anything, as I am certainly not perfect and make more than my share of mistakes and errors. You seem to do it in all your posts, and I am just curious why?
Old 12/4/08, 07:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I remember when the 99 came out, people couldn't say enough negative things about the changes. I bet some of those same people bought one later. It's the same now. We have become so used to the current design, that anything different automatically looks "wrong" somehow.

The 2010 is waaaaay ahead of the 05-09 aesthetically. The design is so much more balanced, refined, and interesting. Thank god we are rid of the boring plain hood, blocky rear end, and undramatic stance of the current model.

I'm with you Paul, I don't understand all the whining going on in these forums. I think the 2010 is a perfect evolution of everything that is great about the current, while improving on its weak points.
Old 12/4/08, 07:20 PM
Bullitt Member

From the pictures I have seen so far and the reading I have done. Performance wise the only real bonuses are reduced drag and lift which is fine by me.

The new interior is nice in photos. I happened to like most of the old one alot. But I will agree quality could be improved. With that said, I think there are a lot worse off cars interior wise than the 05-07.

On the outside, the hips are nice, I like the side shot. The wheel flares look good but there is nothing really original about them. BMW etc has been using flares like that for years. The antenna is a tossup to me, should be in the glass, my Porsche has it buried in the glass and the reception is fine unless I drive 40 miles + west of NYC, then it gets a tad weak, nothing horrible. I sincerely hope they do something with the rounded hockey puck on the rear deck for a sat antenna. I am glad I did not end up getting an 07 with that option. The wheels are ok. I like the polished torque thrust look myself but the new ones look decent. I question the reason going to 19" if they are increasing the diameter of the tires 1" from what I see. So performance wise it is a wash, and all you end up with is the same amount of sidewall and a heavier wheel.

Which brings me to the back. All other verbs aside, in photos it looks pregnant. Somehow it looks even taller than the back of the current car which is very tall as sports cars go. The tail lights did not need changing imo. The new ones are a dissapointment. What is the point of sequential lamps if there is separation between the sections?

The front is interesting, although the car looks as if it is squinting at me. And the mutton chops have to go. The half cut off fog lamps look like the tail pipes on the new camaro, just odd.

The black cladding all over the car reminds me of 199X jeep grand cherokees with black bumpers, rockers, etc. After a couple years every one I saw was faded to gray and were covered in white wax residue. I am not even sure painting it would look right.

I am all for change if it is in a good way. The outgoing car was not perfect but pretty good. And I think they did a whole lot right with the refresh. But the back and parts of the front really make me shake my head.

Oh....lest I mention the "sound tube"....give me a break.
Old 12/4/08, 07:41 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Whammer

That's an awful looking picture. Not interested in something that looks like that.

Yeah, it's just awful...looks like a Mustang.

Quick Reply: A whole lot of hatin' going on!