Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Drag racing?
Old 10/6/08, 09:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by max2000jp
Huh? Marketing?

SRA is an inferior suspension, period. Ford uses and SRA to keep cost down OR pad their profits.
I've driven a 350Z that our dealership insurance agent was selling to his nephew via a "courtesy trade". He was getting his new Bullitt a few months back, and let me take it for a spin. No I didn't get on it, but just took it down the street and back. I gotta say, for a car with IRS, it was rather bumpy and the ride was harsh. More harsh than my GT. And if your wondering, his car was 100% stock.

And Max, whats wrong with Ford making a profit on their cars? Just gotta ask? They are a business, and a business that needs to make what they can to survive.
Old 10/6/08, 09:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by S7MS
If you have any doubt about how cheap Ford is, just look under your car at the rusting rear axle. I paid north of 50g for my Gt500 vert and they couldn't paint the axle? If they can't afford $2 for paint, what makes you think they're gonna spring for IRS?
That's why I painted my axle a few months after I bought my car. Its the supplier who doesn't paint the axle, not Ford (as they don't make the axle themselves, AFAIK). I painted the axle and it looks good now.
Old 10/6/08, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrnT
Drag racing?
That's a logical thought, except the most powerful SN95 cars (03-04 Terminator Cobras) have the IRS, which was retroengineered for that chassis. Why would they put a "weak" IRS in the most powerful Mustang of that era?

Truth is, Ford can make an IRS for our cars and make it affordable as well. They have proven they can engineer both a SRA and IRS for the same chassis. My belief is that those desiring an IRS are in the minority, and most Mustang drivers could care less about the suspension. I would have paid a premium for the IRS, though, and at some point they will have to acknowledge the Camaro and Challenger have done it for similar cost.
Old 10/6/08, 09:56 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT

No other performance coupe on the planet...in the world...in the entire known universe, uses SRA. Hmmmmmm... I wonder why?
See but the problem is Hollywood, you STILL have one in your garage lol. So until Ford sees it affect their sales, they probably won't put one in.

Personally, I couldn't care less which suspension it gets just give me the 5.0
Old 10/6/08, 10:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
I've driven a 350Z that our dealership insurance agent was selling to his nephew via a "courtesy trade". He was getting his new Bullitt a few months back, and let me take it for a spin. No I didn't get on it, but just took it down the street and back. I gotta say, for a car with IRS, it was rather bumpy and the ride was harsh. More harsh than my GT. And if your wondering, his car was 100% stock.
The 350Z is tuned a bit more aggressively. My brother has one and it's about as harsh as my Mustang with FRPP springs and D-specs.

And Max, whats wrong with Ford making a profit on their cars? Just gotta ask? They are a business, and a business that needs to make what they can to survive.
Nothing wrong with Ford making a profit. The IRS debate is a prime example as to why Ford is in financial trouble. Ford chooses to build "good enough" cars. Well if you look in the marketplace, Ford is the only mfg offering a SRA in a passenger car. Ford is simply out of touch with the consumer and competition. With the economy the way it is, Ford is going to have a hell of a time coming out of its slump. I am rooting for Ford, but they better get their act together!
Old 10/7/08, 12:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt

I would have got on it. You should have, Then you could have told us about the wheel hop thing.
Old 10/7/08, 01:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I will attest to 350Zs being harsh, and will also throw in the Charger having a really soft/squrimy rear-end, as well as the Watts link on the Parnelli Jones edition being the best handling/riding SRA Mustang ever. That car rode awesome and handled so neutral and flat. It was amazing. If Ford could offer the Watts link standard, or at least on the GT and GT500, the development for the IRS would be pointless. The Watts link is the best of both worlds. And Saleen and other manufacturers have already done the development. They just need to produce it on a wider scale. Problem solved...
Old 10/7/08, 01:30 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
So until Ford sees it affect their sales, they probably won't put one in.
Oh they'll put one in alright, because Chevy and Dodge have.
Old 10/7/08, 04:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
If Ford could offer the Watts link standard, or at least on the GT and GT500, the development for the IRS would be pointless. The Watts link is the best of both worlds. And Saleen and other manufacturers have already done the development. They just need to produce it on a wider scale. Problem solved...
I agree!
Old 10/7/08, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I will attest to 350Zs being harsh, and will also throw in the Charger having a really soft/squrimy rear-end, as well as the Watts link on the Parnelli Jones edition being the best handling/riding SRA Mustang ever. That car rode awesome and handled so neutral and flat. It was amazing. If Ford could offer the Watts link standard, or at least on the GT and GT500, the development for the IRS would be pointless. The Watts link is the best of both worlds. And Saleen and other manufacturers have already done the development. They just need to produce it on a wider scale. Problem solved...
Sounds like a winner!
Old 10/7/08, 09:01 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Embalmer
That's a logical thought, except the most powerful SN95 cars (03-04 Terminator Cobras) have the IRS, which was retroengineered for that chassis. Why would they put a "weak" IRS in the most powerful Mustang of that era?

Truth is, Ford can make an IRS for our cars and make it affordable as well. They have proven they can engineer both a SRA and IRS for the same chassis. My belief is that those desiring an IRS are in the minority, and most Mustang drivers could care less about the suspension. I would have paid a premium for the IRS, though, and at some point they will have to acknowledge the Camaro and Challenger have done it for similar cost.
lots of cobra owners ended up swapping the terminator IRS out for an SRA because the IRS couldn't handle the power at the drag strip
Old 10/7/08, 09:04 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Cobra is not made for drag racing, it is designed as a sports car to compete with sports cars. That is why it had IRS.
Old 10/7/08, 09:10 AM

Both a live axle and an IRS, presuming both are equally competent examples of the genre (...my girlfriend's VW Beetle's IRS sucked compared to my Bullitt's SRA...), have both their good points and bad.

Live axle:
+: cheap, simple (less to go wrong), slightly lighter overall weight
-: ride OR handling, massive unsprung weight (more important to suspension performance), poor compliance over rough roads (not to be confused with smooth ride).

IRS:
+: ride AND handling, less unsprung weight, more tunable, good rough road compliance
-: more costly, greater overall weight, more complex.

Summary:
For a cheap, simple but limited capability suspension, the SRA is sufficient and probably even superior in the rather limited realm of drag racing. For a better overall (ride, handling, compliance, tunability) suspension at now nominal increases in weight and cost, the IRS is clearly the answer. A consideration is that many (most?) of the folks on this board focus rather narrowly on straight line, drag race type performance, so all the other advantages of an IRS become somewhat moot. Good IRSs, however, will give a better level of handling for a given level of ride quality (and visa versa) and simply better overall performance, compliance and resilience over rougher roads. No, IRS's appeal is not simply cushy ride quality as some try to dismissively assert, indeed, they can be tuned a taut as a bow string for Nth degree performance (see 350Z references).

Contemporary IRS suspension designs -- as opposed to, say, the cobbled SN95 Cobra's -- are indeed very affordable, reliable, rugged and lightweight, and can perform well on both track, road and strip, so I think the ardent "either/or" argument against IRS is at times dated. The ideal solution would be to have both options, which Ford seemed to be initially planning but then bailed out on in a fit of penny-pinching and, due to lack of direct competition, lack of foresight or real interest in expanding the Mustang's appeal.

It will be interesting now that real competition is appearing on stage -- the Challenger and Camaro -- both of which do come stadard with IRS systems, so these arguments may move from the hypothetical to being reality based once all three go head to head. It will be interesting to see how Ford responds and competes, whether to retreat to a bunker mentality of low cost and narrow focus or rather, to meet the new competition head on with high value and overall capability. Also interesting might be how current and future high fuel costs might shift the focus of performance away from simple broad-ax, big-motor straight-line acceleration to a more fully rounded concept incorporating also handling, braking, agility, balance and compliance.
Old 10/7/08, 09:12 AM
Cobra Member

Not having IRS doesn't bother me, but it just seems odd that it doesn't have it.

My source told me that during meetings prior to the 2005 Mustang Launch, there was one man that was Pro-IRS. He wouldn't let the subject go. He said the Mustang must have IRS. Somebody got sick of him, and he got fired.

The next Gen Mustang "should" have IRS. Guess what? Its still on schedule-lol
Old 10/7/08, 10:44 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GTJOHN
My source told me that during meetings prior to the 2005 Mustang Launch, there was one man that was Pro-IRS. He wouldn't let the subject go. He said the Mustang must have IRS. Somebody got sick of him, and he got fired.
John Coletti?
Old 10/7/08, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

The problem with your logic is, most serious drag racers are replacing their 03-04 IRS rear ends with a straight axle setup. There are a number of places marketing these changeovers...

Old 10/7/08, 12:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Probably because developing and offering two completely different suspensions in a bargain performance car isn't cost effective for Ford. I'm guessing that two different suspensions requires other mechanical and engineering adjustments to be made on the assembly line as well, complicating the whole process.
Ford offered SRA and IRS in Mustangs from 1999-2004. SVT Cobras got the IRS, while all other Mustangs got the SRA. All models were reasonably priced, and it didn't appear to mess up the assembly line process at all.
Old 10/7/08, 12:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by max2000jp
Well if you look in the marketplace, Ford is the only mfg offering a SRA in a passenger car. Ford is simply out of touch with the consumer and competition.
And isn't Chevy the only mfg offering a push-rod V8 in a sports car? Are they out of touch with the consumer and competition simply by being unique (or in this case, a holdout to OHC's)?

Look, we're all going to continue to disagree on the merits of SRA vs IRS in our beloved Mustang. Just know that the "everyone else is doing it" argument doesn't work for me, and it's a rather juvenile argument anyway. Even my teenage daughters have given up using that kind of argument on me for everything they want.
Old 10/7/08, 01:00 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
I'd say that if you took two new Mustangs, one SRA and one IRS and picked 10,000 owners of S-197s (regardless of trim) at random to test drive them and didn't tell them that there was any thing different about them, 90% of them couldn't tell you what the difference was (if they noticed any at all) and half of those wouldn't even know the difference between IRS and SRA unless you explained it to them. The only people who argue about this (or even know what rear suspension it has) are the true car enthusiast, people who have read that SRA is bad in magazines, listen to Jeremy Clarkson bash American cars, and the internet racers who base their opinion of a car on the numbers a magazine test says it does on a track (but will never achieve it or even try it for themselves if they had the car). Do you think the 16 year old fat chick down the street with the V-6, auto, 'vert knows what rear end it has? The fact is, the majority of Mustang owners fall into that category.

I personally don't care if is has IRS or not. I don't drag race mine, and I don't take it to the track. And I highly doubt that your handling is restriced by the SRA on the street. If it is, you are headed to jail or the morgue because I have yet to find a public road where I can push mine to it's limit without being reckless, irresponsible, putting someone else's life in danger, or just plain stupid.

The only reason I would object to them changing to an IRS is if it added significantly more weight. The car is porky enough as it is, it doesn't need even more fat to haul around.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 10/7/08 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: What's the BFD with IRS?