Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What's the BFD with IRS?

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/08, 08:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the BFD with IRS?

Rides pretty nice with a sweet set-up...
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...69&postcount=1

More Fun...
http://www.youtube.com/user/sloneracing

Last edited by Topnotch; 10/4/08 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10/4/08, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I would guess the deal is it helps when going over bumps, which the track most likely doesn't have.
Old 10/4/08, 09:19 PM
Cobra R Member

I agree, in real world driving an IRS is noticed right away. Think about it there is a reason why every single Mustang competitor has one, i'm not just talking about the Challenger and Camaro but also the 350Z, RX8 and any other sporty car on the market today. My Cobra has an IRS, though it isn't the greatest setup in the world it is still worlds apart from my GT in terms of handling and just pure comfort.
Old 10/4/08, 11:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I agree, in real world driving an IRS is noticed right away. Think about it there is a reason why every single Mustang competitor has one, i'm not just talking about the Challenger and Camaro but also the 350Z, RX8 and any other sporty car on the market today. My Cobra has an IRS, though it isn't the greatest setup in the world it is still worlds apart from my GT in terms of handling and just pure comfort.
Ford must know something that every other mfg in the world doesn't. The reason Ford sticks with a SRA is because of cost.
Old 10/4/08, 11:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Locally I see a lot of cobra guys remove the IRS and put solid 9" rears in instead.
Old 10/4/08, 11:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Never had IRS so I'm not sure what it would be like. I can't see whats the big deal.
Old 10/4/08, 11:52 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is gonna get ugly lol
Old 10/4/08, 11:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
If you want comfort why buy a mustang? Just curious. How many people actualy race their car on the street any way. I heard that IRS is good for wheel hop is this wrong? Yes I am some one who does not know so spare me that much.

By the way, that Video rocks Thanks for that.

Last edited by GrnT; 10/5/08 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10/5/08, 12:10 AM
FR500 Member

This again if it's not for comfort, think of it as beneficial for control on real-world streets. IIRC, even the S197 gets wheel hop even with the SRA. Personally, not too fond of the live axle hula my car does when accelerating out of a bumpy corner (not going too fast, and the slop not too severe) can't say it's confidence-inspiring. If you drag race, or race only on smooth circuits, a SRA is all you need.
Old 10/5/08, 03:49 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think of it this way: Ask yourself if you'd want to go running down the street with the laces of both your Nikes tied together.
Old 10/5/08, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

OH dear, here we go again. Thanks Topnotch for resurrecting the old SRA vs IRS debate once again. Let the cat fight begin! lol!
Old 10/6/08, 07:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't understand why we don't just call a spade a spade here. Ford has no money. They do the minimum required to build a car that can perform well enough to sell units because that is all they can do. It's the equivalent to asking a poor family, why they buy cheap Ikea furniture instead of shopping at Ethan Allen, BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO. Besides, they know their bread and butter is the V6 model anyway, and those are cheap enough to not warrant having an IRS. Their SRA setup preforms pretty well, and it works well for the application. A sporty car that can handle the abuse of 17 yr olds, and 70 yr olds alike, and still cost less than 30k. Ford can't be redesigning or reengineering things now, they have much bigger problems...Like existing.

Last edited by SVTJayC; 10/6/08 at 07:56 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 10/6/08, 11:28 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SRA FTW!

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=473347
Old 10/6/08, 11:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by yur1279
Locally I see a lot of cobra guys remove the IRS and put solid 9" rears in instead.

Yes, I know of some who have also. This is mostly for drag racers. Don't get me wrong I like going to the drags too but I maybe go 2 times a year(was actually at the Tasca event in NH yesterday). Many of the guys swapping out the IRS for a SRA are big time racers and don't care much about the comfort, everyday use and superior handling that the IRS provides. Although I'll admit it's tough for an IRS to handle 700HP modded Cobras, but the ZR1 Corvette had IRS and 650+HP.

For those who feel that the IRS isn't important, wait until the Camaro mops the floor with the Mustang on the road courses in the coming year or two. It's not something that is gonna be fun to see but it will without a doubt happen.

Also I don't understand why we can't have a comfortable Mustang. It's 2008, not 1968 we can have looks, power, comfort and handling. The current s197 was originally built with IRS in mind it shouldn't be that hard to put one in now, and it should be worlds better than the compromised IRS from the 99-04 Cobras. The new Challenger has an IRS, how much more expensive is it than the Mustang? I say bump up the MSRP and give the car what it needs to compete with the upcoming competition.
Old 10/6/08, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Amen!!!
Old 10/6/08, 12:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've owned a few cars with IRS, and they do handle real world corners better than a live axle when pushed hard. I'm a drag racer, though, so IRS holds little appeal for me.

On a side note, I've driven a friends '07 Saleen Parnelli Jones Mustang. He let me wring it out very hard in the twisties, around town, and on the highway. While it still has a live axle, the Watts linkage is awesome and is the best handling/riding S197 I've ever driven. Handles corners as well as IRS, while launching hard like a solid axle should. A Watts linkage will likely end up on my '07 GT at some point in the future.
Old 10/6/08, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TMSBrad
Great, that will come in real handy the next time I commute on a race track to work

I used to use the same defense on haters, so i'm well versed in it. But the fact is, it's a lousy defense because it has nothing at all to do with the conditions your average driver will be using this car in. Again, why is it so hard to admit that its nothing more than a cost issue, and Ford is cheap?
Old 10/6/08, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SVTJayC
Great, that will come in real handy the next time I commute on a race track to work

I used to use the same defense on haters, so i'm well versed in it. But the fact is, it's a lousy defense because it has nothing at all to do with the conditions your average driver will be using this car in. Again, why is it so hard to admit that its nothing more than a cost issue, and Ford is cheap?
Because I'm cheap and dont NEED the IRS. If Ford wants to offer it in a SE, so be it.
Old 10/6/08, 01:27 PM
Cobra Member

Ask Dodge owners about their half shafts
Old 10/6/08, 01:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RCSignals
Ask Dodge owners about their half shafts
Why? Did they break? Is that what you're getting at? So because one crap-tastic manufacturer's implementation failed, Ford should just stick with SRA. Well sure, if they feel they can't do better, than fine. GM seems to think they can. Certainly Nissan, BMW, etc do.

Quick Reply: What's the BFD with IRS?