2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What engine oil for the new 5.0 TiVCT and 3.7L

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/10, 03:04 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Each to his own I guess, heck, go low buck and use recycled oil and $1.99 no-name filters...

I remember way back when, I worked at a real old time auto parts store, the owner was about 1000 years old and could hardly see past the end of his nose. Had a '48 dodge that he drove every day and recycled oil was all he ever used in it and the cheapest filters we could get.

Then we also had a customer who never changed his oil. He said oil doesn't wear out and he just added oil when it got low and put a new filter on every so often.
Old 5/1/10, 03:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Each to his own I guess, heck, go low buck and use recycled oil and $1.99 no-name filters...

I remember way back when, I worked at a real old time auto parts store, the owner was about 1000 years old and could hardly see past the end of his nose. Had a '48 dodge that he drove every day and recycled oil was all he ever used in it and the cheapest filters we could get.

Then we also had a customer who never changed his oil. He said oil doesn't wear out and he just added oil when it got low and put a new filter on every so often.
Oil doesn't wear out. . . but all the parts it lubricates surely will. (OK, I know oil wears out...)

Also, check your sig... Mustang has another letter in it you left out.
Old 5/1/10, 03:16 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
Also, check your sig... Mustang has another letter in it you left out.
Heck, the way I fat-finger the keyboard I'm doing good not to get too many letters into what I try to type...
Old 5/1/10, 03:37 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The thing the picture doesn't relay is the smell. It is not pure oil. It has the smell of combustion gases mixed in from the blow-by. Again, this is from clean oil - less than 1k on it and the engine had about 7k when this pic was taken.

So regardless of dino, Motorcraft blend, full synth, or whatever ams oil & royal purple are, they are all getting contaminated with spent/unspent fuel and gases from the combustion chamber because rings do not make a 100% perfect seal.

When you get a separator you'll find out.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/1/10 at 04:20 PM.
Old 5/1/10, 03:37 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

And people wonder why American cars didn't last. J/K mine have been great!

Back on topic: I wasn't trying to start a what oil is better war. I wanted to know if anyone had info on TiVCT function and if different oil can mess it up.

Originally Posted by David Young
I went from the recommended 5w-20 to 5w-30 in my Dodge 4 cylinder that has (dual variable timing) vvt. I lost .4 tenths of a second on my 0 to 60 times. I changed back to the recommended oil weight.
This is what concerns me so I will be sticking to 5w20 and a Motorcraft filter. I have been using 10w30 in my Truck for 9 years now with no problems even though recommended was 5w20. My friend got me thinking with all this new VCT stuff.

I am enjoying all this good info on oil though. Its amazing how such a simple thing as an oil change can become a big decision.
Old 5/1/10, 03:59 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
The thing the picture doesn't relay is the smell. It is not pure oil. It has the smell of combustion gases mixed in from the blow-by. Again, this is from clean oil - less than 1k on it and the engine had about 7k when this pic was taken.

So regardless of dino, Motorcraft blend, full synth, or whatever ams oil & royal purple are, they are all getting contaminated with spent/unspent fuel and gases from the combustion chamber because rings to not make a 100% perfect seal.
The additive package in oil is what eventually breaks down. The additives are there partially to suspend the contaminate particles in the oil so they don't scuff the surfaces in the motor.

And much of the developement that has come from the fight to lower emissions is for better sealing of the cumbustion process, both in keeping oil contamination out of the combustion and in keeping combustion by-products out of the crankcase.

Amsoil is one of the original synthetic oils sold in the U.S. They have done testing in the harshest engine environments around, that being long-haul deisel truck engines, having put over a million miles on a diesel motor on a single original oil fill using their filters and replenishment additive packages and showing no appreciable engine wear when they tore the engine down for inspection.
Old 5/1/10, 04:20 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting.