2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Want, want want. But Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/11, 04:32 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Well like bone is saying, it's really up to the tech and the service department. It pays to befriend your dealership technicians. When I worked for the dealerships, it was up to us to decide. Lots of modded cars that we warrantied. But the real A-holes got nothing from us but voided warranties. Tip your tech for regular service a few times. Those guys really appreciate that and it's a way to get to know those guys. Hell, we used to mod vehicles at the dealer for customers.
Old 11/3/11, 05:50 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grabber blue gt

I agree with buying one from a wrecked car, but what about the kit from ameican muscle that includes the PCM to throw the 5.0 motor in a different car. If I bought the 5.0 motor with the PCM for my 2010 how would they VIN lock it? Also what if I threw the 5.0 in my 1968 fastback, why would they need to vin lock it?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-c...e-control.html
I mean this is the kit from American muscle. All you would need to use out of the kit is the PCM itself an just use the rest of YOUR factory components. I mean yes it is $1400 but I would rather that than give up my warranty, or like you said just get one from a wrecked car.

EDIT -- will only work on manuals as the pcm is tuned for a manual transmission application
But I'm pretty sure when you order this from a.m. they will ask for the vin of the vehicle this is going into. Could be wrong. But Ford is the one that is picky on their vin numbers. A.m. probably don't care. But Ford will vin lock their pcms..
Old 11/3/11, 05:51 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Well like bone is saying, it's really up to the tech and the service department. It pays to befriend your dealership technicians. When I worked for the dealerships, it was up to us to decide. Lots of modded cars that we warrantied. But the real A-holes got nothing from us but voided warranties. Tip your tech for regular service a few times. Those guys really appreciate that and it's a way to get to know those guys. Hell, we used to mod vehicles at the dealer for customers.
Kinda how it is at our dealership
Old 11/3/11, 06:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmmmm I wondered this. What if you bought a seperate PCM and used that one with your tune on it. Than god forbid anything happens, you just put your original stock pcm back in....... Pretty expensive, but hey it may work and atleast you can mod the hell outta your car
Thing is, you have to have your car key "added" to the new PCM. As far as I know, only the dealer can do that.
Old 11/3/11, 06:19 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by VTXFrank

Thing is, you have to have your car key "added" to the new PCM. As far as I know, only the dealer can do that.
Nope.. pats system. Is a separate module
Old 11/7/11, 11:16 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any update on this texas?
Old 11/8/11, 06:05 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Been to busy at work to really check. It's raining today so hopefully we slow down so I can research some.
Old 11/12/11, 01:30 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Ok. So from what I can see this should work with no problems. Anyone want to be a guinea pig?
Old 11/13/11, 09:54 AM
GT Member

Ehhh wtf I'll do it lol. Once my car gets some miles on it though, I only have 350 as of today so I was planning on doing this maybe in the spring. It would be GREAT if someone could try this out before hand.

I was also reading on another forum that the only thing that pops up in the PCM is the code "p1000" which only states that the battery was disconnected OR the pcm was reflashed, but its up to the dealer to determine which one it was. Basically if your car is 100% stock and you put the stock tune back you can just say you disconnected the battery to see if the symptoms went away with resetting the battery.

All these sound like logical options but we just need someone to test them........ anyone lol?
Old 11/13/11, 04:59 PM
V6 Member

The p1000 would clear after about 25 miles if driven properly it's called a obd drive cycle
Old 11/13/11, 05:16 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

P1000 does not indicate a flash. So your good
Old 11/13/11, 09:27 PM
GT Member

so basically you can even use your stock pcm and just tune it back to stock, drive it for a bit and than bring it in for whatever reason???

I read the TSB from ford a few times and it basically states that if you tune the car the p1000 code pops up, but its up to the dealer to determine if it was just a battery reset, or the car was actually tuned. Basically if they see a CAI and headers they will say it was tuned. But if its BONE STOCK and you say o0o yeah I reset the battery to see if it solved the problem, theres nothing wrong with that and they cant say the car was tuned.

Basically theres not a code that pops up in the pcm that says "HEY THIS CAR WAS TUNED BY ......., VOID MY WARRANTY". Its just the p1000 which is the same as resetting the battery correct?
Old 11/13/11, 10:01 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

so basically you can even use your stock pcm and just tune it back to stock, drive it for a bit and than bring it in for whatever reason???
no...

I read the TSB from ford a few times and it basically states that if you tune the car the p1000 code pops up, but its up to the dealer to determine if it was just a battery reset, or the car was actually tuned. Basically if they see a CAI and headers they will say it was tuned. But if its BONE STOCK and you say o0o yeah I reset the battery to see if it solved the problem, theres nothing wrong with that and they cant say the car was tuned.

Basically theres not a code that pops up in the pcm that says "HEY THIS CAR WAS TUNED BY ......., VOID MY WARRANTY". Its just the p1000 which is the same as resetting the battery correct?
P1000 let's the technician know to check the flash counter.. the flash counter does not set codes so no there is no code to void your warranty. If you tune the Pcm the flash count goes up one. You flash it back to stock and it counts one again. Ford then sees two unauthorized flashes... Get it?
Old 11/13/11, 10:08 PM
GT Member

But now that cant just be like you reset the battery twice? Like you "reset the battery" when you tuned it and you "reset the battery" when you put it back to stock?

Listen I'm all down for buying a second PCM, but if I can get "away with it" on my stock pcm I would much rather do that. Also how much does a second PCM cost through ford and will I be able to order one for an auto trans? I can just give them the VIN to my fox body and say I am throwing the 5.0 and auto trans in it.
Old 11/13/11, 10:13 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

But now that cant just be like you reset the battery twice? Like you "reset the battery" when you tuned it and you "reset the battery" when you put it back to stock?

Listen I'm all down for buying a second PCM, but if I can get "away with it" on my stock pcm I would much rather do that. Also how much does a second PCM cost through ford and will I be able to order one for an auto trans? I can just give them the VIN to my fox body and say I am throwing the 5.0 and auto trans in it.
Reseting the battery doesn't count as a flash.
So no that can't work. The only thing that counts as a flash is an actual flash. Nothing else. And I'm not sure on the cost of a Pcm. I can find out tomorrow.
Old 11/13/11, 10:18 PM
GT Member

Alright I gotcha now. and the flash counter is in the PCM itself?

Also yes if you can find out the cost of a PCM that would be great. And I can order one that is for an auto trans right?

EDIT -- Check this out!!! Can I (or anyone else) just order the PCM of their code and just use that? Its only $495 and thats great!!!
http://www.partswebsite.com/fordonli...n=3&type=parts

(ECM'S are in the middle of the page)

Last edited by grabber blue gt; 11/13/11 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11/13/11, 10:44 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Alright I gotcha now. and the flash counter is in the PCM itself?

Also yes if you can find out the cost of a PCM that would be great. And I can order one that is for an auto trans right?

EDIT -- Check this out!!! Can I (or anyone else) just order the PCM of their code and just use that? Its only $495 and thats great!!!
http://www.partswebsite.com/fordonli...n=3&type=parts

(ECM'S are in the middle of the page)
Could not find info on where the flash counter is actually located. From what I can tell its in the Pcm..
Keep in mind the Pcm will need to be programmed with your vin number to pass state inspections.
And yes they can tune it for automatic transmissions.
Old 11/13/11, 10:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Could not find info on where the flash counter is actually located. From what I can tell its in the Pcm..
Keep in mind the Pcm will need to be programmed with your vin number to pass state inspections.
And yes they can tune it for automatic transmissions.
Well I was planning on using the stock pcm and all stock components for inspection, so do they still need a vin number? and can I just give them the vin to my foxbody and say I'm doing the coyote conversion with the auto trans?

And basically what else do I have to do once I order that PCM from ford online parts? Does it come programmed, or do I need to take it to a dealer?
Old 11/13/11, 11:09 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Well I was planning on using the stock pcm and all stock components for inspection, so do they still need a vin number? and can I just give them the vin to my foxbody and say I'm doing the coyote conversion with the auto trans?

And basically what else do I have to do once I order that PCM from ford online parts? Does it come programmed, or do I need to take it to a dealer?
Your current gt vin has all the info you need. Send it too me in a pm and I can tell you all the things to tell your dealer so it comes programmed just like your current Pcm.

If you put the stock Pcm back in for inspection you have nothing to worry about.
Old 11/14/11, 01:35 PM
GT Member

Wait so my plan might work??????????????????? I will go nuts if it does =D
LOL isn't this fraud?

Quick Reply: Want, want want. But Why?