Sponsored By:

Want, want want. But Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/11, 03:14 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mystickeith50
it wont...this topic has been beaten to death....ford got smart and starting in 11 they have the secret genie inside that tells all.
Again... I work on them.. I know the signs of a flash... I think I would know...
Old 11/2/11, 03:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
hahaha. Theres a lamp under the dash with the genie in it.
Well, now I can blame the genie when the gas pedal hits the floor vigorously instead of saying the devil made me do it....maybe the wife will believe that cuz she always says "sure" when the devil is mentioned.

She hasn't caught on to me having to test the high speed shifting of the tranny each time I drive it so I may be lucky here......
Old 11/2/11, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of you may not realize that this 5.0 Coyote engine is putting out a lot of power for it's size. 302 Cubic Inch V-8. The 428 Cobra Jet in 1969 I believe was rated at 335 HP. The engine is designed to last like others have said for 150,000+ miles. Stock form it you don't continually beat the **** out of it I bet it will. Getting too aggressive tunes and advancing the engine timing more than a aftermarket tune should, will have nasty effects. Can you say cylinder / piston #8 is toast because of detonation???
It is **** fast stock, IMHO!
Regards,
Phil
Old 11/2/11, 05:06 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Phil_R
A lot of you may not realize that this 5.0 Coyote engine is putting out a lot of power for it's size. 302 Cubic Inch V-8. The 428 Cobra Jet in 1969 I believe was rated at 335 HP. The engine is designed to last like others have said for 150,000+ miles. Stock form it you don't continually beat the **** out of it I bet it will. Getting too aggressive tunes and advancing the engine timing more than a aftermarket tune should, will have nasty effects. Can you say cylinder / piston #8 is toast because of detonation???
It is **** fast stock, IMHO!
Regards,
Phil
There's always someone that wants to go a little faster
Old 11/2/11, 07:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't care if you work on them or not, this isn't a 05-10. It's doesnt work, or let me rephrase, it may seem in theory that it would work but it doesn't. It seems they put more time into not letting this happen than other engineering on the car. Not to mention if they even sniff something is array they will void it....then fight ford, they got ish loads of money.
Old 11/2/11, 07:33 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by mystickeith50
I don't care if you work on them or not, this isn't a 05-10. It's doesnt work, or let me rephrase, it may seem in theory that it would work but it doesn't. It seems they put more time into not letting this happen than other engineering on the car. Not to mention if they even sniff something is array they will void it....then fight ford, they got ish loads of money.
Whatever you say you obviously know what is in these cars... Why even bother right? I mean the governments computer secrets are unhackable right? Nope... Guess what, some one found a way around their firewall. There is always a backdoor to any system. There is one for the 2011 and 2012 mustang. Someone just has to dig into the system and figure it out. But then again you know its impossible

Do you even know what tells Ford the Pcm has been tuned??

Last edited by texastboneking; 11/2/11 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11/2/11, 08:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Whatever you say you obviously know what is in these cars... Why even bother right? I mean the governments computer secrets are unhackable right? Nope... Guess what, some one found a way around their firewall. There is always a backdoor to any system. There is one for the 2011 and 2012 mustang. Someone just has to dig into the system and figure it out. But then again you know its impossible

Do you even know what tells Ford the Pcm has been tuned??
The PCM changes are not what Ford, or any other manufacturer look at when a warranty claim is challenged. The OBD system, records and stores operating conditions. This data is probably even retrieved and stored somewhere far away from your vehicle. This is how they protect themselves (and other consumers) from costs resulting from disingenuous warranty claims. Magnusson Moss is on Ford's side when you run a vehicle outside of stock operating conditions.
Just my .02
Old 11/2/11, 08:44 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by montreal ponies

The PCM changes are not what Ford, or any other manufacturer look at when a warranty claim is challenged. The OBD system, records and stores operating conditions. This data is probably even retrieved and stored somewhere far away from your vehicle. This is how they protect themselves (and other consumers) from costs resulting from disingenuous warranty claims. Magnusson Moss is on Ford's side when you run a vehicle outside of stock operating conditions.
Just my .02
the Pcm is the brains of the obd system. It is the module that stores all that information you are talking about. So if you put a new one in. All that stored info is lost... Ford does not have the ability to retrieve the cars information wirelessly (like onstar).
Again you don't know how these work. I am specializing in the electronic systems on Fords modern cars. I can even tell you what parts are in a Pcm, ic, tcm, rcm (and so on and so forth), modules. Do you know what hs-can, ms-can, and gateway modules are? Ever heard of can-bus? If you don't know what you are talking about don't argue like you do...

Not trying to start anything but its annoying to have ppl that don't understand the system argue with you understanding these systems is my JOB lol

Last edited by texastboneking; 11/2/11 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11/2/11, 08:53 PM
Banned

Are you a mechanic? You said that you work on these cars and can tell when the computer has been flashed. Do you work with the customer if they are honest with you ; or do you like to be the barer of bad news to deny and void their warranty?

Last edited by UndercoverCop; 11/2/11 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11/2/11, 08:59 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Yes I am a mechanic at a Ford dealer. I try and help the customer when I can. But I can't lie to Ford when they have me send Pcm data to them. They get to see it.
Old 11/2/11, 09:05 PM
Banned

The reason I ask is because some dealers honor warranty work and some do not ( on modded cars). So basically, warranty work from a dealer is total potluck. On other sites and this one, guys that have tunes, headers etc and are getting warranty coverage and some are not. It's a crap shoot and doesn't seem to be quite fair. Some dealers are very customer friendly and some obviously are not.
Old 11/2/11, 09:11 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by UndercoverCop
The reason I ask is because some dealers honor warranty work and some do not ( on modded cars). So basically, warranty work from a dealer is total potluck. On other sites and this one, guys that have tunes, headers etc and are getting warranty coverage and some are not. It's a crap shoot and doesn't seem to be quite fair. Some dealers are very customer friendly and some obviously are not.
It's the ppl in the dealer that make it or break it. I try my hardest to help the customer. Small town dealers tend to be more friendly. They are not as monitored by Ford and its easier to hide mods. Big dealers get enough work in that if they deny your warranty and you don't get it fixed there they still have a lot of other cars to work on. Small town dealers don't have as much to work on so they try and get your warranty to go through so they have more to work on. Bottom line is talk to ppl. You would be surprised what talking to the service manager will do.
Old 11/2/11, 09:41 PM
GT Member

Ok some may be confused on what I was actually asking, but texastboneking you tell me if this would work. I plan on driving my car for lets say 5k miles before doing any mods that requires a tune. Say once I reach 5k miles or w.e, and I get an intake, tune, and new pcm that I am going to use with my new custom tune, how would ford be able to tell I did that if anytime I bring it in I just put the STOCK ORIGINAL PCM in and put the stock intake back? This way the ORIGINAL STOCK pcm still has all info on it (5k+ miles worth) and nothing will seem out of order.

If you could let us know about that it would be great, cause the extra money for another PCM is nothing if you get to keep your warranty. OOO and btw everyone, I want 10% commission on all PCM's sold if this works lmao jk.
Old 11/2/11, 09:47 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Ok some may be confused on what I was actually asking, but texastboneking you tell me if this would work. I plan on driving my car for lets say 5k miles before doing any mods that requires a tune. Say once I reach 5k miles or w.e, and I get an intake, tune, and new pcm that I am going to use with my new custom tune, how would ford be able to tell I did that if anytime I bring it in I just put the STOCK ORIGINAL PCM in and put the stock intake back? This way the ORIGINAL STOCK pcm still has all info on it (5k+ miles worth) and nothing will seem out of order.

If you could let us know about that it would be great, cause the extra money for another PCM is nothing if you get to keep your warranty. OOO and btw everyone, I want 10% commission on all PCM's sold if this works lmao jk.
I perfectly understood your question earlier.. in theory this is a flawless way of protecting your warranty. The only issue that I am worried about (and I'm looking into it) is if the flash count is stored on a separate module or if the Pcm is what monitors the flash count. Once I know that answer I can give you a definite answer . Give me a couple days to research
Old 11/2/11, 10:00 PM
GT Member

Thanks a ton man!!! This will help all of us the 5.0s greatly.
Old 11/2/11, 10:02 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Thanks a ton man!!! This will help all of us the 5.0s greatly.
I'm all for modding very little on my car is factory
Old 11/2/11, 10:09 PM
GT Member

Wish there were more techs like you out there lol. There is a guy at my local dealer who is a service tech and drives a 1990 foxbody with an 04 cobra motor in it. Than the sales manager drives a heavily modded 2008 saleen, and the general manager drives a 2011 5.0 with a boss manifold, full exhaust, and an intake
Old 11/2/11, 10:31 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Wish there were more techs like you out there lol. There is a guy at my local dealer who is a service tech and drives a 1990 foxbody with an 04 cobra motor in it. Than the sales manager drives a heavily modded 2008 saleen, and the general manager drives a 2011 5.0 with a boss manifold, full exhaust, and an intake
I believe that modding should be worry free. Kinda like jailbreaking an iPhone or rooting an Android. Just because you install what you want shouldn't void your warranty unless its something huge, like the cylinder 8 issue.. that should have voided the warranty. The tuners were careless with the timing and the knock sensors. So yes that's not Fords fault. But voiding a warranty repair on a cracked exhaust manifold because the "tune" let the exhaust get too hot causing it to crack is just stupid...
Old 11/2/11, 10:40 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

UPDATE ON RESEARCH!
ok few small issues I was forgetting...
When a Pcm is bought from ford the Pcm has to be calibrated and the vin installed on the Pcm. Meaning Ford would know your car is supposed to have a new Pcm... So that means that you would have to find a wrecked car with your same Pcm so Ford doesn't know you got your hands one one. Another positive to this is a junkyard Pcm is a lot cheaper than a Ford dealer one.

Also you will have to have a custom tune built because the chances are is that the Pcm you got from that car is probably different from your current Pcm on a few parameters and it might cause some issues on a preloaded tune.

Lastly you will have to install your factory Pcm every time you go in for a state inspection because these vehicles are vin locked and if they plug into the dlc and the computer reads a different vin than what's listed on the car you will not pass..

Still researching
Old 11/3/11, 12:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
UPDATE ON RESEARCH!
ok few small issues I was forgetting...
When a Pcm is bought from ford the Pcm has to be calibrated and the vin installed on the Pcm. Meaning Ford would know your car is supposed to have a new Pcm... So that means that you would have to find a wrecked car with your same Pcm so Ford doesn't know you got your hands one one. Another positive to this is a junkyard Pcm is a lot cheaper than a Ford dealer one.

Also you will have to have a custom tune built because the chances are is that the Pcm you got from that car is probably different from your current Pcm on a few parameters and it might cause some issues on a preloaded tune.

Lastly you will have to install your factory Pcm every time you go in for a state inspection because these vehicles are vin locked and if they plug into the dlc and the computer reads a different vin than what's listed on the car you will not pass..

Still researching
I agree with buying one from a wrecked car, but what about the kit from ameican muscle that includes the PCM to throw the 5.0 motor in a different car. If I bought the 5.0 motor with the PCM for my 2010 how would they VIN lock it? Also what if I threw the 5.0 in my 1968 fastback, why would they need to vin lock it?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-c...e-control.html
I mean this is the kit from American muscle. All you would need to use out of the kit is the PCM itself an just use the rest of YOUR factory components. I mean yes it is $1400 but I would rather that than give up my warranty, or like you said just get one from a wrecked car.

EDIT -- will only work on manuals as the pcm is tuned for a manual transmission application

Last edited by grabber blue gt; 11/3/11 at 12:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Want, want want. But Why?