The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Want, want want. But Why? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/want-want-want-but-why-501653/)

BarryT 11/1/11 08:26 PM

Want, want want. But Why?

Everything I have read about installing a CAI with a tune outweighs my thoughts of doing damage to the engine and voiding my warranty, and I'm ready to plunk down the cash, but I gotta ask, why didn't Ford program the ECM to be as aggressive as the aftermarket tunes are to begin with. Why would they leave HP on the table when they're in a dog-eat-dog fight with Chevrolet over HP ratings? Are there long term dependency issues if you run the hot tunes? Are they being cautious due to the variability of quality fuel in their marketing area?

I plan on owning this ride for a while. I do not want to shorten it's lifespan or resale capability.

Shelby08 11/1/11 08:44 PM

Ford beats the Camaro down no problem even with less HP...I think it's because they know people are going to go out and tune these things themselves and they want something to be left in the engine for the owner to do themselves...they run a conservative tune and everything is fine when you do yours....believe it or not they know what they're doing...

2012GTCS 11/1/11 08:49 PM

I can't offer too much advice but I can say that Ford does have to meet certain regs and probably more HP isn't beneficial to them. Also fuel consumption, CAFE laws, and maybe higher insurance premiums if there was more HP?

texastboneking 11/1/11 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by BarryT
Everything I have read about installing a CAI with a tune outweighs my thoughts of doing damage to the engine and voiding my warranty, and I'm ready to plunk down the cash, but I gotta ask, why didn't Ford program the ECM to be as aggressive as the aftermarket tunes are to begin with. Why would they leave HP on the table when they're in a dog-eat-dog fight with Chevrolet over HP ratings? Are there long term dependency issues if you run the hot tunes? Are they being cautious due to the variability of quality fuel in their marketing area?

I plan on owning this ride for a while. I do not want to shorten it's lifespan or resale capability.

Keep in mind Ford is making its tunes with several variables. One, the tune has to conform to all types of drivers, ranging from 18 yr old kids to 80 yr old grandpa's. Two the tune has to be safe enough for the car to last past the warranty expiration mileage.. third the tune has to perform optimaly in all states/weather conditions. Most aftermarket tunes will build a tune for the weather you live in. And fourth the tune must be able to pass emissions while causing no harm to the emissions equipment installed on the car (I.e. cats, egr (which most tunes turn off), evap, and smog pumps where applicable)

MRGTX 11/1/11 09:33 PM

Because more power means more stress on every component... which means a smaller bottom line as they pay out more warranty cash for failures that might never have happened with a more conservative state of tune.

Plus...people expect their cars to last 150,000 - 200,000 miles. A car tuned to its
limit will live a shorter life.

grabber blue gt 11/1/11 11:16 PM

hmmmmm I wondered this. What if you bought a seperate PCM and used that one with your tune on it. Than god forbid anything happens, you just put your original stock pcm back in....... Pretty expensive, but hey it may work and atleast you can mod the hell outta your car

fdjizm 11/2/11 05:52 AM

Ford has to make a tune that works in every state under every condition of every season of the year, so yes they have to leave HP on the table.
The OEM tune needs a bunch of breathing room, it already runs hard stock and beats the chubby camaro with less HP.

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt (Post 6170757)
hmmmmm I wondered this. What if you bought a seperate PCM and used that one with your tune on it. Than god forbid anything happens, you just put your original stock pcm back in....... Pretty expensive, but hey it may work and atleast you can mod the hell outta your car

Because the ECM would give a P1000 code telling the dealer that it hasn't been driven at least 500 miles. (not mileage wise, meaning, self engine/sensor checks, running time etc...) trust me they got it covered.
It's been thought of already, try driving your car 500 miles with a blown motor lol.

texastboneking 11/2/11 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by fdjizm

Because the ECM would give a P1000 code telling the dealer that it hasn't been driven at least 500 miles. (not mileage wise, meaning, self engine/sensor checks, running time etc...) trust me they got it covered.
It's been thought of already, try driving your car 500 miles with a blown motor lol.

Wait a minute... The p1000 only means the codes were cleared or the battery was disconnected. The code does not mean the pcm was flashed. I think it could work :)

LLZuB 11/2/11 07:50 AM

Because if they give you all the power the first year, the engine gets old fast. This way they can keep the same engine year to year and tune it differently and say the new one has more power than the outgoing model with a simple recalibration of the tune.

fdjizm 11/2/11 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by texastboneking (Post 6170799)
Wait a minute... The p1000 only means the codes were cleared or the battery was disconnected. The code does not mean the pcm was flashed. I think it could work :)

Ok so you bring your car to the dealer with a blown motor and 0 miles on the ECM, how do you think that is going to go? lol

texastboneking 11/2/11 09:20 AM

Pcm doesn't count mileage. The ic module does. So he should be clear there...

texastboneking 11/2/11 09:28 AM

My concern would be if the flash counter is built into the Pcm or if it is a separate module. If it is a separate module then changing the Pcm won't work. If it is in the Pcm then your good.

fdjizm 11/2/11 09:50 AM

It's not all about mileage, the PCM would say it has not completed sensor checks etc... they thought of all this stuff. lol

texastboneking 11/2/11 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by fdjizm
It's not all about mileage, the PCM would say it has not completed sensor checks etc... they thought of all this stuff. lol

Right. But that ONLY indicates that the codes were cleared or that the battery was disconnected. That in no way shows that the Pcm was changed... I work on these cars. I have to determine if they have been tuned it not. And I can yell you that if the monitors are not complete in No way does that void the warranty.

LEwis26 11/2/11 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by texastboneking (Post 6170890)
Right. But that ONLY indicates that the codes were cleared or that the battery was disconnected. That in no way shows that the Pcm was changed... I work on these cars. I have to determine if they have been tuned it not. And I can yell you that if the monitors are not complete in No way does that void the warranty.

Agreed. Because if a car is not running right, most people will try disconnecting the battery to reset everything.

RandyW 11/2/11 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by MRGTX (Post 6170713)
Because more power means more stress on every component... which means a smaller bottom line as they pay out more warranty cash for failures that might never have happened with a more conservative state of tune.

Plus...people expect their cars to last 150,000 - 200,000 miles. A car tuned to its
limit will live a shorter life.

That's what I figure. People expect that a modern engine ought to go 200,000 miles or more without needing an overhaul. A lot of people who own Mustangs are willing to sacrifice some longevity for more fun. Many of us put less than 10,000 miles per year on it, so even if the engine longevity is decreased by 20% (a number I just pulled out of thin air), we'll still have many years of fun before any work needs to be done.

grabber blue gt 11/2/11 01:17 PM

Wait so my plan might work??????????????????? I will go nuts if it does =D

texastboneking 11/2/11 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Wait so my plan might work??????????????????? I will go nuts if it does =D

I'll do some research. But sounds good to me ;)

mystickeith50 11/2/11 01:42 PM

it wont...this topic has been beaten to death....ford got smart and starting in 11 they have the secret genie inside that tells all.

2012GTCS 11/2/11 01:52 PM

hahaha. Theres a lamp under the dash with the genie in it.