Notices
2010-2014 Mustang News on the Previous Generation Mustang

Want, want want. But Why?

Old 11/1/11, 08:26 PM
  #1  
V6 Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: July 22, 2011
Posts: 54
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want, want want. But Why?

Everything I have read about installing a CAI with a tune outweighs my thoughts of doing damage to the engine and voiding my warranty, and I'm ready to plunk down the cash, but I gotta ask, why didn't Ford program the ECM to be as aggressive as the aftermarket tunes are to begin with. Why would they leave HP on the table when they're in a dog-eat-dog fight with Chevrolet over HP ratings? Are there long term dependency issues if you run the hot tunes? Are they being cautious due to the variability of quality fuel in their marketing area?

I plan on owning this ride for a while. I do not want to shorten it's lifespan or resale capability.
BarryT is offline  
Old 11/1/11, 08:44 PM
  #2  
Cobra Member
 
Shelby08's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 18, 2011
Location: North Carolina (currently deployed)
Posts: 1,142
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford beats the Camaro down no problem even with less HP...I think it's because they know people are going to go out and tune these things themselves and they want something to be left in the engine for the owner to do themselves...they run a conservative tune and everything is fine when you do yours....believe it or not they know what they're doing...
Shelby08 is offline  
Old 11/1/11, 08:49 PM
  #3  
Cobra R Member
 
2012GTCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 24, 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,532
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't offer too much advice but I can say that Ford does have to meet certain regs and probably more HP isn't beneficial to them. Also fuel consumption, CAFE laws, and maybe higher insurance premiums if there was more HP?
2012GTCS is offline  
Old 11/1/11, 08:53 PM
  #4  
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone
 
texastboneking's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 5, 2011
Location: Cleburne, Tx
Posts: 3,744
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryT
Everything I have read about installing a CAI with a tune outweighs my thoughts of doing damage to the engine and voiding my warranty, and I'm ready to plunk down the cash, but I gotta ask, why didn't Ford program the ECM to be as aggressive as the aftermarket tunes are to begin with. Why would they leave HP on the table when they're in a dog-eat-dog fight with Chevrolet over HP ratings? Are there long term dependency issues if you run the hot tunes? Are they being cautious due to the variability of quality fuel in their marketing area?

I plan on owning this ride for a while. I do not want to shorten it's lifespan or resale capability.
Keep in mind Ford is making its tunes with several variables. One, the tune has to conform to all types of drivers, ranging from 18 yr old kids to 80 yr old grandpa's. Two the tune has to be safe enough for the car to last past the warranty expiration mileage.. third the tune has to perform optimaly in all states/weather conditions. Most aftermarket tunes will build a tune for the weather you live in. And fourth the tune must be able to pass emissions while causing no harm to the emissions equipment installed on the car (I.e. cats, egr (which most tunes turn off), evap, and smog pumps where applicable)
texastboneking is offline  
Old 11/1/11, 09:33 PM
  #5  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
MRGTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 18, 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 2,309
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Because more power means more stress on every component... which means a smaller bottom line as they pay out more warranty cash for failures that might never have happened with a more conservative state of tune.

Plus...people expect their cars to last 150,000 - 200,000 miles. A car tuned to its
limit will live a shorter life.
MRGTX is offline  
Old 11/1/11, 11:16 PM
  #6  
GT Member
 
grabber blue gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 23, 2011
Posts: 196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmmmm I wondered this. What if you bought a seperate PCM and used that one with your tune on it. Than god forbid anything happens, you just put your original stock pcm back in....... Pretty expensive, but hey it may work and atleast you can mod the hell outta your car
grabber blue gt is offline  
Old 11/2/11, 05:52 AM
  #7  
Cobra R Member
 
fdjizm's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 6, 2008
Posts: 1,666
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford has to make a tune that works in every state under every condition of every season of the year, so yes they have to leave HP on the table.
The OEM tune needs a bunch of breathing room, it already runs hard stock and beats the chubby camaro with less HP.

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt View Post
hmmmmm I wondered this. What if you bought a seperate PCM and used that one with your tune on it. Than god forbid anything happens, you just put your original stock pcm back in....... Pretty expensive, but hey it may work and atleast you can mod the hell outta your car
Because the ECM would give a P1000 code telling the dealer that it hasn't been driven at least 500 miles. (not mileage wise, meaning, self engine/sensor checks, running time etc...) trust me they got it covered.
It's been thought of already, try driving your car 500 miles with a blown motor lol.

Last edited by fdjizm; 11/2/11 at 05:54 AM.
fdjizm is offline  
Old 11/2/11, 06:02 AM
  #8  
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone
 
texastboneking's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 5, 2011
Location: Cleburne, Tx
Posts: 3,744
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm

Because the ECM would give a P1000 code telling the dealer that it hasn't been driven at least 500 miles. (not mileage wise, meaning, self engine/sensor checks, running time etc...) trust me they got it covered.
It's been thought of already, try driving your car 500 miles with a blown motor lol.
Wait a minute... The p1000 only means the codes were cleared or the battery was disconnected. The code does not mean the pcm was flashed. I think it could work
texastboneking is offline  
Old 11/2/11, 07:50 AM
  #9  
Bullitt Member
 
Join Date: September 21, 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 346
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because if they give you all the power the first year, the engine gets old fast. This way they can keep the same engine year to year and tune it differently and say the new one has more power than the outgoing model with a simple recalibration of the tune.
LLZuB is offline  
Old 11/2/11, 09:15 AM
  #10  
Cobra R Member
 
fdjizm's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 6, 2008
Posts: 1,666
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking View Post
Wait a minute... The p1000 only means the codes were cleared or the battery was disconnected. The code does not mean the pcm was flashed. I think it could work
Ok so you bring your car to the dealer with a blown motor and 0 miles on the ECM, how do you think that is going to go? lol
fdjizm is offline  
Old 11/2/11, 09:20 AM
  #11  
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone
 
texastboneking's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 5, 2011
Location: Cleburne, Tx
Posts: 3,744
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pcm doesn't count mileage. The ic module does. So he should be clear there...
texastboneking is offline  
Old 11/2/11, 09:28 AM
  #12  
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone
 
texastboneking's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 5, 2011
Location: Cleburne, Tx
Posts: 3,744
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My concern would be if the flash counter is built into the Pcm or if it is a separate module. If it is a separate module then changing the Pcm won't work. If it is in the Pcm then your good.
texastboneking is offline  
Old 11/2/11, 09:50 AM
  #13  
Cobra R Member
 
fdjizm's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 6, 2008
Posts: 1,666
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not all about mileage, the PCM would say it has not completed sensor checks etc... they thought of all this stuff. lol
fdjizm is offline  
Old 11/2/11, 09:55 AM
  #14  
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone
 
texastboneking's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 5, 2011
Location: Cleburne, Tx
Posts: 3,744
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm
It's not all about mileage, the PCM would say it has not completed sensor checks etc... they thought of all this stuff. lol
Right. But that ONLY indicates that the codes were cleared or that the battery was disconnected. That in no way shows that the Pcm was changed... I work on these cars. I have to determine if they have been tuned it not. And I can yell you that if the monitors are not complete in No way does that void the warranty.

Last edited by texastboneking; 11/2/11 at 09:56 AM.
texastboneking is offline  
Old 11/2/11, 10:03 AM
  #15  
Cobra Member
 
LEwis26's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 8, 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,237
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by texastboneking View Post
Right. But that ONLY indicates that the codes were cleared or that the battery was disconnected. That in no way shows that the Pcm was changed... I work on these cars. I have to determine if they have been tuned it not. And I can yell you that if the monitors are not complete in No way does that void the warranty.
Agreed. Because if a car is not running right, most people will try disconnecting the battery to reset everything.
LEwis26 is offline  
Old 11/2/11, 11:00 AM
  #16  
Cobra Member
 
RandyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 23, 2009
Location: NW Minnesota
Posts: 1,312
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Because more power means more stress on every component... which means a smaller bottom line as they pay out more warranty cash for failures that might never have happened with a more conservative state of tune.

Plus...people expect their cars to last 150,000 - 200,000 miles. A car tuned to its
limit will live a shorter life.
That's what I figure. People expect that a modern engine ought to go 200,000 miles or more without needing an overhaul. A lot of people who own Mustangs are willing to sacrifice some longevity for more fun. Many of us put less than 10,000 miles per year on it, so even if the engine longevity is decreased by 20% (a number I just pulled out of thin air), we'll still have many years of fun before any work needs to be done.
RandyW is offline  
Old 11/2/11, 01:17 PM
  #17  
GT Member
 
grabber blue gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 23, 2011
Posts: 196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait so my plan might work??????????????????? I will go nuts if it does =D
grabber blue gt is offline  
Old 11/2/11, 01:30 PM
  #18  
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone
 
texastboneking's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 5, 2011
Location: Cleburne, Tx
Posts: 3,744
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Wait so my plan might work??????????????????? I will go nuts if it does =D
I'll do some research. But sounds good to me
texastboneking is offline  
Old 11/2/11, 01:42 PM
  #19  
Mach 1 Member
 
mystickeith50's Avatar
 
Join Date: August 2, 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 501
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it wont...this topic has been beaten to death....ford got smart and starting in 11 they have the secret genie inside that tells all.
mystickeith50 is offline  
Old 11/2/11, 01:52 PM
  #20  
Cobra R Member
 
2012GTCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 24, 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,532
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahaha. Theres a lamp under the dash with the genie in it.
2012GTCS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want, want want. But Why?


Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.