Sponsored By:

TTAC tells TTAC to shut up

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/10, 09:33 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
DI isn't worth waiting for on an engine...

It's not some magic function that makes the care/engine better.
I think a lot of technology people take at the 'gotta have it' factor or it sucks.

"other cars have ____ so if this doesn't..pfff..obviously it sucks"
+1, and its my understanding that DI wont be that great for the naturally aspirated engine anyways. It would be better suited for a super-charged or turbo-charged coyote engine where the intake charge cooling would benefit it more leading to a better BSFC number.
Old 9/24/10, 09:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
While I disagree about the back seat being too small (there's more wheelbase than the SN-95 car and a noticeable improvement in usability), it is good to see the "don't worry about direct injection and wait for that" commentary.

Of course, the obligatory "live axle is ancient technology" commentary is there though
Old 9/24/10, 11:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intake port fuel injection has a tertiary benefit of cleaning off the backs of the intake valves and the passages leading to them; fuel makes a wonderful solvent. DI eliminates this benefit, and it can cause problems. Look at some pictures of the backs of intake valves in BMW DI engines and they are a horrific, gunky mess.

With DI, regular applications of Seafoam, et. al. into the intake are necessary to keep the intake tract clean.
Old 9/25/10, 07:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I look at it like it used to be with computers - whatever you buy today will be obsolete in a couple of years and they'll be selling something better. But if you wait for that "better" machine something better still will come along and supplant it.

So my philosophy was/is I don't care if DI IS being put in the 2012s, there'll just be something better than that in 2013 and so forth, so every day I am waiting is a day that I am not driving and enjoying my 2011! Besides I can upgrade rather easily with CAI/Tune/Exhaust to get at what DI brings (usually about 10% more power).

Many folks are acting like there's going to be another "step increase" (like there was going from the 2010 to the 2011), which is unlikely. As a child born in the '60's I can tell you ('cause sometimes it doesn't do this), the way it's SUPPOSED to work is that cars get better each year AND they depreciate, so you're never going to have cutting edge for very long, unless you have that crystal ball that tells you which car will be the future collectible (oops - you can't drive it now!). BUT here's the thing: you may as well hop on this fun ponycar carnival ride right where you are and enjoy the heck out of it.
Old 9/25/10, 09:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Double-EDad
I look at it like it used to be with computers - whatever you buy today will be obsolete in a couple of years and they'll be selling something better. But if you wait for that "better" machine something better still will come along and supplant it.

So my philosophy was/is I don't care if DI IS being put in the 2012s, there'll just be something better than that in 2013 and so forth, so every day I am waiting is a day that I am not driving and enjoying my 2011! Besides I can upgrade rather easily with CAI/Tune/Exhaust to get at what DI brings (usually about 10% more power).

Many folks are acting like there's going to be another "step increase" (like there was going from the 2010 to the 2011), which is unlikely. As a child born in the '60's I can tell you ('cause sometimes it doesn't do this), the way it's SUPPOSED to work is that cars get better each year AND they depreciate, so you're never going to have cutting edge for very long, unless you have that crystal ball that tells you which car will be the future collectible (oops - you can't drive it now!). BUT here's the thing: you may as well hop on this fun ponycar carnival ride right where you are and enjoy the heck out of it.
Just do what the 2010 folks are saying about the 2011: "It's nothing a Kenne Bell (/et. al.) can't cure".
Old 9/25/10, 12:40 PM

"You won’t be resting a thumb. But neither will you be comfortably gripping the wheel at 9 and 3."

This guy's on crack. I always drive with hands and 9 & 3 and the mustang has one of the nicest wheels out there. Also his claims about handling are nonsense. This car makes handles wonderfully. It's like the guy hates the concept of a mustang, but still found a few nice things to say about it. The internet has created hundreds of 'car experts' that know little about cars or performance and yet they can put up a web site and come off as a expert. The car companies should make them buy cars if they want to test them and stop pretending they are experts on anything other than internet marketing.
Old 9/25/10, 12:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad

Word. When the redesign photos start getting released in a couple years that will be "the car to have". Then the same thing will happen in another five years. The S197 platform has definitely lasted a long time, when it gets replaced that's what people will be talking about, not DI. At least IMO. I'll have check book in hand when I can order a Mustang with DCT and MyFord Touch