Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

TSB concerning aftermarket tuning and modifications

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/11, 11:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
I kinda get it. $300 is a small price to pay for a tune and a warranty on a $6000 engine. It would be nice if the larger tuners would offer this option.
There isn't a single aftermarket tuner that wants to deal with warranty claims. This will never happen. You also can't expect Ford to warranty tunes done by some incompetent tuner. If a lean condition occurs and the engine blows, who should pay for the repair? Ford? Hell no. This is the risk you take when overwriting the tune Ford has tested for thousands of hours, for one created by people that may or may not know what they are doing. Even experienced tuners might not understand why Ford didn't use a particular setting which may yield a few extra horsepower, but hurt engine longevity or have other negative side effects. You pay to play.

Last edited by Adam; 7/4/11 at 11:54 AM.
Old 7/4/11, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Adam
There isn't a single aftermarket tuner that wants to deal with warranty claims. This will never happen.
Edelbrock offers an engine warranty with the purchase of their eForce Supercharger Kits that covers the vehicles entire Powertrain, two options, 3yr/36k miles or 5yr/60k miles.

For the 3y/36k warranty, you have to install before the car has 36k miles on it to be eligible.

$275 = $9,000 Liability Limit
$550 = $13,000 Liability Limit
$795 = $19,000 Liability Limit

OR

For the 5y/60k warranty, you have to install before the car has 50k miles on it to be eligible.

$475 = $9,000 Liability Limit
$750 = $13,000 Liability Limit
$995 = $19,000 Liability Limit

Now I don't know about you guys, but if we could purchase this type of optional coverage for things like a Tune, would you? I know I would. Heck, it might even be worth buying their eForce Kit instead of all this other tweaky type items we buy just to have their warranty option.

Last edited by kn7671; 7/4/11 at 12:46 PM.
Old 7/4/11, 01:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
^^^^ That's a good deal. I just read over on S197 that another Coyote locked up with 3500 miles on it.
Old 7/4/11, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kn7671

Edelbrock offers an engine warranty with the purchase of their eForce Supercharger Kits that covers the vehicles entire Powertrain, two options, 3yr/36k miles or 5yr/60k miles.

For the 3y/36k warranty, you have to install before the car has 36k miles on it to be eligible.

$275 = $9,000 Liability Limit
$550 = $13,000 Liability Limit
$795 = $19,000 Liability Limit

OR

For the 5y/60k warranty, you have to install before the car has 50k miles on it to be eligible.

$475 = $9,000 Liability Limit
$750 = $13,000 Liability Limit
$995 = $19,000 Liability Limit

Now I don't know about you guys, but if we could purchase this type of optional coverage for things like a Tune, would you? I know I would. Heck, it might even be worth buying their eForce Kit instead of all this other tweaky type items we buy just to have their warranty option.
Wow. Someones ....listening to their customers?? What kind of buisness is that?? :P
Old 7/4/11, 01:40 PM

Now that everyone is talking supplier warranties... the warranty is based on the risk the company expects to incur. The longer the term, the less risk you think you have, or have paid for. A lot of warranties are paid for by an insurance policy the supplier takes out, or money they put aside.

This is why the Edlebrock has a sliding scale for coverage.. some of the money goes to Edelbrock as the agent.. the rest goes to the insurance company who takes on the risk. The same with FRPP.. they take a portion of the sale and put it into a warranty reserve to cover any potential claims based on what their risk estimate is.

Isn't the free market economy great! I love America!
Old 7/4/11, 02:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
I meant for tunes only. Roush and Edelbrock superchargers "maintain" your warranty. There might be others as well. The way I understand is, is that it's supplemental coverage and Ford will go to the tuner for reimbursement. This can sometimes lead to finger pointing and the customer gets stuck in the middle while waiting for resolution.
Old 7/5/11, 07:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I have tuned and removed...so it's too late for me....

...but if I could do it again, I would say stay stock. These cars can run in the 12s with the stock tune, faster than all but the most elite Muscle Cars from the glory days (like a Buick GSX or a stock Hemi 'Cuda on slicks) and faster than 98% of the vehicles you'll ever see on the road. Yeah, faster is better...but how fast is fast enough?

The problem is that once you go back to stock, the car feels a lot slower.
Old 7/5/11, 07:37 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by lidserra
OK.. I love these posts.. what do you think Ford Racing Performance Parts means.. operative work.. Racing... does not state street performance, fuel economy, etc.

Yes believe it or not.. they are aftermarket parts.. They even state it themselves. They are not OE sold or installed by the OE. Dealers are not OE's.

Now FRPP have thier own warranty... yes FRPP provides the warranty, not Ford Motor Company.

Here is the policy from FRPP.

The New Limited Warranty Program
All Ford Racing Parts are aftermarket parts. Ford Racing Parts are not Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories. Therefore, they may not be used in any application that requires the use of Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories.
Ford Racing Performance Parts are sold "as is" with no warranty. A Limited Warranty is available for some select parts and will be denoted by the following logo...
1) Crate Engines
Ford Racing Performance Parts warrants the original retail purchaser for 12 months or 12,000 miles on our Performance Crate Engines.
2) FR1 & FR3 Power Packs for the 2005 - 2010 Mustangs and Shelby GT500
The warranty will cover parts and labor to replace defective components on Ford Dealer installed parts only.
  • A 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty is applicable if installed at the time of new vehicle delivery
  • A 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty is in effect if installed after the date of vehicle delivery but prior to expiration of 3 years / 36,000 mile vehicle warranty
3) Select FR SuperPacks for 2005 - 2010 Mustangs and 2007 - 2010 Shelby GT500
The warranty will cover parts and labor to replace defective components on Ford Dealer installed parts only.
  • A 1 year / 12,000 mile warranty is applicable when installed by an Authorized Dealer ( Ford, Lincoln Mercury or Shelby Automotive) prior to the vehicle reaching either 36 months or 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first).
  • View Ford Racing Limited Warranty for details
+1 Good info lidserra.

Deysha
Old 7/5/11, 08:43 AM
V6 Member

Aww man So that means I can't install my steeda intake!!!! It comes in today.
Old 7/5/11, 10:06 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Anthonynoz
Aww man So that means I can't install my steeda intake!!!! It comes in today.
You can, just kiss the factory warranty goodbye on parts affected by the aftermarket parts
Old 7/5/11, 10:20 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sky is FALLING!!! The sky is FALLING!!!

Boy oh boy, Ford sure does play Poker really well!

You guys really need to get over all this.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!!

This has been Ford policy for a LOOOONG TIME.

Ever since the tuners cracked the OBDII codes and have been able to load tunes directly into the PCM.

But all Ford had to do to send everyone running for the hills was to put out some TSB's about this instead of just including it in the training for the dealer techs as has been the policy in the past.

Nothing has changed, they can't tell any better now that a tune has been loaded than they could in the past.
Old 7/5/11, 10:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I have tuned and removed...so it's too late for me....

...but if I could do it again, I would say stay stock. These cars can run in the 12s with the stock tune, faster than all but the most elite Muscle Cars from the glory days (like a Buick GSX or a stock Hemi 'Cuda on slicks) and faster than 98% of the vehicles you'll ever see on the road. Yeah, faster is better...but how fast is fast enough?

The problem is that once you go back to stock, the car feels a lot slower.
So if it's too late why not stay tuned? I'm not going back to stock on mine, no way in hell. Throttle response on the factory tune is HORRIBLE.
Old 7/5/11, 10:55 AM
V6 Member

I agree with blackout2k11. The throttle response is the main reason I wanted a tune in the first place. It really wasn't so much about not having enough power, but how that power was applied through the throttle and in my case, the auto trans. The tune makes the trans shift a lot better and firmer, while making the throttle response feel more like the old days of the direct cable.
Old 7/5/11, 11:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by lidserra
OK.. I love these posts.. what do you think Ford Racing Performance Parts means.. operative work.. Racing... does not state street performance, fuel economy, etc.

Yes believe it or not.. they are aftermarket parts.. They even state it themselves. They are not OE sold or installed by the OE. Dealers are not OE's.

Now FRPP have thier own warranty... yes FRPP provides the warranty, not Ford Motor Company.

Here is the policy from FRPP.

The New Limited Warranty Program
All Ford Racing Parts are aftermarket parts. Ford Racing Parts are not Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories. Therefore, they may not be used in any application that requires the use of Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories.
Ford Racing Performance Parts are sold "as is" with no warranty. A Limited Warranty is available for some select parts and will be denoted by the following logo...
1) Crate Engines
Ford Racing Performance Parts warrants the original retail purchaser for 12 months or 12,000 miles on our Performance Crate Engines.
2) FR1 & FR3 Power Packs for the 2005 - 2010 Mustangs and Shelby GT500
  • A 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty is applicable if installed at the time of new vehicle delivery
  • A 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty is in effect if installed after the date of vehicle delivery but prior to expiration of 3 years / 36,000 mile vehicle warranty
3) Select FR SuperPacks for 2005 - 2010 Mustangs and 2007 - 2010 Shelby GT500
  • A 1 year / 12,000 mile warranty is applicable when installed by an Authorized Dealer ( Ford, Lincoln Mercury or Shelby Automotive) prior to the vehicle reaching either 36 months or 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first).
  • View Ford Racing Limited Warranty for details
This is NOT true for the FRPP parts installed on pre-titled Shelby GTs. They are covered for 3years or 36000 miles.
Old 7/5/11, 11:59 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Overclock your CPU on your computer and burn the **** out of it.
See if Intel will replace it.

Manufacturer defects are covered...if you install something wrong or try to make it do something it can't do... or it can do but you bone up the install or don't back up the parts it needs to do those jobs well.... you are out the cash.

If you can't afford to fix it, don't mess with it.

Not saying it can or can't handle it...but if you get someone who doesn't know what they are doing, guess what...

It can handle power, obviously...
Ford racing puts S/C on it and TUNES it properly.

Last edited by Boomer; 7/5/11 at 12:01 PM.
Old 7/5/11, 12:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
You can, just kiss the factory warranty goodbye on parts affected by the aftermarket parts
Not worth it might as well stay stock
Old 7/5/11, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Overclock your CPU on your computer and burn the **** out of it.
See if Intel will replace it.

Manufacturer defects are covered...if you install something wrong or try to make it do something it can't do... or it can do but you bone up the install or don't back up the parts it needs to do those jobs well.... you are out the cash.

If you can't afford to fix it, don't mess with it.

Not saying it can or can't handle it...but if you get someone who doesn't know what they are doing, guess what...

It can handle power, obviously...
Ford racing puts S/C on it and TUNES it properly.
Intel replaced a burned processor for me a few years back, and I told them I overclocked it
Old 7/5/11, 12:53 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Anthonynoz
Not worth it might as well stay stock
I hear ya I'm pretty much taking the same course of action with my stang. I'll tune it when my 3 years are up
Old 7/5/11, 01:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I hear ya I'm pretty much taking the same course of action with my stang. I'll tune it when my 3 years are up
Old 7/5/11, 01:29 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Merging...

Quick Reply: TSB concerning aftermarket tuning and modifications