Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Traction control off

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/14, 03:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by YouGoGlenCocoa
Ive been WOT a few times, ive owned a few sports bikes but never a car with this much power. Been kind of hard lately for me to find roads that are unoccupied to really open it up.
Agree with this and with 5.Monster above... it's very hard to push these cars to the point of engaging TCS on the public roads. At the track, I have driven in Sport Mode and with all nannies disabled. At my driving level, I am usually ~2-3 seconds per lap faster with everything off (TCS is not a fan of trail braking amongst other things). But I don't think I've ever engaged TCS on public roads, even when giving demo rides to friends. That is all for warm weather and warm tires...

Cold tires, I leave sport mode on because I get zero traction with cold tires. But that's what my Jeep is for

Recommend finding a biiiiig parking lot, turning TCS fully off, and experimenting with the car. See what the limits or. Even better, go to a track day with a skid pad and learn from some professionals!
Old 6/16/14, 10:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So do we have to hit the tc button every time??? Or is there a way to disable it???
Old 6/16/14, 10:18 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
Personally, that's foolish. Those classic muscle cars didn't have ABS either; have you disconnected that? They probably had bias-ply tires too; have you thrown away your radials?
Really?

Hell I still pump my brakes as a driver in charge coming down a 5k icy pass. Regardless of ABS. I don't need a ****ing computer. My road to asz nerve communicates to me just fine.
Thanks to growing up on Missouri winter roads as a yute. What were you doing, playing video games?

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/16/14 at 10:23 PM.
Old 6/16/14, 10:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
It's worth noting that many of those "nannies" are more intended for crashes and other unexpected events where you may lose control of your vehicle. It can help you navigate safely around obstacles without spinning the car and throwing you into a tree. Likewise with the ABS, it helps you stop much quicker during a panic stop, especially so if the road surface is slick.

It's not about whether or not you know how to control a car that puts out decent power, but rather it helps you keep control when a deer runs in front of you or some jack **** cuts you off on the freeway.
Old 6/16/14, 11:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Really?

Hell I still pump my brakes as a driver in charge coming down a 5k icy pass. Regardless of ABS. I don't need a ****ing computer. My road to asz nerve communicates to me just fine.
Thanks to growing up on Missouri winter roads as a yute. What were you doing, playing video games?

You hit the nail on the head.
Old 6/16/14, 11:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rynaldo
So do we have to hit the tc button every time??? Or is there a way to disable it???
It defaults to "on" every time you start the car.
Old 6/17/14, 08:32 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
It's worth noting that many of those "nannies" are more intended for crashes and other unexpected events where you may lose control of your vehicle. It can help you navigate safely around obstacles without spinning the car and throwing you into a tree. Likewise with the ABS, it helps you stop much quicker during a panic stop, especially so if the road surface is slick.

It's not about whether or not you know how to control a car that puts out decent power, but rather it helps you keep control when a deer runs in front of you or some jack **** cuts you off on the freeway.
A small correction on this. Common misconception. ABS does NOT make you stop quicker. Driver best effort (experienced driver) typically can stop feet shorter than ABS. The sole purpose of ABS is to provide an average driver with the ability to steer their vehicle while they are doing a panic stop. ABS will stop shorted versus a driver who stands on the brake pedal no matter what. But it's main job is not to shorten stopping distance, it's to maintain steer ability.

As for the second part, I respectfully disagree. If you know how to drive your car, you don't need traction control, stability control or ABS. You take the side slip into account and simply adjust for it. Doesn't matter if a deer jumps out, it you get cut off, or if you're doing hot laps on a track. You either are in control of your vehicle or you are not.
ABS, TCS and ESP are made for general public who are not skilled, and really can't control their vehicles in evasive maneuvers or during panic stops, or brake in turns. They are in place so your teenage daughter or your gramma don't spin out when they stab the brakes in a turn. Skilled drivers don't need them. This is why in most race applications these systems are not used. They get in the way, and they cannot overcome physics.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 6/17/14 at 08:40 AM.
Old 6/17/14, 03:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Bocefus
it's foolish that I know how to drive a car without electronic nannies? I have taken many driving courses and race regularly auto x and drag. I know how to handle a car.
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
^ THIS. Took the words out of my mouth. I work on vehicle stability control functions, I've been trained in limit handling, and understanding vehicle dynamics is my bread and butter. Plus I also track my car. On my own Mustang I have not had a single stability control intervention occur while I wasn't already counter steering. And at that point the intervention is more annoying than anything. So as soon as I decide to slide I turn AdvenceTrac off.

If you can't drift your car, or make it yaw with your right foot, than stability control is for you. If you can do these things, you're better off driving with AdvanceTrac OFF. Otherwise the system will intervene WHILE you're making your own correction. This can lead to a double-correction causing addition of a yaw torque and ultimately causes loss of precision.

Kyle, for the general public your statement is accurate. But don't forget some people on this forum CAN handle a 400 or 600 HP car on their own. And I don't mean being able to go WOT all the time. I mean knowing when you can afford to go WOT and manage side slip and yaw, and when you have to limit the throttle to 70%.
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
A small correction on this. Common misconception. ABS does NOT make you stop quicker. Driver best effort (experienced driver) typically can stop feet shorter than ABS. The sole purpose of ABS is to provide an average driver with the ability to steer their vehicle while they are doing a panic stop. ABS will stop shorted versus a driver who stands on the brake pedal no matter what. But it's main job is not to shorten stopping distance, it's to maintain steer ability.

As for the second part, I respectfully disagree. If you know how to drive your car, you don't need traction control, stability control or ABS. You take the side slip into account and simply adjust for it. Doesn't matter if a deer jumps out, it you get cut off, or if you're doing hot laps on a track. You either are in control of your vehicle or you are not.
ABS, TCS and ESP are made for general public who are not skilled, and really can't control their vehicles in evasive maneuvers or during panic stops, or brake in turns. They are in place so your teenage daughter or your gramma don't spin out when they stab the brakes in a turn. Skilled drivers don't need them. This is why in most race applications these systems are not used. They get in the way, and they cannot overcome physics.
Not trying to insult anybody who truly has the training and ability to handle a 400+ horsepower car in all kinds of conditions without using tools developed by some of the best vehicle engineers in the world. Like I said, that's a tiny percentage of the general public and a higher but still very low overall percentage of people on this board. Most Mustang owners have never done truly at-the-limit driving beyond a burnout or drag race, and that's not enough to be better than the systems our cars come with today. Again, not trying to insult anybody, I'm nowhere near good enough to drive my car at the absolute limit without those tools either, and I've at least gone through a driver's school and been on racetracks at speed behind the wheel (mostly in a '85 RX-7 though, not in my Mustang!).

I would bet the pink slip to my car that, again, less than 10% of people on this board could drive their cars faster around a road course with all the electronics disabled then they could with them enabled, not to mention more consistently and safer. If you're one of that 10%, more power to you.

Really?

You and my Dad both. So have you disconnected the ABS plug on your car?
Old 6/17/14, 03:28 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
You and my Dad both. So have you disconnected the ABS plug on your car?
I'm not smart enough to know what I could safely unplug or not - and have it not screw up the entire ECU system. So I turn off TC and manually circumvent ABS.
Old 6/17/14, 06:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm not smart enough to know what I could safely unplug or not - and have it not screw up the entire ECU system. So I turn off TC and manually circumvent ABS.
Ha. Always good to not accidentally flat spot tires either.