Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tires, which ones are quiet?

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/14, 12:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by CiniZter
^ i had the same experience. tire rotation helped.
shiaz, I would like to say that could help. But I have rotated mine every 5K miles when I change the oil. But, at almost 17K miles on the tires they still make more noise than I like. I'm sure the noise is a subjective thing as what's loud to me may not be to someone else. I'll wait until the Wifey says something about since she's drives it more than I.

@Wayne, let us know what the dealer says about pro-rating the tires.
Old 9/29/14, 02:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't Consumer reports rate the Michelin A/S 3's the best All Season tire to buy?
Old 9/29/14, 04:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrell
70monte stupid question, but have you rotated your tires regularly? I was getting the same type of noise from my front left but after rotating this weekend, it's gone. I've tried to keep on a 5000 mile schedule but went went out to 8k miles this last oil change. My car's at about 22k miles. I drive nothing but highway, pretty much.

Also, I know on many of the Texas roads I drive, they've gone to a courser asphalt mix that, while grippier in the rain, is loud as can be compared to smoother roads of yore...

I had the tires rotated at 5,000 miles by the Ford dealership the first time. I'm about due for the second rotation as I have almost 9,800 miles on the car and tires. They just did the front to the back and the back to the front the first time. I may have them do the cross rotation this second time to see if it makes any difference.

Most of my driving is highway miles. I don't track this car and don't plan on it. My car came with the All season Pirelli's since I have the 18" wheels and tires.

I don't generally drive in bad weather so I could probably go with the summer only tires but still kind of swaying on staying with the all seasons.

It seems like my tires have gotten noisy earlier than a lot of other people's that I've seen posted. This problem has been going on for quite a few miles. It just has gotten to a point that it's really bothering me and taking the enjoyment out of driving this car.

I've been doing a lot of research these past few days but appreciate everyone's own experiences with different tires. Thanks again.

Wayne
Old 9/29/14, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pminri
I have to ask, seems like the tires being chosen are all weather tires and the Pirelli's being picked on are summer only tires. If you use the Pirelli's as intended (Track Use) why would anyone complain about road noise? I have a 2014 GT Track Pack with the Pirelli's and only use the car during the summer months in New England, I think they perform fine on and off the track ( Granted I'm no expert but the post about the GTO and all the suspension mods he put on and then put a "all season tire" on just doesn't seem right to me. Am I way off here? I'm trying to figure out what I might put on next but I don't think I'll be looking for anything in a all season tire.
I was using the DWSs as a winter tire. They were okay in the snow, a hair stickier than my Blizzaks are now, but the sidewalls on my Blizzaks are actually stiffer. The whole car would roll over onto the sidewall with the Contis.

Also, your Pirelli P-Zero summers, which are NOT track use only tires, are only one of many different Pirellis Ford put on the Mustang.

Track Pack and Brembo GTs got 255/40/19 Pirelli P-Zero Summer Tires.

GTs with 19s and no Brembo brakes got 245/45/19 Pirelli P-Zero Nero All Seasons.

GTs with 18s got 235/50/18 Pirelli P-Zero Nero All Seasons. This is what the OP has.
Old 9/29/14, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm kind of leaning toward the Michelin A/S 3's. I can get them from Tire Rack for $865 delivered and spend about $40 for mounting and lifetime rotation and balance so about $905 installed. Sams has the 300 tread wear rated Michelin pilots for $908+tax installed so the Tire Rack tires are a better tire for about the same price. I have not checked anywhere else locally for price yet.

Wayne
Old 9/29/14, 10:26 PM

Has anybody tried the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric all season ultra high performance?
Old 9/30/14, 04:39 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
I'm kind of leaning toward the Michelin A/S 3's. I can get them from Tire Rack for $865 delivered and spend about $40 for mounting and lifetime rotation and balance so about $905 installed. Sams has the 300 tread wear rated Michelin pilots for $908+tax installed so the Tire Rack tires are a better tire for about the same price. I have not checked anywhere else locally for price yet.

Wayne
Nice choice. I might give them a try next time.
Old 9/30/14, 05:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Critical Mass
Didn't Consumer reports rate the Michelin A/S 3's the best All Season tire to buy?
Yes and so did Tire Rack.
Old 9/30/14, 08:27 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,703 Posts
I can only add that in my ownership experiences with different vehicles (my previous Mustang had Goodyear Gatorbacks) I ran Michelins and they were the best and quietest tires I've ever owned on any vehicles period. I'm not sure if they make Michelins for my Boss but if they do that will be my next set! :-)
Old 9/30/14, 08:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

hope the michelin a/s 3 is as good as people are saying, I'm having them put on my mustang this week
Old 10/1/14, 01:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have the A/S+ and they are also the boobies.....snow and rain and the Nurburgring just fine. In 275/40/19.
Old 10/1/14, 05:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Yes and so did Tire Rack.
You are the reason I bought these tires. Thank you! They are excellent.
Old 10/10/14, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

I took the car in today for it's second tire rotation. The tech told me that the rear tires were starting to chop up and that they were probably out of round. I think the front's had some issues as well. I had them cross the back tires to the front and the fronts straight to the back. It really didn't help with the road noise but I didn't figure it would. I'm still trying to save up for some new ones. Probably after the first of the year so I can get past Christmas and property taxes.

Wayne
Old 10/11/14, 08:28 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
Today I put the rear end of my car up on jack stands and let it run in Drive to see if I could hear anything unusual. Giving it gas just made the brake light and other lights come on in the dash plus I couldn't hear anything over the exhaust so I just let it idle in gear.

With it idling in gear with the wheels turning and me half under the back of the car, I could not hear anything abnormal from the rear end or driveshaft.

I then started looking at the tires and wheels themselves as they turned and noticed that both rear tires had a slight wobble to them like they were slightly out of round. Looking at the tires from the back, it looked like the tread was slightly moving side to side.

The wheels themselves didn't seem to be doing this so I don't think it's an axle thing or improperly mounted wheels.

Could what I was seeing be the cause of the noise I'm hearing? I didn't jack up the front to spin them so they may be doing the same thing.

Any opinions would be welcome.

Wayne

If you are seeing a wobble in the tread it sounds like a belt separation issue. This is certainly not normal and may be covered under warranty.
Old 10/12/14, 04:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
You are the reason I bought these tires. Thank you! They are excellent.
Ha ha...you are welcome. I love mine too. We will see how this winter fairs.
Old 10/12/14, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by backin15
If you are seeing a wobble in the tread it sounds like a belt separation issue. This is certainly not normal and may be covered under warranty.

Unfortunately I have to deal with the tire company directly since the tires have their own warranty separate from Ford. I'm going to try calling them next week and see what they say. I'm not holding out much hope that they will do anything for me given that the car and tires are almost two years old.

Wayne