Sponsored By:

Ticking Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/10, 01:18 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
does the tach move a bit?
I have watched for that before and it didn't move. I will make sure to look closer today and report on my findings....
Old 7/8/10, 02:53 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I first got my 2010 GT, I heard ticking, open the hood, sounds so **** loud. Its the injectors. There was a TSB for the 4.6 and 5.4 motors. I took mine to FORD, stated it was normal. People report to use LUCAS INJECTOR CLEANER and it seems to clear it up for awhile.

LINK TO VIDEO THREAD WITH MY NOISE;
http://www.blackmustangclub.com/cont...ise&highlight=

TSB 06
"Some vehicles equipped with a 4.6L 3-valve or 5.4L 3-valve engine may exhibit a ticking
and / or knocking noise after reaching normal operating temperature, or a rattle upon
starting. The noise may be described as ticks, taps, knocks, or thumps. In some cases the
noise may be a normal characteristic of these engines. In other cases the noise may
require further investigation. Sorting out and defining the noise as reported by the
customer is important to successfully diagnose and / or repair the condition."

"INJECTION / FUEL SYSTEM
Injector noise (ticking) is considered normal. Noise increases with RPM hot or cold and
is recognized at the top of the engine. VALVE TRAIN
Lash adjusters can make a ticking / tapping noise noticeable at any engine RPM /
temperature and is audible through the wheel well or an open hood. However, with the
hood down, lash adjuster noise can be heard as a light tapping noise through the wheel
well and is considered normal.
Tracing this noise must be isolated to a cylinder bank. If one bank is louder than the other
bank, focus the diagnostic to the loud bank. If both banks seem loud with the hood down,
compare wheel well sound level to another comparable vehicle.
Use a stethoscope on the top of the cam cover bolt heads to confirm which bank is
affected. Move the probe from front to rear if necessary.
If isolated, only replace the intake and exhaust lifters on the affected cylinder bank."

Last edited by mustang1979; 7/8/10 at 02:55 PM.
Old 7/8/10, 03:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine shakes a bit too.

I can't imagine an engine that's pumping out over 400 hp would be perfectly smooth at idle anyways...just shrugged it off.

*Edit*

Watched the Tach today a little more closer, and it moves slightly.

Last edited by Norberd; 7/8/10 at 10:20 PM.
Old 7/8/10, 03:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Re: detonation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM20115.0 to Stinger

My (Auto50.) getting light engine "ping"? I had it off and on driving back to Fl. from Pa. and (been using only 93 so far). - with "moderate" acceleration(not really noticeable under higher gear load). At first I thought it was mountain elevation, but I also notice it at lower levels. Think maybe the Ti-VCT is having a hard time figuring out what type of driving I'm doing? About 20% of the time I don't seem to detect it.

Thoughts???

https://themustangsource.com/f...l-pics-484633/

From Stinger: Thats the injectors your hearing

(no BS I thought the same thing and consulted a few engineer buddies in dearborn, took the car down there and thats what they said my car was doing. Your symtoms sound the same as mine, but I cant be 100% when diganoising over the internet LOL)
Road racing = Win.
NASA Great Lakes Region Member
Old 7/8/10, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I too notice the ticking noise (about 5 ticks a second) at idle. Still idle's smooth... My 2003 Mach I had "The tick"
Old 7/8/10, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
All these quality issues with the 2011.

Mine is being built later this month or in August. Hopefully they'll figure out how to do things right by then.
Old 7/8/10, 04:20 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by danimal15
All these quality issues with the 2011.

Mine is being built later this month or in August. Hopefully they'll figure out how to do things right by then.
Most of them are turning out not to be issues and more or less quarks of the car.
Old 7/8/10, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Lol, if these are the major "issues" that the car is going to have I will be one happy customer.

No car is going to be 100% defect free. It's just interesting to see how many other's are seeing the same things.
Old 9/16/10, 07:16 AM
V6 Member

Hello all. Not to revive an old thread for no reason, but I just bought got 2011 Mustang GT, built in June. I noticed that my car idles a little rough - the tach moves slightly during idle (engineering test mode says the rpms are rapidly fluctuating between 590 and 620 or so), and I can feel the car shake occasionally. I'm not used to a rough idle - on my previous car, a rough idle was always a prelude to some type of issue. It sounds like from this thread that it is not an issue. Has this developed into a more serious issue for anybody?
Old 9/16/10, 10:47 AM
GT Member

I too noticed the ticking sound the other day on my 10 gt.
Old 9/16/10, 03:33 PM
Cobra Member

I think someone mentioned there being a TSB for this in another thread, but I don't know what the title would have been.
Old 9/16/10, 04:12 PM
GT Member

These are some the issues the crop up with the 1st run of a new engine and tranny. Ford will eventually fix these issues, and by the time the 2012 mustang comes out this will be a non issue...I know this doesn't help you now, but its probably best not to try to mess with it yourself..let Ford find the fix ....

Last edited by kona stang10; 9/16/10 at 05:22 PM.
Old 9/16/10, 04:21 PM
GT Member

My 2008 GT makes a ticking noise in 2 nd and 3rd gear as it passes by 3000 RPM. What's that all about?
Old 7/1/13, 07:16 AM

[QUOTE=RedCandy5.0;5907765]This is what John on AFM told me about it.

1. I have a sound coming from the bottom right side of the motor at idle. Its a cross between a chirp and a tick. It is very apparent through the passenger wheel well, and it was like that since I got the car with 7.2 miles. When I took it back to the dealer, the tech spent 90 minutes on it, but could not isolate it. He theorized that it was the "chirp" mentioned under the Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) from Ford. Basically, Ford says they are aware of an issue with a chirp coming from the back of the motor or the front of the transmission, and they are working on a solution. Do not attempt repair. Note, I started up another 5.0 on the lot and let it warm to idle, and it made the same sound from the passenger wheel well, just maybe not quite as loud.

First off I know this thread is 3 years old, but I have the exact same noise as described. Has anyone found out what is the cause? My car is a '14 gt.
Old 7/1/13, 10:43 AM
sai
GT Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Anyone notice a ticking sound coming from their car. Not as much upfront but when you stand to the side. More if the car is hot. Someone on the other forum said something about an Oasis Report and a TBS coming. A few cars are having the issue i guess.
I have the same issues, seems if ticking is coming from the side under mid section of the car, I also feel like car is running too hot, coz I park my car in the garage and the wall is close to my driver side and when I stop the engine and get down I feel hot air on my feet
Old 7/1/13, 10:50 AM
sai
GT Member

Originally Posted by sai

I have the same issues, seems if ticking is coming from the side under mid section of the car, I also feel like car is running too hot, coz I park my car in the garage and the wall is close to my driver side and when I stop the engine and get down I feel hot air on my feet
Check the tick noise in the video.

Old 7/1/13, 12:37 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mako
First off I know this thread is 3 years old, but I have the exact same noise as described. Has anyone found out what is the cause? My car is a '14 gt.
Originally Posted by sai
Hi guys,

I recommend getting them checked out at your dealer as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 7/1/13, 01:17 PM
GT Member

Mine has a tap or tick coming from passenger side valve train after the engine is heat soaked. Its been doing this since the car was new. It has almost 30000 km now. It sounds like an old school lifter tick from a pushrod engine with a bad lifter. The dealer has tried several things including re-torquing stuff and changing out cam phasers without success. It is going in tomorrow for an complete new head assembly on the passenger side including new cams, rockers, and followers. Fingers crossed that this finally fixes it. If not, I don't know what I am going to do.
Old 7/3/13, 03:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
It sounds to me like normal injector noise. They are quite loud these days. But, I have been know to be wrong.