2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Those with Brembo package...

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/10 | 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by brycerichert
I agree on the Brembos being too small for track uses.

The best thing to do if you don't want to upgrade them is to use a real race brake pad on all fours, vent the fronts somehow and use DOT4 fluids. That should pull out a few more hot laps until you need to cool 'em down with a slow lap or two... unless you have some real long stretches on the track are at.
Thanks brycerichert. Good suggestion
Old 12/5/10 | 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

I have a stock brembo and one thing that drives me MAD on the highway is the RELENTLESS fast up/down bouncing. I noticed it on other 2011 GTs I test drove as well. My Miata, GTI, and Cooper were pretty low and stiff but never behaved this way on the same roads. I'd like to drop it an inch but I'm terrified of making this worse. What causes this?
Old 12/5/10 | 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
I have a stock brembo and one thing that drives me MAD on the highway is the RELENTLESS fast up/down bouncing. I noticed it on other 2011 GTs I test drove as well. My Miata, GTI, and Cooper were pretty low and stiff but never behaved this way on the same roads. I'd like to drop it an inch but I'm terrified of making this worse. What causes this?
I readed somewhere that Koni shocks (SRT or sport) will help on that issue. I'm planing also to get them and lower my car with Steeda sport springs.
Old 12/5/10 | 08:55 PM
GT Member

I understand that feeling... bouncy and head shattering. I had to change my suspension FAST after getting this thing. You can probably get away with just changing out the dampers and keeping the springs.. it's the damping rate that is beating you up. I hated it as well. It's ok for a smooth track.. in fact great. But the frequency of the stock GT suspension was literally giving me heachaches... it was terrible.

If you can do adjustable dampers, you could go that route and keep the springs. I think I could have done that as well, but springs are so freakin' cheap for this thing that I didn't even blink taking those out either.

BTW... is there any market out there for the stock mufflers and stock suspension from a 2011 GT?
Old 12/5/10 | 09:29 PM
Bullitt Member

So Bryce, what did you do to your suspension?
Old 12/6/10 | 12:48 AM
GT Member

So Bryce, what did you do to your suspension?
Eibach Pro Kit springs and Bilstein dampers.

It's great for driving around and feels much more compliant than stock.. which was way to harsh.. but I haven't had it on the limits since the new suspension.

I'll track it a couple times our season starts back up.. but I see myself quickly changing to an adjustable damper set because I think it will be too soft at the track. I won't know until a couple times out there though... until then though, at least my head isn't bouncing off the roof; it feels much better... and I would def. keep it this way if I was just to sport around with it on the street. I'd call it perfect for that.
Old 12/6/10 | 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree that the dampers are a must do, and that the front to rear spring ratio is a problem. Having said that, and while mentioning that I sell Bilstein too--I truly think that if you want complete control over the damping then you want adjustable shocks my preference being Koni Sports. And if you don't want the adjustment and trust the valving in a known, reputable brand, that Koni STR.T's work as well as Bilstein's, for much less money.
Old 12/6/10 | 04:20 PM

When I purchase the 5.0 it will be my 2nd car and used for weekend trips and such, I really like the brembo wheels but my concern is how much comfort am I losing compared to stock?

I don't want to be bouncing up and down on the freeway for 2-4 hours... lol
Old 12/7/10 | 07:10 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

While I agree that the dampers are a must for the 5.0 I disagree on damper choice from what has been recommended in this thread.

We have used Koni shocks extensively in both street and hardcore race applications around the shop and we have had quality control issues. While the valving is enough to get the job done, I am concerned about their use on a street car (street use is very hard on dampers do to the sudden and violent impacts of potholes and generally ****ty roads).

When $5,000 race dampers have trouble staying in one piece I would think twice about putting a $500 set on MY car.

I recommend the FRPP dampers that are manufactured by Tokico (OEM supplier to Ford) and valved by Dynamic (arguably THE best damper maker for the s-197, we run their 3 way adj remote reservoir dampers on our race cars, except the grand am cars as we were required to use koni dampers).
keep in mind that these dampers meet Ford's durability standards and other discussed in this thread do not.

Although they are not THE cheapest on the market they are more then competitive and they represent a better value for your hard earned money.

When buying high performance parts for a STREET car everything is a compromise, you need good performance coupled with daily driver reliability and all at a price you can afford. Warranty serviceability is also a concern (You don’t want to have to take off your broken dampers, ship them back and wait for new ones with your car in the air, FRPP parts can be serviced by your Ford Dealer).

Here are what I strongly recommend for your street car that you are looking for the best aftermarket damper for:

Option 1: Non Adjustable dampers
M-18000-A
Retail price
$465.00 (TMS members get a discount)
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=8684

Option 2: Adjustable dampers
M-18000-C
$889.00 (TMS members get a discount)
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9738

Last edited by Stinger1982; 12/7/10 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12/7/10 | 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info Shaun!

So, here's my dilemma: I've driven BMWs mostly with sport suspension. I don't track the car but love how the Brembo pkg takes the corners now. I'm not really interested in dropping the car (or if I did, it would be a slight drop). My main beef is the relentless up/down bouncing on my highway commute. If that, alone, was gone, I'd be in heaven. I'd hate for that to be solved but the handling to suffer on my favorite exit ramps. Would love any feedback on this.
Old 12/7/10 | 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info Shaun!

So, here's my dilemma: I've driven BMWs mostly with sport suspension. I don't track the car but love how the Brembo pkg takes the corners now. I'm not really interested in dropping the car (or if I did, it would be a slight drop). My main beef is the relentless up/down bouncing on my highway commute. If that, alone, was gone, I'd be in heaven. I'd hate for that to be solved but the handling to suffer on my favorite exit ramps. Would love any feedback on this.
I had both the ford racing shocks and struts that shaun sells and the Koni SRT. In fact I got the full FRPP handling pack from him. Excelent vendor BTW I highly recommend them. I think the ford stuff is very good quality and handled everything great except the bumps. I drive in and out of NYC around 80 miles roundtrip everyday. And these are some of the worst roads around and I couldn't take the jarring bounce. I got the Koni SRT's and they have cured the bounce and made my daily commute much more enjoyable.

Not sure how it would work on a stock car as mine is lowered 1 inch. But others here can tell you if that makes a difference.
Old 12/7/10 | 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

So your springs are the 1" Ford Racing but you switched out to Koni... Did you go with the STR.T's (non-adjustable) or the yellows?
Old 12/7/10 | 10:04 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

I had not read that nothing else was done to the car and that ride quality was the primary concern here......

what my concern is, is that the using a stiffer shock to control the up and down motion (bound and rebound) may cause an increase in harshness, specifically the high speed bump, you may find that the car is very stiff and harsh over those tyoes of bumps. So you cure one problem and possibly create another....

Our race director here at Rehagen was a Chassis dynamics engineer for Ford before coming here (he was responsible for the 2000 Cobra R, SVT Focus and played a major role in the 2007 GT-500 and 2003 Cobra) and I would like to run your issues/desired result by him and ask his opionion on your specific issues. Unfortutently he is out of town for a test session and then the PRI show (Performance Race Industry) until the 16th. I will try to get with him before then for you and I will get back with you.
Old 12/7/10 | 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

So your springs are the 1" Ford Racing but you switched out to Koni... Did you go with the STR.T's (non-adjustable) or the yellows?
Yes I have the one inch FRPP handling kit with everything including springs. But I swapped out the S & ST's to the non adjustable Koni's.

The Ride is fantastic BTW. Handles like its on rails and nice and smooth.

Last edited by shotzy; 12/7/10 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12/7/10 | 10:05 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Kai you didnt get the FRPP adj shocks did you?
Old 12/7/10 | 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
Kai you didnt get the FRPP adj shocks did you?
No I did not get the adjustable shocks just the regular ones.
Old 12/7/10 | 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

God, I HATE the FRPP dampers. The second they came off the '07 Shelby GT I ran for 3 years, the car was 100% better riding. And I think if you ask around and find folks that have run FRPP vs. Koni or even D-specs the vast majority will agree with that sentiment.

As for quality issues... Please go on. One thing about Koni's is they have a lifetime warranty, and are very, very good about warranty service where some others are not--particularly Tokico.

And comparing race shocks to street shocks is a huge joke anyway. And last I checked you were not required to run Koni's, even when it was Koni Challenge--it's just that they had contingency.

Anyway, I've run Koni's for years on many cars. Is it impossible for one to fail? Nope, can happen. But I've had a sets on S197's since 2007 when they first became available (the Koni Sports that is) and they have proven much more durable than any Tokico made product. I've also run the FRPP dampers, and D-specs too. And just today a guy was complaining on another forum how he blew up a Tokico HP, called Tokico and they gave him the run around.

Bottom line, the FRPP FR3 dampers have good rebound control... no issue with them there. They ride like hell in comparison to other dampers with as much, or even more rebound control-and lack any sort of lifetime warranty.

As for the new car warranty. I've had my cars in for warranty work with Koni's and Tokico's both on them and there is no problem. Of course there should not be because the struts and shocks won't cause other parts to fail--and if you dealer tries to deny a warranty claim on say your clutch, or brakes, or whatever based on a damper change then are dirt-bags anyway... and fwiw, they then have to show that your parts caused the issue, and that's not likely.

Also please note this was Shaun's statement was based off off custom built race shocks, not the Sport street shocks that I'd recommend (if you want adjustment).

And please note that shotzy has had both the FRPP's and the Koni STR.T, has compared them directly without any other changes and finds what I find the Koni's work better.
Old 12/7/10 | 12:38 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

First and foremost I dont understand why this thread is so personal?
One vendor having an attitude towards another does nothing positive for the communtiy on the whole and certainly does not create an enviroment that fosters knowledge transfer or creates an inviting place for new vendors to join to enrich the community. Ego's need to be checked at the door.

Two shops having differing opionons, well thats never happened before..........

as for the blantant jab about race shocks and koni challenege, your comment is un-founded and out of line, espically considering you have never run any series at that level and do not speak from first hand experience.

We have had issues with street based koni's in the past I felt no need to justify myself to Mr. Strano and type a book about our experiences to gain his approval of my comment.

FRPP's warranty is first rate and problems are dealt with in a very timely manner. You handle your warranty concerns (if you have one) through FRPP not tokico, so the comment about tokico's customer service is not even realevant.

We recomend the adjustable dampers but realize that the cost can be inhibitive to some customers
Old 12/7/10 | 01:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't see it as personal....

But I do own my business, and I spend my time posting here, among other things so I guess in way it is personal for me...

Rehagen builds nice cars from what I've seen. I've got nothing against you all, but I do have my findings and feelings and I'm happy to tell folks where and why my opinions are what they are. Again, I've run (and can sell) all the brands previously mentioned. I do this because I think it's important that folks know they have options aside from what I might recommend. In the end, a sale is a sale and if I can offer them the variety then I have a good chance at their business, regarless of the brand.... I feel it is important that customers get what will work best, and I like to discuss those things with them, because that's what makes happy customers.

We clearly have different preferences. Anyone is free to call me and talk to me if they want to know details and why I feel the way I do.

In the end, let's say you think both Shaun and I have compelling arguments and you are truly torn between say Koni and FRPP. I'd think that warranty coverage and cost might then come into play, and those important things to consider. Note that I would NOT run a garbage shock even if it had a killer warranty because that's a nightmare of problems, and I will not choose a part based solely on price. It's a value thing for me, what works well, what fits the budget, and what will do what we want it to do in a particular instance.

My suggestion for those looking for options is to call around, talk to vendors like myself, and see what we have to say (and what we ask you). And decide based on that.
Old 12/7/10 | 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

As a new Ford owner, I have no allegiances to any suspension manufacturer. Other than reliability (and keeping in mind this is my daily driver... but I love spirited driving) My goal is to "maybe" drop her an inch and eliminate the bouncy ride without:

1. Adversely affecting cornering (which I think is **** impressive as-is with the Brembo Pkg)
2. Increasing harshness.
3. Breaking the bank.

So far it seems both the Ford Racing 1" lowering springs (M-5300-P) and Steeda Sport Springs (555-8216) seem like pretty safe bets according to everything I've read on all the Mustang forums. Then I'll also need upper mounts and most say the GT500's work just fine (M-18183-C).

Then, it's a matter of the dampers. Keep in mind I don't track the car and based on shotzy's experience, the Ford Racing Dampers didn't help the bouncy ride on the highway at all. However, the Koni non-adjustable did. Of course, Shotzy also has new sway bars and jounce bumpers. Not sure how important they were to getting to his end result.

Last edited by jmatero; 12/7/10 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Those with Brembo package...