2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tale of Woe - Can't Drive My GT!

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/11, 06:37 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad I got an auto. Just shortened a couple of fingers on my right hand 4 weeks ago in a snowblower accident. I still got to race but dont think I could with a manual. Also have bad left knee and ankle. Thats what happens when you hit SS age. Hope you heal real quick and get back to driving your stang.
Old 3/23/11, 05:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by uncle phil
Glad I got an auto. Just shortened a couple of fingers on my right hand 4 weeks ago in a snowblower accident. I still got to race but dont think I could with a manual. Also have bad left knee and ankle. Thats what happens when you hit SS age. Hope you heal real quick and get back to driving your stang.
"SS" age - LOL - at first I thought you wrote "CRS age". Same thing I guess. Believe me, I am wishing right about now that I'd just gotten an automatic (bad left knee & right shoulder here). I have pretty much decided my NEXT car, whatever it is will be an automatic. Sorry, but I gotta live with this pain.
Old 3/29/11, 05:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Ill be 50 in a few months so the healing is not fast for me either but this week I am finally able to put all my weight on my foot (in the walking boot)
for the first time without crutches since my operation in January. Have not driven the Mustang since Oct for me.. Going back to the dr April 6th or for my final time hopefully. No paint at all and Im feeling good.. Good luck to you

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Your question is timed well - Saw Dr. today for my 4-week follow-up . The good news is: they took off the cast!

The bad news: it’s because healing isn’t progressing as quickly as the doctor wanted, so they put me in one of those walking “boots” (but I have strict instructions not to walk on it). The boot is because they are going to have me use a “bone growth stimulator” once a day for 20 minutes each day to see if they can get me back on the healing track, and the bone stimulator can’t be used with a cast.

So I still have my “knee walker” and I go back in a month for another evaluation and more x-rays. 3 weeks ‘til my shoulder surgery. Yay.

This kind of injury takes a LONG time to heal because there just isn’t much blood supply to that area. Back in my prime (I was 27-28), I had the same exact injury to my right foot, it was 8 weeks in a cast, followed by 6 weeks in a hard shoe/boot, followed by 6 more weeks of no sports. Since I am now 48 I am not surprised at my setback.

Today is Day 32 of not driving my GT. And counting.
Old 4/19/11, 06:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Unhappy IT NEVER ENDS!

Saw my foot doctor today, for 2nd 4-week follow-up (>2 months total since original foot fracture on 2/18/11 - today was the original date I'd be fully healed, mind you). Foot doctor took more x-rays and said my foot fracture is NOT HEALING AT ALL, despite 3 weeks on the bone growth stimulator!!! So after basically wallowing around on crutches and knee scooter for TWO months and enduring the endless jabs from my co-workers (“Oh , that looks like too much fun!!”, “You know what you need on that thing? - A little bell!” etc. etc.), not to mention driving the Honda Odyssey in lieu of my GT, the doctor now says I have to have SURGERY where she will join the bone parts together with a titanium screw!

The punch line: Then there’s TEN MORE WEEKS of recuperation after that - 2 weeks in a post-surgical cast (until stitches are removed), 4 weeks in a regular fiberglass cast, then 4 more weeks in a walking boot!! The icing on the cake is that the doctor is on vacation ALL next week, so the soonest I can get the surgery is at least 2 more weeks!

So does anyone have an automatic 5.0 (preferably GB or KB) they want to trade for a 6MT?
Old 4/19/11, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Saw my foot doctor today, for 2nd 4-week follow-up (>2 months total since original foot fracture on 2/18/11 - today was the original date I'd be fully healed, mind you). Foot doctor took more x-rays and said my foot fracture is NOT HEALING AT ALL, despite 3 weeks on the bone growth stimulator!!! So after basically wallowing around on crutches and knee scooter for TWO months and enduring the endless jabs from my co-workers (“Oh , that looks like too much fun!!”, “You know what you need on that thing? - A little bell!” etc. etc.), not to mention driving the Honda Odyssey in lieu of my GT, the doctor now says I have to have SURGERY where she will join the bone parts together with a titanium screw!

The punch line: Then there’s TEN MORE WEEKS of recuperation after that - 2 weeks in a post-surgical cast (until stitches are removed), 4 weeks in a regular fiberglass cast, then 4 more weeks in a walking boot!! The icing on the cake is that the doctor is on vacation ALL next week, so the soonest I can get the surgery is at least 2 more weeks!

So does anyone have an automatic 5.0 (preferably GB or KB) they want to trade for a 6MT?
I'm sorry man, that news really sucks. I saw the new post and was hoping it was you saying you were able to start driving it.
Old 4/19/11, 06:28 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Eric, i'm sorry to hear about this. I hope things go better this time.
Old 4/20/11, 06:20 AM
Cobra R Member

The worst part of this whole thing is the weather is just getting perfect for top-down driving (the whole reason I bought this car). I took delivery last June 9th, which quickly turned into the hottest June I can remember. Then Sept-Oct were the busiest I've ever had at work. So there wasn't much comfortable cruising in this thing.

I was really looking forward to April/May driving this year. Instead I am really getting in touch with my own mortality.
Old 4/20/11, 06:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Well if it makes you feel any better. This is the worst march / april I have had for top down weather in years. I usually have at least 10 - 15 days of top down drives by this time. I only have 3. This weather has sucked.

It will get better. And with the way you take care of your cars this is only one April/May of many more to come.
Old 4/20/11, 06:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by shotzy
And with the way you take care of your cars this is only one April/May of many more to come.
That's ONE positive at least - whenever I am home (am home for 2 weeks recovering from shoulder surgery right now), my wife prefers to drive her Odyssey, so the Mustang is basically just sitting in the garage, being driven only about 1x/2x per week. So it's pretty much being preserved (except for the dirty aspect). I doubt it's turned over 8,000 miles yet, and I've had it nearly a year.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 4/20/11 at 06:41 AM.
Old 4/20/11, 07:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
shesh.. mine is 4 months old with almost 3k on the ODO...
Old 4/20/11, 11:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ShaneGT
shesh.. mine is 4 months old with almost 3k on the ODO...
So are ya saying you want to trade?

(I noticed you have a 6AT)
Old 4/27/11, 01:23 PM
Cobra Member

So are ya saying you want to trade?

(I noticed you have a 6AT)
hehe no, i love my car.. :P i just need to get a daily beater for the 60 mile a day commute.
Old 5/2/11, 10:40 AM
Cobra R Member

I just got home from surgery to insert a screw in my foot to pull the bone fracture pieces together since it was not healing on its own. All went well and the doctor reports that the fracture closed nicely.

Will be in a splint, then fiberglass cast, then Frankenstein boot for 10 more weeks, so can't drive my car until late July/August becaise I wasn't smart enough to buy an automatic.

I am thankful I have this new chance! Feeling groggy & a little nausea right now, so gonna keep this short.

PS - I've decided to take a cue from the British Top Gear TV show and buy a $1500 beater (with automatic) to drive until August so my wife can have her minivan back and so I can keep the Mustang parked inside the garage until then. Found this nice '97 Olds LSS sedan, am trying to hook up with the seller...
Old 5/2/11, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eric (you not me), So sorry to hear about your situation. Glad they were able to get a screw in place. Should facilitate healing nicely. I think I'd cry if I couldn't drive my baby for that long. Great idea about getting some kind of beater. Just make sure it's something you can get your investment back when it is no longer a necessary. Hopefully everything will progress quickly and you'll be doing smoky burnouts at the track in no time.

As a fellow old guy (50) I worry about when the slow healing will hit me. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 5/2/11, 01:00 PM
Cobra Member

The nice thing about a $1500 car is that it isn't going to depreciate. You can drive it for a few months and probably sell it for what you bought it for. Good luck, Eric.