Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

SYNC or USB Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/11, 04:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SYNC or USB Problem?

So far I have enjoyed my iPod hooked into the USB port and had no issues with it. As of last night, I'm experiencing some issues.

Even though my iPod is connected to the system (the Ford logo, etc. will be in the iPod display), it won't let me play any music. I can see all songs on my iPod and see all my libraries and playlists, but when I select a song, it will appear on the screen, but won't play. It will be displayed there forever, with the counter at 0:00. I can skip forward and backward through the libarary and the song name/artist will appear, but no sound.

Already replaced the iPod cable to see if it was a problem with the connection, but no success.

Anyone experiencing similar problems?

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Also... what does the "MASTER RESET" button of the SYNC do?

Andy
Old 4/29/11, 05:42 AM
V6 Member

This happened to me too, and I thought something was broken.
All you have to do is reset/reboot your iPod.

I forget what you do to reset the iPod, you can find the instructions on Apple's website, but basically you hold a few buttons on your iPod down for about 10 seconds or so making it reset.

After you reset your iPod, you should be good to go.

Like I said, I had to do this once about three weeks after getting my car, and since then I have had no problems at all.

Sorry...not sure what the master reset button on sync does...

Hope it helps.
Old 4/29/11, 05:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Try pulling the fuse for a few minutes and reinstalling it. It's the Sync fuse, #3 from the bottom, behind kick panel on the passenger side. Be careful it is easy to lose and hard to find if you drop it. hope this helps
Old 4/29/11, 08:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Also make sure that the iPod you are using is a classic. With some of the recent OS updates on the iPod Touch and iPhone, they don't play well with SYNC.
Old 4/29/11, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the same problem sometimes with my Blackberry connected via Bluetooth. It usually only does it when I make a phone call, it pauses the music I have playing from my thumb drive, then when I end the call it wont start playing again. It does the same thing you describe, acts like its paused but its not. Usually just shut off the car and when I start it back up its fine again. Took it to the dealer, they replaced the sync module and updated Sync but didn't make a difference. In fact they forgot to even plug the new sync module back in the first time, had to go back when Sync didn't even work at all after they had it.
Old 4/29/11, 09:49 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This happened to me with my EVO. Turns out all I had to do was open the music app and hit "play"
Old 4/29/11, 12:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by treygil
This happened to me too, and I thought something was broken.
All you have to do is reset/reboot your iPod.

I forget what you do to reset the iPod, you can find the instructions on Apple's website, but basically you hold a few buttons on your iPod down for about 10 seconds or so making it reset.

After you reset your iPod, you should be good to go.

Like I said, I had to do this once about three weeks after getting my car, and since then I have had no problems at all.

Sorry...not sure what the master reset button on sync does...

Hope it helps.

This is why I love you guys here at the forum!!!! Thanks so much for your tip... it sure did the trick! Turns out that it was neither a USB or SYNC problem, but rather and iPod issue.

To reset your iPod, slide the HOLD button on and then off, then press the MENU and CENTER button at the same time for about 6 seconds, until the Apple logo appears in the screen.

After that I plugged it back into the USB port and it was playing right away with no more issues... problem solved!

Thanks guys, for all your other hints and suggestions as well... just started with the easiest first, as I know the fuse panel is a bain in the back to get to!

THANKS AGAIN!!!!
Old 4/30/11, 11:03 AM
V6 Member

Perfect, glad it helped.
Thanks for posting on how to reset the iPod as well, hopefully I will remember if it is ever needed again.