Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Swirl "finger" marks - need advice repairing

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/15, 06:14 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
After reading about your purchase in another thread I bought the same kit. I haven't used it yet. I think I'm going to practice on my Taurus this weekend and then do my Mustang before winter storage.
My first session took quite a long time because I went painfully slow for fear of screwing up bad. Plus I was constantly running into the house to watch the PC DVD for each step I encountered.

If you didn't get the PC bundle with the instructional DVD, this video will get you started....there's a ton of Mike Phillips' tips on Youtube specifically for the DA you and I have, and I highly recommend viewing.

The process is surprisingly easy. Just resist the temptation to apply excess pressure and let the machine do the work. Your function is to just guide the buffer.

The biggest mistake I made the first time was lifting the machine while it was still spinning...unless of course you enjoy cleaning your windshield, your clothes, your walls, all of your tools, and your dog.

Let us know how you make out.....post pics.

Good luck.
Old 8/19/15, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will do... I will post before/after pics once I get the equipment and give it a shot. I am very glad to know that this is fixable... Both the hologram finger marks and the swirls. I have a lot to learn, but I enjoy washing/detailing my car. It's sort of like zen therapy. I'm also thinking of getting a Dr. Colorchip kit for the road rash on my front end, but I've read mixed reviews...so not sure.
Old 8/19/15, 08:51 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Last1
I enjoy washing/detailing my car. It's sort of like zen therapy.
Zen therapy is a good way to describe our obsession. My neighbor frequently asks me why I spend so much time on my car. I tell him it's because I don't ever want my Mustang to look as bad as his new Lexus.

I recently hurt my back and have been unable to do anything, least of all the car. It's driving me crazy. The dishes can pile up in the sink, dirty underwear can lay on the floor, and coffee stains can remain on my desk. But all I can think about is garage dust on my Mustang.
Old 8/19/15, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is for Zto5 only:

Congrats for being a pro detailer bro. I guess since you are a pro know it all detailer, you can shoot down people you have no idea who they are when they speak their experiences. I had swirls and washing it and waxing it with what I stated completely got rid of them. Fact. You know what, I, unlike you, kept my car up beautifully since it had 3.8 miles on it when I bought it. I don't have a need to be a pro detailer like you're talking yourself up to be. You don't know me, or how I detail/clean my car. So keep your fingers off your keyboard about me and what I know/don't know. Thanks in advance.
Old 8/20/15, 07:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
The dishes can pile up in the sink, dirty underwear can lay on the floor, and coffee stains can remain on my desk. But all I can think about is garage dust on my Mustang.
I hear you on this, I just traded my 13' SGM GT in on a 2012 Black Roush Stage 3 with 1200 miles on it and due to the nature of my job have been having to travel to Southern Indiana a lot (3000 miles in 2 months so far). I cringe with every bug I see on the bumper and had trouble sleeping when I got a nice dent on the front edge of the hood with a deep gouge from road debris. I found a guy that pushed the dent out for free (he was happy I let him pull the car into his shop), and got the gouge touched up so you can barely see it. I wash my car every day when I get home and end up in a bad mood with all the flaws I see/find in the black paint (not to mention any rock chips I keep finding). When I see an uncovered dump truck on the highway, it takes everything I have to not want to throw a brick out of my car through their windshield. Just once I would love to pull in front of one of those rock dropping trucks with every bump and be able to pop my trunk open and release 100 croquet ***** or pinballs in front of them and see how they like it. Black is definitely not a good color for my mental health LOL.
Old 8/20/15, 07:32 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
My biggest road debris beef is tractor trailer tire chunks in the road. I hate the recapped tires. I know we have to have trucks to move our goods around, but I wish someone would design a recap that doesn't shred on the highway - are make affordable single use tires.
Old 8/20/15, 07:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
My first session took quite a long time because I went painfully slow for fear of screwing up bad. Plus I was constantly running into the house to watch the PC DVD for each step I encountered.

If you didn't get the PC bundle with the instructional DVD, this video will get you started....there's a ton of Mike Phillips' tips on Youtube specifically for the DA you and I have, and I highly recommend viewing.

How to do a "Section Pass" with a Porter Cable 7424XP - YouTube

The process is surprisingly easy. Just resist the temptation to apply excess pressure and let the machine do the work. Your function is to just guide the buffer.
It looked like he was applying a lot of pressure...the pad looked like it was getting smashed
Old 8/20/15, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
To be honest, your initial post did not say anything about using a cleaner wax and such for 6 months to remove the swirls in your paint. You stated to wash the car and they will eventually go away.

"Washing it enough times will eventually take out some of those light swirls. They are barely etched into the clear coat (shallow) and with regular washing will help."

FromZto5 is trying to say that statement is false and to not try selling that to people. He's right! Washing the car enough times will not remove even the slightest swirls. For washing the car to remove swirls means that you are adding additional marring to offset the original swirls. If that's the case, you won't have much paint left after a couple years.

Not sure why you're arguing with Z, his statements are dead on and you're off your rocker!! Now, by claiming that you removed yours with cleaner wax, clay and polishes, then that may be the case, but that is not washing alone as you stated originally.
Old 8/20/15, 08:07 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
It looked like he was applying a lot of pressure...the pad looked like it was getting smashed
I guess I should have clarified. In that vid he's doing swirl and scratch removal so that requires a bit more push, at least from what I've been successful with. I've found that the polishing/wax/ and buffing steps require much less effort. I've only had to do the swirl & scratch step once, and now it's just maintenance.

There's always some pressure needed regardless of which step you're doing, but leaning on the machine isn't necessary. The clutch mechanism will let you know if you're putting too much weight into it.

I put a black hash mark on the disc, so if I can see it, then I know I'm not doing it right. It takes a little practice but it's much easier and the results are much better than doing it by hand.
Old 8/20/15, 10:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
My biggest road debris beef is tractor trailer tire chunks in the road. I hate the recapped tires. I know we have to have trucks to move our goods around, but I wish someone would design a recap that doesn't shred on the highway - are make affordable single use tires.
Ever see the show Mythbusters? They did an episode on this very subject. Those shredded truck tire treads have enough force when coming off the truck to go through a windshield and sever a human head.

Back to the topic at hand... To Mug: I know Z on here as being a very reliable source of info. He knows quite a lot and has a beautiful car. So, show the guy a little respect... Even if there's a misunderstanding. We're all on the same side here... Mustang family, though sometimes dysfunctional haha
Old 8/20/15, 02:16 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every time you touch your paint with something during the wash, your scratching the clear, period, end of story no debate. Only way to remove swirls is to
1. Machine polish the clear to remove swirls, then protect it with wax/sealer
2. Wax it over and over to fill the swirls and minor imperfections to hide them with the "wallmart special" brand.

/Junkman2000
The junkman is not the end all of knowledge on how to get and maintain perfect paint but he is 100% correct on all of his statements.
Old 8/20/15, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The swirls I had in my paint were sort of like OPs but not as deep I'm assuming. Looking at the paint you can't seem them no matter which way you tilt your head when there is low light. But in sun and at a certain angle, you could see an odd reflection that looked unusual. Washing with a microfiber mitt, I'm assuming, rubbed the clear in such a way to take them out or to make them less noticeable. I'm not saying dude, wash it 100 times and they will be gone, I'm just saying it could take the edge off of the kind like I had. I didn't have the spiderweb-looking swirls, just odd reflections that caught the sun in a funny way that made them look like they were above the paint. They are gone with what I have mentioned I did. The only things I notice are occasional light straight scratches in the clear coat most likely from drying the car but there aren't many. Luckily I've kept my paint up pretty well.

One way I've kept it in good shape, if anyone wants to try it, is by taking it to a touchless car wash at a couple of gas stations by my house that just spray water, wash and some rainbow wax stuff on it and air dry. That's how I get the top level dirt and grime off to lessen the chance of picking up debris that could etch the clear noticeably. I sometimes do the two bucket method, but usually I just spray the mitt at an angle in a certain pattern that gets it pretty clean (the touchless wash really helps in this regard-making the paint virtually already clean with the exception of brake dust, but it's usually insignificant when I check my mitt out after doing the front doors and behind the rear wheel). To do the rear deck lid and tail lights I dip the mitt into the water and just sop the heck out of that area with the mitt drenched in order to take everything off and hopefully have it run off. I then rinse the tag, or dip it in the second bucket with the gritt guard, and get it soapy again and actually wash it after. I use a microfiber weave towel I got off of detailedimage or another website I buy stuff off of to dry it.

My favorite spray to just make the paint slick and clean after a wash or between washes is spray and wipe by poor boys. It smells awesome and is easy to apply.
Old 8/20/15, 02:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I usually use one of these to get the really crusted on dirt off. Works really well...and FAST.

Old 8/20/15, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
lol
Old 8/20/15, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Old 8/20/15, 10:28 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmoyer
To be honest, your initial post did not say anything about using a cleaner wax and such for 6 months to remove the swirls in your paint. You stated to wash the car and they will eventually go away.

"Washing it enough times will eventually take out some of those light swirls. They are barely etched into the clear coat (shallow) and with regular washing will help."

FromZto5 is trying to say that statement is false and to not try selling that to people. He's right! Washing the car enough times will not remove even the slightest swirls. For washing the car to remove swirls means that you are adding additional marring to offset the original swirls. If that's the case, you won't have much paint left after a couple years.

Not sure why you're arguing with Z, his statements are dead on and you're off your rocker!! Now, by claiming that you removed yours with cleaner wax, clay and polishes, then that may be the case, but that is not washing alone as you stated originally.
Originally Posted by lp heaven
Every time you touch your paint with something during the wash, your scratching the clear, period, end of story no debate. Only way to remove swirls is to
1. Machine polish the clear to remove swirls, then protect it with wax/sealer
2. Wax it over and over to fill the swirls and minor imperfections to hide them with the "wallmart special" brand.

Junkman Discusses Sealant/Wax Application - Including the Hype! - YouTube

Junkman2000 - YouTube

The junkman is not the end all of knowledge on how to get and maintain perfect paint but he is 100% correct on all of his statements.
Guys… don't bother correcting the individual. Let him rant on. Reminds me of my kids sometimes. They try to argue/weasel/circle themselves out of the statement they've said so many times over, they forget what they even stated. When someone believes the earth is square, in their mind it is. Let them be.

I think most of the folks on here are intelligent enough to know the difference between "washing" and "paint correction". Lol.
Old 8/21/15, 08:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I usually use one of these to get the really crusted on dirt off. Works really well...and FAST.

CRAZY SMALL WORLD. That is what I use for a back scratcher
Old 8/21/15, 09:26 AM
FR500 Member

That's Chuck Norris' toothbrush.
Old 8/21/15, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hahahaha
Old 8/21/15, 10:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member