2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Starting car when in storage.

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/11, 04:05 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
where, might I ask, have you managed to find pure gas? Every station I go to now has ethanol and I live in an area that doesnt really have winter mix fuel. They only have to tell you there's ethanol in the fuel if it's a high enough concentration (as heard from a Ford dealership manager).

it really depends on temperatures and exposure, moisture,and a few other things. But for my money, better safe than sorry!

Also, reading this thread reminds me how much I love living in the south!
Everywhere here. Ethanol is only in 89 grade gas. 87 and 91 is nonethanol. Thank goodness. Ethanol sucks.
Old 12/12/11, 04:14 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What State?

The only non eth gas available here is at bulk plants for small engines. And they won't let you fill your car.

DETROIT — The presence of ethanol — an alcohol additive made from corn — in gasoline is hardly noticed by consumers.

"Most likely, you're getting ethanol everywhere you drive in the country," generally with 10 percent added ethanol, said Kirk McCauley, a spokesman for the Service Station Dealers Association of America.

Federal regulators leave it to the states to decide whether pumps must be labeled disclosing that they dispense fuel blended with E10 . About a dozen states don't require ethanol labeling on gas pumps.

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/12/11 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12/12/11, 05:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lirathal
My plan is to put in '94 Octane and run it for at least 1/2 tank, top it off and leave it per the manual's instructions. Fuel should not degrade over 4 to 6 months in a closed system.
Yes it does.

The system is not fully closed, If it were you would create a vacuum in your tank when you drive. The fuel from the tank needs to be replaced with something as it is consumed, and that something is air.

Everyone I know that has a boat runs Sta-bil. And these are in high performance 330HP+ V8 inboard boat engines that often run WOT, nobody stores their boat without it because it works and without it there will be problems with clogged injectors or carbs.
Old 12/12/11, 06:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
remove the battery or attach a battery tender to it add stybil to your fuel and don't bother starting it at all.

+1, this is what I have been doing for 20 years and never had a problem with my Vette, Mustang, Infiniti, John Deere or Ariens. I also fill the tank. When its time to start in the spring, make sure it turns over a few times before it starts.

If we all followed the letter of the law(the manual), we wouldn't be doing any mods, right?
Old 12/12/11, 08:09 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
What State?

The only non eth gas available here is at bulk plants for small engines. And they won't let you fill your car.
Iowa. The Ethanol capital of the world lol... but yeah, we can still get non ethanol laced gas. Some stations have ethanol in ALL 3 options, 87, 89, and 91. But for the most part, you can still get non ethanol in 87 and 91 in most places.

As far as Stabil, I don't think I will add it... in 10 years of owning toy cars that get stored over winter, I never once added Stabil, and I start it 1x to 2x a month and all has been fine. I just worry about foreign liquids getting into the fuel system, injectors, etc etc. I'm sure Stabil is "fine", don't get me wrong... just not for me. Maybe if I had an older carb engine I would.
Old 12/12/11, 08:39 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Iowa. The Ethanol capital of the world lol...

hahaha - go figure.

Good luck!
Old 12/15/11, 06:04 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
tanks are never completely 'full', theres always some air...spring and fall when temps swing, that air expands/contracts and is vented thru the charcoal canister...what goes out is generally 'good stuff' that evaporates from the fuel, I dunno how it works, but sta-bil is supposed to help keep fuel from breaking down...I forgot it in my mower last year, you could actually smell the varnish in the exhaust and was kinda hard to start. I'm not a fan of additives either, but definitely believe in sta-bil.

the gas in my 69 mustang has been in it since 1984...I bet its like syrup

when my neighbor gave me his 65 galaxie, it had sat 4 years...hard to get rid of gas, figured I'd just burn it in the mower...started it with a near empty tank of good gas, dumped in the old stuff, it ran fine- but smelled pretty bad, burned the whole tank, figured in a few weeks would have used up all the nasty stuff... next week went to mow again, absolutely zero compression? pulled the head, valves were coated with a glasslike substance, had to POUND them out of the guides to polish the crap off...it still runs, but that was the last time I intentionally tried to burn nasty gas in a engine. last years non sta-bil smelled just enough to tell me I forgot, dumped it out and ran a fresh tank thru, no harm done.

I have NEVER heard anything but praise for sta-bil, will continue to use it...its cheep insurance in my opinion. injector cleaner- heard many horror stories of fuel leaks after, octane boosters, cat damage, etc...never heard of any reported damage caused by sta-bil.
Old 12/16/11, 12:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What I do is once a month take the car out of storage, run it for 20mins or go get a burger (so the engine and the steering works) then park it in storage.

if its too snowy to drive, a) I plug in my car battery charger, set it to 2Amps or b) drive out of my garage, let it run for 20mins, park it back.
Old 12/16/11, 03:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Funny story about Sta-bil...a couple months ago I bought some to store my '11 for a year. I filled er up with 91, then opened up the Sta-bil and jammed the nozzle thingy in the fuel port. When I was done, I found a large puddle of red juice all over the ground under the car. Oopsy. I waited till the last minute to do it, so I said screw it. Hope she runs decent when I get back. Apparently there is a mechanism that doesn't allow you to do this on the fuel port. Or I am a complete you-know-what. Too late now!
Old 12/16/11, 03:43 AM

E10 gas pump labeling laws -E0 ethanol-free is now a specialty fuel...

Originally Posted by StangMahn
where, might I ask, have you managed to find pure gas? Every station I go to now has ethanol and I live in an area that doesnt really have winter mix fuel. They only have to tell you there's ethanol in the fuel if it's a high enough concentration (as heard from a Ford dealership manager).

it really depends on temperatures and exposure, moisture,and a few other things. But for my money, better safe than sorry!

Also, reading this thread reminds me how much I love living in the south!
E10 pump labeling laws differ in each and every state.
About 13 states do NOT require pump labeling when ethanol added. http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_gu...anol_laws.html

Since over 90% of conventional gasoline now sold (Dec.2011) contains ethanol, safe to "assume" alcohol presence - The legal limit for alcohol in conventional gas is, and always has been, 10%.

Those who experience problems with ethanol, often due to (illegal) over-blending above 10%. It is very easy and simple to test gas for alcohol presence and percent -Profit motives exist to over-blend. (ethanol tax credits and subsidies).

The Southeast states were the last to switch over but ironically have had the most contaminated E10 gas sold since 2008-09. (Based on reports we receive).

FL has had a "mandatory E10 blending law" since March 2008. Law was repealed this month but following day they decided to postpone decision (See FL HB 4013 and SB 238).
West coast and midwest have been selling E10 as primary fuel type since between 2004-06.

Non-ethanol fuel has become a specialty fuel.
In places like FL they now call gas without ethanol "recreational fuel"...
States that have "mandatory E10" laws exempt specific engine types (EG. aircraft, marine, classic cars, etc.), but again laws differ in every state. Exemptions are meaningless if stations in your area don't sell E0.

B/C we believe consumers require a choice (gas with or without alcohol), we started a petition about a year ago, to help reclaim right to buy ethanol-free fuel:
http://www.fueltestkit.com/fuel_choi...tion_2011.html

Alcohol attracts and absorbs water (oil and water do not mix) which causes gas phase separation- Because of this, most engine manufacturers now recommend leaving tank EMPTY for prolonged storage (more than 1 to 2 months)...
Stabil and all other gas additve products do NOT prevent or remove water in a sedentary engine. (Stabil and some others just simply "perk up" bad gas)-
IMO fresh fuel is always better/safer than "perked-up" bad E10 gas that very likely will contain water over time...

We have a resource page of sites that list ethanol-free gas station locations: http://www.fueltestkit.com/find_etha..._gasoline.html

Tip: Gas station lists, although helpful, must always be considered UNRELIABLE since locations are posted by the "public", who may not be testing gas to confirm alcohol-free + gas blending changes from day-to-day regarding ethanol- May not contain ethanol today, but could tomorrow - The many variables depend on where you live, ethanol laws and fuel distribution, by who and where ethanol is blended-in, winter or summer, and much more.

Most engines can tolerate ethanol in gas when it is below 10%, water-free and other necessary precautions are followed.
Old 12/16/11, 02:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by brewsky54
Funny story about Sta-bil...a couple months ago I bought some to store my '11 for a year. I filled er up with 91, then opened up the Sta-bil and jammed the nozzle thingy in the fuel port. When I was done, I found a large puddle of red juice all over the ground under the car. Oopsy. I waited till the last minute to do it, so I said screw it. Hope she runs decent when I get back. Apparently there is a mechanism that doesn't allow you to do this on the fuel port. Or I am a complete you-know-what. Too late now!
If you look in your trunk, you will find a funnel located with your tire mobility kit compressor. With the capless fuel door the little flapper valve is further down in the line to the tank. So insert funnel in filler hole, pour Sta-Bil, remove funnel and enjoy !
Old 12/16/11, 04:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
If you look in your trunk, you will find a funnel located with your tire mobility kit compressor. With the capless fuel door the little flapper valve is further down in the line to the tank. So insert funnel in filler hole, pour Sta-Bil, remove funnel and enjoy !
Good to know, thanks! I will see if my neighbor can take of this for me, it is well beyond my wife's skill level...