Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sound tube delete

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/15, 12:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
Funny thing is. I decided to ditch the catch can. After two weeks it had caught maybe a tablespoon, but the bigger issue is while I was data-logging, the A/F ratio was running lean at WOT.. If you are going to run a catch can, make sure it's not causing you to run lean.

Now that it's off, no more lean condition.

I'd argue a faulty catch can or connectors to have a lean condition.
Old 4/13/15, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 10.25 kit with 5.25 shipping is not exactly 10.25.
Old 4/13/15, 09:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What are you using to plug the firewal?
Old 4/13/15, 11:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the firewall plug. I just need to find the intake tube cap. I can't seem to find anything here. What size is it? Anyone know?
Old 4/13/15, 11:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Found it. Go to the 5.0 GT modifications section, type in "sound tube" in the search and you should see the parts list up top. 1 3/4" cap plugs at lowes or home depot.
Old 4/14/15, 05:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Found it. Go to the 5.0 GT modifications section, type in "sound tube" in the search and you should see the parts list up top. 1 3/4" cap plugs at lowes or home depot.
I tried several local Lowes and could not find that Hillman cap. It is part number 884315. I found someone selling them on Ebay. It was awhile ago so I don't remember where I found them. But you guys hoping to find them locally may have to check the net.

Last edited by 88lx50; 4/14/15 at 05:59 AM.
Old 4/14/15, 09:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I had problems finding the Hillman as well so I tried Ace and they had the cap I pictured before. I understand they may not have Ace in Germany though but try the part number somewhere else or ask a local hardware store if they sell something similar. 1.5 inches worked perfectly.
Attached Images  
Old 4/14/15, 10:10 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by fiberman
A 10.25 kit with 5.25 shipping is not exactly 10.25.
Never said it was $10.25. $10.99, then around 2.50 for first class postage.

Last edited by RTR-5.0; 4/14/15 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Change a word
Old 4/14/15, 10:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
Funny thing is. I decided to ditch the catch can. After two weeks it had caught maybe a tablespoon, but the bigger issue is while I was data-logging, the A/F ratio was running lean at WOT.. If you are going to run a catch can, make sure it's not causing you to run lean.
Now that it's off, no more lean condition.
What brand catch can?
I'm willing to bet JLT!
I think it's funny that people are more interested in what the engine bay looks like rather than all the oil your sucking down your intake!
I would rather have the inside of my engine clean.
And I don't think a catch can is bad looking!
Attached Thumbnails Sound tube delete-image.jpg  
Old 4/15/15, 06:28 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
What brand catch can?
I'm willing to bet JLT!
I think it's funny that people are more interested in what the engine bay looks like rather than all the oil your sucking down your intake!
Steeda.

It only happened at WOT. otherwise it was fine. But with the small amount it is catching, I'm not that worried about it. I won't risk a lean condition to catch a few drops of oil.
Old 4/15/15, 06:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BackroadGT
...my jlt catches oil and is not useless in my opinion.
I have never hit a deer here in downtown Jacksonville so my deer whistles must not be useless either. And even better, my alien whistles have kept me from being abducted by aliens for nefarious purposes.
Old 4/15/15, 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If it was that necessary Ford would have put it on the engine.....
Old 4/15/15, 08:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
It may not be necessary, but it can be beneficial. I doubt the average driver who views a car as a tool to go from point A to point B would ever empty a catch can.
Old 4/15/15, 09:07 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
What brand catch can?
I'm willing to bet JLT!

Looks good too me!

One of the best looking catch cans out there.
Old 4/15/15, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by JCStang
FYI, Ford Racing recommends a separator to prevent degrading the fuel octane level when running their Ford Racing Trackey/ProCal tune and too prevent pinging.

http://www.fordracingbyspeedshopdire...gory_s/523.htm

Last edited by shaneyusa; 4/15/15 at 09:24 PM.
Old 4/15/15, 10:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
FYI, Ford Racing recommends a separator to prevent degrading the fuel octane level when running their Ford Racing Trackey/ProCal tune and too prevent pinging.

http://www.fordracingbyspeedshopdire...gory_s/523.htm
The tech line @ ford racing told me about a catch can when I called with questions about the procal tune, before I even bought my car. I installed my catch can within the first 100 miles on my car. I just turned over 10,000 miles yesterday, I have poured all the oil from my catch can into a empty oil bottle from day 1. I have just over 1/2 qt of oil caught by my seperator.
If your ok with all that oil being burnt in your motor that's your buisness, but to say they are not needed is crazy from a performance view!
Old 4/15/15, 10:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
How is it, that the sound tube discussion ends up being a discussion about pro and con oil catch can?

I think those Eibach springs are much better.....
Old 4/16/15, 06:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
The tech line @ ford racing told me about a catch can when I called with questions about the procal tune, before I even bought my car. I installed my catch can within the first 100 miles on my car. I just turned over 10,000 miles yesterday, I have poured all the oil from my catch can into a empty oil bottle from day 1. I have just over 1/2 qt of oil caught by my seperator.
If your ok with all that oil being burnt in your motor that's your buisness, but to say they are not needed is crazy from a performance view!

lol a half quart of oil over 10k miles is hardly anything. That's so little over time, and it all gets burnt up in the combustion chamber anyway. If you were really THAT worried about your engine getting dirty on the inside, you'd disable the EGR system. That's doing a lot worse to make your engine dirty than a little trickle of oil.
Old 4/16/15, 06:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
http://oilcatchcan.com/

http://oilcatchcan.com/oil-catch-can-benefits/

"Why don’t the auto manufacturers incorporate something similar? Cost and the added maintenance was deemed something that would NOT be accepted by the general market (even though it is as simple as draining the can at each oil change).

Bottom line is this: The OEM system does a great job of meeting emission standards and removing the harmful contaminants, but the unintended consequences are the oil that is drawn into the intake charge. For an engine to produce the maximum amount of energy per explosion (of the A/F in the combustion chamber) you want air & fuel only….any amount of oil in this mix will hamper the explosion resulting in less energy released, detonation, and carbon buildup. Trapping and removing this oil before it gets into the combustion chamber is the ONLY solution to maintaining the maximum efficiency and prevent excess carbon buildup. A correctly designed and installed Oil Catch Can solves this problem."

The defense rests.

Last edited by imeyers302; 4/16/15 at 07:00 AM.
Old 4/16/15, 07:24 AM

So, back to topic...

Are there any consequences for removing the sound tube? I know the benefit of a nicer looking engine bay and a change in the cockpit sound. Anything to worry about if it is removed?

It appears to me that the tube is drawing air from inside of the car into the intake. Is that true? What is on the inside of the firewall end of the tube? There is a balast or something inline in the tube. Does that keep any real air movement from happening so only the sound from the intke enters the inside of car?

I agree it looks very unneeded and wonder why Ford would go to the expense of adding something that could reduce the cost of the car, even ever so slightly if it really has no other purpose.

Fill me in...

Last edited by shaneyusa; 4/16/15 at 07:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Sound tube delete