Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Shifting gates....... ****

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/13, 07:26 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
It's not even broken in yet, give it at least 500 miles otherwise the dealer is just going to tell you that's how the trans should feel.

LMAO!! I want them to tell me that and It will not leave their lot....
Old 4/5/13, 07:38 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wiz_of_wuz
They are close.......... I am afraid to let the clutch out as 5th is 3rd to often.
How can you possibly confuse 5th and 3rd? 5th & 6th is the gate to the hard right. Like 1st and 2nd are the gate to the hard left. Let the detents work to bring the shifter back to the middle gate for 3rd & 4th.
Its a finesse shifter - not unlike the later 3650's. Quit using your meat hooks trying to force it like a 60's hurst or an old pickup.
Old 4/5/13, 07:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Its a finesse shifter - not unlike the later 3650's. Quit using your meat hooks trying to force it like a 60's hurst or an old pickup. [/COLOR]
I don't get why people keep saying it is the drivers fault. If so many people are making comments and complaining, then something is not right. I have by no means been driving a manual all my life, but i think after driving manual Jeeps hardcore off-road, and a small turbo German "sports" cart with 0 issues, i would think i could at least adapt some after 2k miles.

The problem is, i'm not, and i don't see it getting any better. Call it what you want, but if Ford put out a transmission that is not intuitive to the average or above average driver then they did something wrong. I don't manhandle it by any means, and it still will grind/lock out from 3rd on occasion.

That or they are very inconsistent with quality on the MT82 and some people just don't have any issues and can't understand why others do.
Old 4/5/13, 07:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
just relax with the drama and learn how to use it. not all cars work the same.
Fixed, and I agree.
Old 4/5/13, 08:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Sieran
I don't get why people keep saying it is the drivers fault. If so many people are making comments and complaining, then something is not right. I have by no means been driving a manual all my life, but i think after driving manual Jeeps hardcore off-road, and a small turbo German "sports" cart with 0 issues, i would think i could at least adapt some after 2k miles.

The problem is, i'm not, and i don't see it getting any better. Call it what you want, but if Ford put out a transmission that is not intuitive to the average or above average driver then they did something wrong. I don't manhandle it by any means, and it still will grind/lock out from 3rd on occasion.

That or they are very inconsistent with quality on the MT82 and some people just don't have any issues and can't understand why others do.
This may seem odd, but have you switched your brake fluid to DOT4?
Old 4/5/13, 08:14 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
This may seem odd, but have you switched your brake fluid to DOT4?
I have not yet. I thought they switched fluid in the 13+ and was better?
Old 4/5/13, 08:21 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to learn how to use my 2012 5.0.. I am sure the jeep and the little german car worked and felt alittle different.... people keep saying its the driver because it is the driver. makes sense right?
Old 4/5/13, 08:24 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I had to learn how to use my 2012 5.0.. I am sure the jeep and the little german car worked and felt alittle different.... people keep saying its the driver because it is the driver. makes sense right?
Not really. Not much complication to letting the shifter center itself then pushing straight up only to hit a wall. Not sure how driver experience can get around that.
Old 4/5/13, 08:27 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its something you just learn to drive.. you have never driven a old sport car.. cant believe people are crying over these nice easy to drive mt82's..
Old 4/5/13, 08:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have not yet. I thought they switched fluid in the 13+ and was better?
Not sure but I would switch to a good DOT4 since the clutch uses the same fluid, I found after switching to a DOT4 that I got no lockout, plus removal of the shift assist spring helps also.
Old 4/5/13, 09:02 PM
V6 Member

Myself, I have easily 200,000 plus miles driving 5 speeds. This is my first 6-speed. I picked it up on my way to work yesterday, and have put not quite 200 more miles on it. My feeling so far, is that shifting it takes more technique than any 5-speed that I have owned. The downshift from 6 to 5 must be made with a deliberate pressure to the right, or it will turn into a 6 to 3 shift every time. I feel that it was probably intended to be that way, so you can go from idling along in 6th, to making lots of power in third in the blink of an eye. I have no doubt that the shifter could be improved, but, so far, I feel that mine works fine but will just take a bit of practice to become second nature. Right now, it just requires a little thought on my part.
Old 4/5/13, 09:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Anybody that complains about the shift action of the MT-82 never drove a '96-'04 Mustang with the terrible angled shifter. This thing is worlds better. Get over it or buy a MGW shifter.
Old 4/5/13, 09:51 PM
Banned

get over it people. nearly 10k on my '13 and I didn't like it the first week. I was also coming from a Tremec T-56'd LS2 GTO with a GM Motorsports Street shifter with Lou's Short stick shift arm and a hurst ball. Yeah, it shifts totally different. I'm over it now, and don't mind the stock shifter. Sure I *might* change eventually, but for now, it's fine.
Old 4/5/13, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
get over it people. nearly 10k on my '13 and I didn't like it the first week. I was also coming from a Tremec T-56'd LS2 GTO with a GM Motorsports Street shifter with Lou's Short stick shift arm and a hurst ball. Yeah, it shifts totally different. I'm over it now, and don't mind the stock shifter. Sure I *might* change eventually, but for now, it's fine.
You don't mind the stock shifter because you don't know what you're missing. Change that shifter and you'll kick yourself for not changing it sooner. Don't argue with me, do it...do it.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 4/5/13 at 09:58 PM.
Old 4/5/13, 10:07 PM
Banned

No, I don't mind the stock shifter, because my car is a daily driven car that doesn't and won't be raced at the strip, the street, or anywhere else. nearly 10k on it and I have yet to do a burnout.

When I bought my 2005 GTO, I thought I cared, I raced it all over, street, strip, highway, mexico, underwater, in space, everywhere. A shifter was one of the first mods! By the time it had 15k on it, it had already been through three (YES THREE) sets of rear tires. It also had an aftermarket cam, valvesprings, retainers, a beefed up lower end, long tube headers, full catback, HIDs, different taillights, different spoiler, a loud stereo, window tint, etc etc etc etc. the list goes on forever.

I really don't feel like the Mustang *needs* it. I might get around to it eventually, but it's not impeding anything, and is worlds better than what was stock in any prior car I've had. I'm not out to change things for the sake of changing them. I had *goals* with the car, and I think I've met all of them.

All I have left is a want for window tint, the drivers side fender fixed and repainted, new dampers, and a speaker upgrade for the doors.
I kinda want offroad pipes to be cat free, because I want more volume, but I don't want to deal with the stupid inspection laws on the east coast. I might consider changing the axlebacks instead.

beyond that, this car is truly done. Might not be much to you, but I've already got easily 3k in mods sunk into it, just to make it be like what I sort of envisioned as my *Dream Mustang*. I've achieved that, right down to the wheels.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 4/5/13 at 10:12 PM.
Old 4/5/13, 10:08 PM
Banned

No, I don't mind the stock shifter, because my car is a daily driven car that doesn't and won't be raced at the strip, the street, or anywhere else. nearly 10k on it and I have yet to do a burnout.

When I bought my 2005 GTO, I thought I cared, I raced it all over, street, strip, highway, mexico, underwater, in space, everywhere. A shifter was one of the first mods! By the time it had 15k on it, it had already been through three (YES THREE) sets of rear tires. It also had an aftermarket cam, valvesprings, retainers, a beefed up lower end, long tube headers, full catback, HIDs, different taillights, different spoiler, a loud stereo, window tint, etc etc etc etc. the list goes on forever.

I really don't feel like the Mustang *needs* it. I might get around to it eventually, but it's not impeding anything, and is worlds better than what was stock in any prior car I've had.
Did you read the last part of my post? Don't argue...do it...do it. Lol
Old 4/5/13, 10:13 PM
Banned

Arguing is what I do best, Joe.
Old 4/5/13, 10:14 PM
Banned

Arguing is what I do best, Joe.
You should know I've never lost an argument. Now go change to an MGW
Old 4/5/13, 10:15 PM
Banned

Will I lose the factory style reverse lockout?
Old 4/5/13, 10:20 PM
Banned

Will I lose the factory style reverse lockout?
I don't know, I have a tremec, probably not

Quick Reply: Shifting gates....... ****