2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Seat belts

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/14, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat belts

I just purchased a new 2014 Mustang GT, I love the car, except one thing. The seat belts drive me crazy, they lock up any time I hit the gas or breaks momentarily and hold me down in my seat until I come to a complete stop. Does any one know if there is a way to adjust them so they are not as sensitive, or maybe a way to make them let go easier without having to stop the car first? It is extremely aggravating not to be able to move forward to see over the hood all the way any time I touch the breaks or hit the gas hard.
Old 5/25/14, 08:29 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I have no idea what you are complaining about. The seat bets are doing their job. I have the Recaro Race seats in my car, and I do take it to a few track days a year. They do a fantastic job keeping you where you need to be to get to all the pedals and control inputs regardless of lateral or longitudinal forces. You are not supposed to move more than 2 or 3" in your seat.

Besides, if you hit the gas in a 5.0, there is no way you CAN move forward in your seat. Just saying.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 5/25/14 at 08:31 PM.
Old 5/25/14, 08:52 PM

It isn't really when I hit the gas so much as when coming to a stop that I am complaining about. For example, when getting off the freeway, coming up to the point where you turn onto whatever street the freeway is getting off at I would normally just slow down without coming to a complete stop to check for oncoming traffic before making the turn. I like to move forward in my seat to get a better view of the street I will be turning into. This car does not allow for me to do that, if I slow down the seat belt locks in place to keep me pinned to the seat. I understand this is not a defect or anything and it is functioning the way it was designed, I guess I am just not used to it. I travel a lot for work, my company pays for rental cars every where I go and most cars I have driven the seat belts are not quite as sensitive as this Mustang. I am just trying to find out if there is a way to adjust whatever mechanism in the seat belts that cause it to lock up when slowing the car down to not lock up so easily or to release without having to come to a complete stop.
Old 5/25/14, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There may be something else "interfering" with the operation of your lap belt!?

And, are you really getting away with that username? Aaaahahaha!
Old 5/25/14, 09:23 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never experienced anything like this in my car. Maybe I just don't try to move around like you describe.

Not to disparage, but are you tall or short?

Guess you could pull some slack in the seatbelt and put a clip on it or something to keep the slack from being sucked back up, then you could move forward like you want, but that defeats the safety features of the seatbelts.
Old 5/25/14, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My advice to you: drive up alongside a storefront plate glass window, take a long look at your reflection, and repeat to yourself as many times as necessary, "Thank ya Jesus, that's not a Prius I'm sitting in". In all seriousness, by the time you have that GT broken in, you may be surprised at how well your driving style and the car's responses have meshed with each other. Enjoy your ride!
Old 5/25/14, 09:33 PM

I am 5'11''. Yeah, I do not want to disable the safety features of the seat belt, just make it a bit less strict. If it cannot be done I will just get used to it, it is a minor inconvenience to me. Over all I am extremely happy with my new Mustang. Thank you for the replies.
Old 5/25/14, 09:51 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 605 Likes on 436 Posts
Instead of stabbing the breaks, use the brakes in a normal fashion and you wont have that problem. I never have the seatbelts lock up when I use the brakes under normal driving, but they will lock up if you use the breaks.
Old 5/25/14, 10:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I've never experienced anything like this in my car. Maybe I just don't try to move around like you describe.

Not to disparage, but are you tall or short?

Guess you could pull some slack in the seatbelt and put a clip on it or something to keep the slack from being sucked back up, then you could move forward like you want, but that defeats the safety features of the seatbelts.

Judging by his screen name I would say he is short.
Old 5/26/14, 06:19 AM
GTR Member

Maybe it's because you're using the "breaks" instead of the "brakes"...

I think you're just going to have to get used to it, that's just the breaks!
Old 5/26/14, 06:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

I get the belt lock sometimes, but I'm usually slowing the car down by shifting... So only happens with braking and not stopping.

Anyway, it's time for breakfast.
Old 5/26/14, 07:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
When you have your shoulder belt lock, simply leaning back to remove the pressure of your upper body pushing on the belt will unlock it allowing you to lean forward. It is not necessary to stop the car, just to release any pressure pushing on the shoulder belt so that it can unlock. Of course, actually stopping when turning at stop signs and red lights might help too.
Old 5/26/14, 09:53 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Last1

Anyway, it's time for breakfast.

Or is that brakefest???
Old 9/25/14, 01:02 PM

This is not a joke

You guys are making light of a serious safety hazard. I also experience this over sensitive seatbelt lock--trapping me against my seat--usually at a crucial moment when I need to lean forward to see through either side view mirror--and happens not because I have slammed on the breaks or anything like that. Took the 2010 GT in to local dealer, and was told that there was nothing that could be done about it--that when the car leans beyond a certain angle, the seat belt is supposed to lock--however--I do not think that this is a good thing--it is a serious safety hazard to be trapped in one's seat, in the crucial seconds after a traffic issue which necessitated a sudden (not hard) tap on the breaks--preventing the driver from seeing oncoming side traffic. I suspect that Ford will do nothing about this until there are several deaths and/or owner make a lot of noise about the problem.
Old 9/25/14, 02:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh, I think you should sue now.
Old 9/25/14, 02:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Instead of stabbing the breaks, use the brakes in a normal fashion and you wont have that problem. I never have the seatbelts lock up when I use the brakes under normal driving, but they will lock up if you use the breaks.
That was my first thought too: stabbing the brakes. I've only had the seatbelt lock when I jerk my torso forward (insert joke here) or when really humping it (or here) around corners.
Old 9/25/14, 02:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I have 2 mustangs one V6 and a new GT. They both do the same thing. You have to learn to be soft on the breaks around town. if not they lock right up and I have been held to tight in the seat more times than I can remember. None of my other cars or SUV have this issue.