Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Roush TVS Blower?

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/13, 07:25 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by GT50GO
Don't get me wrong LOVE the Shelby but there is a matter of it being just a "few"... bucks more. Even with the cost of all the add-on I'm not even close to the base sticker of the Shelby, but like I said love the Shelby. Really hard to compare the two except for HP now Add long-tubes, etc... and there goes the warranty
Amen to that.
Old 10/12/13, 09:52 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,219 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
The reason the warranty coverage is reduced is because it is SUPERCHARGED and the motor is not specially built for it and the stress on the components is higher and of course the owners for the most part don't pussyfoot them around.
If you were Roush you wouldn't give a better warranty either. It's actually amazing that the warranty is as good as it is considering the nature of the application.
Ummm,............yeah and no. The stock engine can take the supercharger as long as you aren't full out racing every single day and beating the crap out of the car every single day.
If that was the case, then the Magnuson that Burton put on his car would be a lot more dangerous to his car than said Roushchargers on stock 5.0 Mustangs. (His tune is said to be 600 crank HP as opposed to Roush RS3 cars with 565/ 575 horsepower from factory.)
Old 10/12/13, 10:00 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Ummm,............yeah and no. The stock engine can take the supercharger as long as you aren't full out racing every single day and beating the crap out of the car every single day. If that was the case, then the Magnuson that Burton put on his car would be a lot more dangerous to his car than said Roushchargers on stock 5.0 Mustangs. (His tune is said to be 600 crank HP as opposed to Roush RS3 cars with 565/ 575 horsepower from factory.)
That is correct tony. Talked to magnuson extensively, along with several known tuners. 5.0 stock can handle about 600whp safely. So 530ish whp is plenty for me with magnusons box tune. I'm well within "safe" zone. And no I don't race or track or abuse, so I'm confident in magnuson and their engineers. That's why they offer 5 yr powertrain warranties.
Old 10/12/13, 03:12 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by FromZto5
That is correct tony. Talked to magnuson extensively, along with several known tuners. 5.0 stock can handle about 600whp safely. So 530ish whp is plenty for me with magnusons box tune. I'm well within "safe" zone. And no I don't race or track or abuse, so I'm confident in magnuson and their engineers. That's why they offer 5 yr powertrain warranties.
Yes sir. Any more than 650 crank HP, I would go forged internals. That's just me though.
Old 10/13/13, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes sir. Any more than 650 crank HP, I would go forged internals. That's just me though.
Has anyone else upgraded to Phase 2 on their stock 5.0?

Any problems with the extra 50 HP?
Old 10/14/13, 06:58 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian_289
Maybe it's just a business decision on Roush's part.
Indeed, why expose yourself to 2 extra years of liability if you don't have to. An extended warranty is a almost purely a money maker. You don't mind paying for the peace of mind (Roush probably more than any other outfit knows how far you can take the engine without seriously compromising reliability) and Roush gets to put the money in the bank and collect the interest.

If the extended warranty was anywhere near a break even proposition or worse you wouldn't see an extended warranty for their product unless it was absolutely necessary to move the product.

Hell Whipple will provide a 8,000 dollar powertrain warranty (5k engine, 1.5k trans, 1.5k diff) that matches the new vehicle warranty (5yr/60k for Ford) when purchasing a new kit for a new car albeit probably only 525hp at the crank or maybe more as they don't spell out which kit might have a warranty exclusion.

Last edited by bob; 10/14/13 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10/14/13, 02:36 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by 14rs3roush
Has anyone else upgraded to Phase 2 on their stock 5.0? Any problems with the extra 50 HP?
If you got to Phase 2, which I was going to do when I had bought the car, your car will not pass emissions, unless you have the stock tune on your tuner to revert to.
(I was going to do the Phase 2, had everything filled out for it, but upon further investigation about MA emissions and not passing, I opted out, just to be safe. Even though I would have the original tune on the SCT tuner, just being safe. Who knows what the future holds though?? )
Old 10/14/13, 05:33 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you got to Phase 2, which I was going to do when I had bought the car, your car will not pass emissions, unless you have the stock tune on your tuner to revert to.
(I was going to do the Phase 2, had everything filled out for it, but upon further investigation about MA emissions and not passing, I opted out, just to be safe. Even though I would have the original tune on the SCT tuner, just being safe. Who knows what the future holds though?? )
That's strange, here in Texas it would pass even at phase 3 so long as all emission equipment was in place and functioning since all they do is a OBDII hookup to check that all emissions are functioning and a visual to make sure all the equipment is in place. I bet tennessee where that other car is will be the same way.

Massachusetts must have emissions laws like california.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 10/14/13 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10/14/13, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here in Georgia, add long as your equipment is in place and no check engine light you pass
Old 10/14/13, 06:02 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Massachusetts must have emissions laws like california.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Unfortunately we do. Otherwise, I would have gotten the Phase 2. I need to move.
Old 10/14/13, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Unfortunately we do. Otherwise, I would have gotten the Phase 2. I need to move.
What is it that would cause it to fail, the CAI? OBDII wise it should be fine. My phase II is due for Texas inspection this upcoming February but I don't think I'll have any issues.
Old 10/14/13, 07:48 PM
I Have No Life

If you got to Phase 2, which I was going to do when I had bought the car, your car will not pass emissions, unless you have the stock tune on your tuner to revert to. (I was going to do the Phase 2, had everything filled out for it, but upon further investigation about MA emissions and not passing, I opted out, just to be safe. Even though I would have the original tune on the SCT tuner, just being safe. Who knows what the future holds though?? )
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Unfortunately we do. Otherwise, I would have gotten the Phase 2. I need to move.
So tony, I think I'm confusing myself... So you have a stage 3 roush, but that's the phase 1 (575crank hp) kit... Is that correct? So the phase 1 kit will pass emissions? Luckily in Iowa there are no emission laws. Curious tho, would my new setup pass emissions if there was one?
Old 10/14/13, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Same here...no emissions testing in East Tennessee, so no worries.

Last edited by EastTNMustang; 10/15/13 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10/15/13, 09:14 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I keep seeing "we have no emission laws in our state" but of course this is not the case. Individual states may not do testing, or only do minimal testing, but they all have emissions regulations at the state level, and of course at the federal level.

Anyway, unless your state is like CA, or MA, or one of the other states that does stringent emissions testing, you should be able to pass inspection with any of the Roush phases so long as it is on the Roush tuning or the aftermarket tuning has not disabled any of the emissions equipment and all are in place so it would pass a visual inspection.

Now, if you live in a state, or a county like some in Texas, that only does a safety inspection then you are gold, do anything you want and still pass inspection.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 10/15/13 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10/15/13, 03:21 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by GT50GO
What is it that would cause it to fail, the CAI? OBDII wise it should be fine. My phase II is due for Texas inspection this upcoming February but I don't think I'll have any issues.
I am thinking it might be the cai that may throw it off. All I know is that it would not pass MA emissions, so I opted out like a fool. I should have gotten it and just throw the stock tune come emissions time. I may still update someday.

So tony, I think I'm confusing myself... So you have a stage 3 roush, but that's the phase 1 (575crank hp) kit... Is that correct? So the phase 1 kit will pass emissions? Luckily in Iowa there are no emission laws. Curious tho, would my new setup pass emissions if there was one?
Mine is the 2013 car, so I have 565 horsepower.
If your kit says that it is 50 state legal, you will pass emissions in all states, including MA and CA, which have stricter emissions testing.
Old 10/15/13, 03:25 PM
I Have No Life

^ I need to check with Maggie folks to see if it indeed is.
Old 10/15/13, 04:30 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

^ I need to check with Maggie folks to see if it indeed is.
I am more than certain that the kit is 50 state emissions legal.