2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

The 'ring' & the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/10, 08:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vermillion06
All in the comments section of the article:

This dude has a problem with Nissan, big time. His real issue is how can a car manufacturer build a Porsche Turbo class car with similar figures for fractions less. This is what's getting Porsche all bothered. There are plenty of cars that are faster than Porsche eg. Veyron, Ferrari, and Lambo but because they're all priced higher, Porsche doesn't care. But if the Veyron was priced lower than the Turbo or GT2, you can bet Porsche would be making a big fuss as well. And so is the writer of this article.

If this guy bothered to do research before spewing garbage from his fingers he'd know that the Sport Auto test for the GT-R was a shake down lap rather than a supertest, done in the wet, and it still beat the Dry SuperTest time of the 911 Turbo by 4 seconds from the same driver by the same magazine.

Obviously, lap times on a long course are going to have some serious potential variability, but so would 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. Not to mention the fact that 90% of drivers couldn't duplicate the published numbers (particularly if they want their vehicle to last past 40k miles)...

It offers possibly the widest variety of corners, terrain and conditions of any testing venue on earth. A car developed here gets a big, big headstart on working well on the roads elsewhere in the world.
Old 8/11/10, 11:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
All in the comments section of the article:
you're now using one comment about a guy who hate's porsche's and clearly a nissan lover to amplify your point.

see what i did there? used a similar comment to detract the point. would it be cool to see the 2011 get it on the ring and finally compare to the m3? definitely, but it'd be so hard to judge if there the numbers are real.
Old 8/12/10, 12:27 AM
Cobra R Member

So what makes that author of the article, Jack Baruth, a "controversial" ex BMX biker have more of an expert opinion about the 'ring compared to anyone else... He's never even ran it.

See what I did there? You're using an ignorant, Porsche infatuated, ex bmx biker, to discredit nearly 90 years of the track's heritage. It predates the mustang by 37 years.

on his profile he states:
In the past decade he has owned two VW Phaetons, a bright green Audi S5, multiple Porsches, and a deeply-missed 1982 VW Quantum Coupe in Harvest Gold. In the past several years, Jack has won a few races, lost many more, received multiple disciplinary actions for contact and rough driving, and hit the Armco at Mid-Ohio at approximately ninety-five miles per hour.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/about/

And I didn't use anything within that article to discredit my view, rather show that for those that agree with what is said, there are others who obviously know better...

His points are a far cry from any valid statement. And are clearly biased. I mean discrediting all of Nurburgring? His whole purpose for writing that article was to put Porsche on a pedestal... I can honestly care less of Nissan vs Porsche. I take into account the substance of the article and the words behind them and how they stem and where they reach.

Here's from one of his bosses regarding Jack's views...

The biggest problem here may not be the substance of Jack’s views, but the way he presents them. For some of you, Jack’s rant is like a sex tourist bragging about having intercourse with an underage prostitute. Fair enough. But it is my experience that the majority of writers worth reading are born braggadocios. There is only one effective weapon against the terror of the blank page: ego. Jeremy Clarkson excepted, do not mistake mission critical rhetorical flamboyance for arrogance.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/why...ed-editorials/
So yea, he sounds like a legit source...

As I said, over and over, And I'm not going to harp on it anymore... Or post.
Auto Sport has done close to 90% of the tests, each with the same driver. So, if you think for example, a Ferarri F430 Scuderia receives suspension upgrades on top of the fact that it has been built for extreme track work, and auto sports declares it clean... than keep the conspiracy. You can use weather as an excuse and all that, but then put an asterix next to quarter mile runs and 0-60s.

That whole article by Jack is useless.
Old 8/12/10, 12:34 AM
FR500 Member

Despite the arguments over the validity of a "Nurburgring lap time", still curious to see what kind of time a 5.0 Brembo-equipped GT could post up. Just because. Also interesting to hear the opinions on the car's driving dynamics while taking on this "benchmark" track. Perhaps Ford should debut the street Boss 302 SE in this manner.
Old 8/12/10, 12:38 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd rather see what it does on the Top Gear track
Old 8/12/10, 12:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Despite the arguments over the validity of a "Nurburgring lap time", still curious to see what kind of time a 5.0 Brembo-equipped GT could post up. Just because. Also interesting to hear the opinions on the car's driving dynamics while taking on this "benchmark" track. Perhaps Ford should debut the street Boss 302 SE in this manner.
It'll be this Friday at Laguna Seca.
If they don't run it through the course that'll be a waste. And if it doesn't get under 1:45 there I'll be disappointed.

Here's the other track times to compare... but none of them are real, they're figments of imagination. So no one compare the times... ever!

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track16.html
Old 8/12/10, 12:51 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
It'll be this Friday at Laguna Seca.
If they don't run it through the course that'll be a waste. And if it doesn't get under 1:45 there I'll be disappointed.

Here's the other track times to compare... but none of them are real, they're figments of imagination. So no one compare the times... ever!

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track16.html
nope, no need for them to tinker with times at Laguna Seca. Thats because fanboys don't have wet dreams over Seca times
Old 8/12/10, 12:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I'd rather see what it does on the Top Gear track

but if Clarkson disses the GT, I'll never forgive him...
Old 8/12/10, 12:57 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by super6stang
but if Clarkson disses the GT, I'll never forgive him...
LOL you know he'd have to make at least ONE comment about the stick axle
Old 8/12/10, 01:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
LOL you know he'd have to make at least ONE comment about the stick axle
they've had an s197 GT on it. they kinda liked it, even with it's stick axle.
Old 8/12/10, 03:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sdsguy
they've had an s197 GT on it. they kinda liked it, even with it's stick axle.
Didn't they also have the GT500 on the show and make a big deal about how it didn't make 500hp on a dyno? But if I remember correctly, they were expecting it to make 500hp at the wheels?????

I imagine the 5.0 will be on the new american version of Top Gear very soon. Should be good to see it reviewed from a bit more of a "neutral" position.

Anyway, back to the topic...

I'd like to see the Mustang go around the ring, just because it was never even thought of a few years ago. Shows how much the Mustang has become a competitive sports car rather than just a cheap muscle car.
Old 8/12/10, 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Clino
Shows how much the Mustang has become a competitive sports car rather than just a cheap muscle car.
Muscle Car - Midsize car with a large V-8 from the Fullsize.

Sports Car - Open Top 2-Seater.

GT Car - Closed Top 2-Seater.

A Mustang is a Pony Car.

Last edited by Gene K; 8/12/10 at 08:39 AM.
Old 8/12/10, 09:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gene K
Muscle Car - Midsize car with a large V-8 from the Fullsize.

Sports Car - Open Top 2-Seater.

GT Car - Closed Top 2-Seater.

A Mustang is a Pony Car.
Thanks Gene, as if the topic at hand hasn't been harped on enough! Now you throw in the Muscle Car debacle!

Oh well, I'd still like to see the Pony at Laguna, Road Atlanta, Nurbugring, even Circuit de Monaco. I just want to see the car perform and hear what the good word on the car is.
Old 8/12/10, 12:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

just fire up forza3 race them ALL YOU WANT!!!

this topic was done months ago

Last edited by pony racer; 8/12/10 at 12:18 PM.
Old 8/12/10, 01:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think it's a good idea to take it to the Ring. Many years ago I took my '97 to Hockenheim for a shakedown and when I was done modding I could cut a corner just as well if not better than most BMW's. Push a stock '97 to hard into a curve and the back end would try to come around on you. The car felt like I was hauling water bottles, but to make a long story short I was able to fix that and it drove like a dream.