Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Random "tick" while driving (may or may not be "ignitor tick") anyone else have this?

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/13, 06:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Random "tick" while driving (may or may not be "ignitor tick") anyone else have this?

My 2011 now has 16,xxx miles on it... it has been hilariously fun and fantastic all around but I'm starting to notice a few noises that I want to figure out before the warranty is up in August!

So I'm familiar with the famous "ignitor tick" and my car definitely has this. When the motor is fully warmed up, you can hear a random/semi frequent "clack", much more apparent with the hood open. I understand that this is likely related to a tensioner on the AC belt... or something like that...but it's common and I'm not too worried about it.

The one that's really annoying me is a sound that's similar but seems that it must be louder (and therefor from a different origin???) because I hear it while driving. It's also a "tick" sound, usually happens when I'm getting rolling from a stop or accelerating after downshifting to 2nd...but it's not something I can cause to happen at will.

It's also possible that I only notice it at slower speeds because there is less wind/road noise.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this?

Thanks for any input or suggestions!!!
-Mike
Old 6/12/13, 07:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take it in for service...the tick you're referring to with the tensioner is not entirely benign.
Old 6/12/13, 08:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Take it in for service...the tick you're referring to with the tensioner is not entirely benign.
Thanks, Brandon302!
So I should be worried about this? Hmm... I'll make an appointment today.
Old 6/12/13, 09:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I wouldn't say worried, however if it doesn't seem right I would suggest going to the dealer to have them inspect it instead of trying to diagnose it online. And on a side note, I think the tick you are referring to in the title is the injectors.

Last edited by Brandon302; 6/12/13 at 09:08 AM.
Old 6/12/13, 10:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I had a tick and it ended up being the water pump - covered under warranty thankfully. Take it in!
Old 6/12/13, 01:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks, guys. Will do..and I'll share the results.
Old 6/13/13, 08:01 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
My 2011 now has 16,xxx miles on it... it has been hilariously fun and fantastic all around but I'm starting to notice a few noises that I want to figure out before the warranty is up in August!

So I'm familiar with the famous "ignitor tick" and my car definitely has this. When the motor is fully warmed up, you can hear a random/semi frequent "clack", much more apparent with the hood open. I understand that this is likely related to a tensioner on the AC belt... or something like that...but it's common and I'm not too worried about it.

The one that's really annoying me is a sound that's similar but seems that it must be louder (and therefor from a different origin???) because I hear it while driving. It's also a "tick" sound, usually happens when I'm getting rolling from a stop or accelerating after downshifting to 2nd...but it's not something I can cause to happen at will.

It's also possible that I only notice it at slower speeds because there is less wind/road noise.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this?

Thanks for any input or suggestions!!!
-Mike
Hi MRGTX,

I recommend you bring it in to your Ford dealer as soon as possible and have it looked at. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 6/27/13, 09:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi MRGTX,

I recommend you bring it in to your Ford dealer as soon as possible and have it looked at. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Thanks.

The service department at Sarat Ford in Agawam, MA is always great...I made an appointment, brought it in and my Mustang promptly stopped making the noise!

Typical, right?

They took the car for a ride (yeah, I trust them) and heard nothing...but at least it's on record, right?

Driving the car later in the evening, the clacking was back to full volume (of course) and I suspect the car was just not hot enough when I brought it to the dealership.

So no answers at this time. I was reminded that my powertrain warranty is 5/60,000....but this doesn't help if it's related to the AC compressor/tensioner or some other non drivetrain component, right?
Old 6/27/13, 10:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

So no answers at this time. I was reminded that my powertrain warranty is 5/60,000....but this doesn't help if it's related to the AC compressor/tensioner or some other non drivetrain component, right?
How would your warranty not help, the water pump issue should be covered. There must be a way to have them check to see if the TSB needs to be applied with the noise, must be other symptoms.
Old 6/27/13, 10:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

How would your warranty not help, the water pump issue should be covered. There must be a way to have them check to see if the TSB needs to be applied with the noise, must be other symptoms.
The warranty might not help if it's related to the AC system since that's covered under the bumper to bumper warranty which is 3/36,000. Several forum members with 2011/12 cars have already had to pay for $2000 AC compressors that failed shortly after 36,000 miles. But yes, I assume that a water pump would be covered under the powertrain warranty.

Good point about the TSBs. I mentioned the TBSs and the tech looked them up... found two that might be relevant but said that they needed to hear the noise first hand before following up on them... which is reasonable, of course.

To my dealership's credit, at no point did they imply that I might be a hypochondriac about these noises.

Last edited by MRGTX; 6/27/13 at 10:49 AM.
Old 6/27/13, 10:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

To my dealership's credit, at no point did they imply that I might be a hypochondriac about these noises.
That is always good, seems a little silly though that they wouldn't just check since it would proactively stop damage to the motor.
Old 6/27/13, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I am sure this has been covered before on other threads... But does anyone know the cause of the loud Clack noise present when letting the clutch out?... I know it is a normal noise with the vehicle. Just curious what it is?
Old 6/27/13, 11:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
I am sure this has been covered before on other threads... But does anyone know the cause of the loud Clack noise present when letting the clutch out?... I know it is a normal noise with the vehicle. Just curious what it is?
Have you driven other Mustangs and heard this? I'm not sure that's normal. Mine sure doesn't make any noticable noises related to the clutch actuation.
Old 6/27/13, 11:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

You mean there is a clack when letting it out/depressing the pedal, not constant though right. If so I would say that is probably normal pressure plate or throwout bearing noise.
Old 6/27/13, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

You mean there is a clack when letting it out/depressing the pedal, not constant though right. If so I would say that is probably normal pressure plate or throwout bearing noise.
Yes... Really loud sometimes when pulling into the garage! Sounds like the 5.0 wants to jump out of there! I suspected it might be oscillations of the springs in the pressure plate. Just loud... Thanks!
Old 6/27/13, 12:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yes... Really loud sometimes when pulling into the garage! Sounds like the 5.0 wants to jump out of there! I suspected it might be oscillations of the springs in the pressure plate. Just loud... Thanks!
I would get that checked out, I can hear the engagement/disengagement but nothing super loud.
Old 6/27/13, 08:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I totally did not mean to Hi Jack this thread... Sorry to MRGTX!... I think my noise is normal... However this weekend I will try to take a video and have you guys take a listen... Starting my own thread of course!... Sorry again MRGTX!
Old 7/5/13, 01:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
[QUOTE=MRGTX;6647571]Thanks.

The service department at Sarat Ford in Agawam, MA is always great...I made an appointment, brought it in and my Mustang promptly stopped making the noise!

Typical, right?

And I thought I was the only one this kinda crap happened too. Good luck, hope they find what is causing the problem soon.
Old 7/8/13, 08:28 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks.

Typical, right?

They took the car for a ride (yeah, I trust them) and heard nothing...but at least it's on record, right?
Let me get it escalated for you, MRGTX. PM me with your dealer, VIN, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

You should get it checked out by your dealer, 14Glassback. Then PM me with the info I requested above.

Deysha