Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Question regarding P0481

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/23, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question regarding P0481

Hello!

Purchased my 2014 Mustang GT in March of 2023 (with only 29k miles) and it’s been an excellent car. However, I’ve run into an issue with a P0481 (Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit) code. CEL is not illuminated but if I clear the code and scan again, it comes back. I can hear the cooling fan kick on (low speed I’m assuming) when the A/C is on but I’ve never heard the high speed fan kick on. I swapped relays between fan 1 circuit and fan 2 circuit but didn’t change anything. Replaced the resistor as well (looked fine and not melted).

the main reason I found this was the a/c had cut out and was blowing warm air. It seems to work fine while cruising but at idle it didn’t seem to work. Car doesn’t seem to be overheating but want to make sure nothing catastrophic happens.

thanks for any advice you’re able to provide.
Old 5/22/23, 09:21 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
I am Providing as Much of the Shop Manual Info as Possible. It is Designed To be Interactive So Not all Links Will Work in PDF Form. There Were No TSB'S Listed For Trouble Code P0481

Hope it's Helpful!

P0481 - Fan 2 Control Circuit

Description: This DTC sets when the HFC output is commanded on (grounded) and excessive current draw is detected on the HFC circuit; or when the HFC circuit is commanded off and voltage is not detected on the HFC circuit (the PCM expects to detect VPWR voltage through the high speed fan control (FC) relay coil to the HFC circuit). Possible Causes:
  • HFC circuit open
  • HFC circuit short
  • VPWR circuit to the HFC relay open
  • Damaged HFC relay
Diagnostic Aids: When the high fan control fault (HFCF) PID reads YES, a concern is present. An open circuit or short to ground can only be detected when the PCM is not grounding the HFC circuit. A short to voltage can only be detected when the PCM is grounding the HFC circuit. During the key ON engine OFF (KOEO) and key ON engine running (KOER) self-test, the HFC circuit is cycled ON and OFF. Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory All
GO to Pinpoint Test KF

See Pdf For Diagnostic Process!

Might Also Check A/C Charge!

KC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2014 MustangFanRelay.pdf (432.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf
2014MustangFanWiringX.pdf (114.9 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 5/22/23 at 10:04 PM.
Old 5/23/23, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I am Providing as Much of the Shop Manual Info as Possible. It is Designed To be Interactive So Not all Links Will Work in PDF Form. There Were No TSB'S Listed For Trouble Code P0481

Hope it's Helpful!

P0481 - Fan 2 Control Circuit

Description: This DTC sets when the HFC output is commanded on (grounded) and excessive current draw is detected on the HFC circuit; or when the HFC circuit is commanded off and voltage is not detected on the HFC circuit (the PCM expects to detect VPWR voltage through the high speed fan control (FC) relay coil to the HFC circuit). Possible Causes:
  • HFC circuit open
  • HFC circuit short
  • VPWR circuit to the HFC relay open
  • Damaged HFC relay
Diagnostic Aids: When the high fan control fault (HFCF) PID reads YES, a concern is present. An open circuit or short to ground can only be detected when the PCM is not grounding the HFC circuit. A short to voltage can only be detected when the PCM is grounding the HFC circuit. During the key ON engine OFF (KOEO) and key ON engine running (KOER) self-test, the HFC circuit is cycled ON and OFF. Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory All
GO to Pinpoint Test KF

See Pdf For Diagnostic Process!

Might Also Check A/C Charge!

KC
thanks for that! I believe I have found the issue. L

Looks like a mouse or a rodent of some kind was feasting on the wiring.
Old 5/23/23, 08:16 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Seen A Lot Of That on the Newer Cars! Soy in the Wire Covering! Glad You Found it!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 5/23/23 at 08:18 AM.