Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Radiator fan not turning on.

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/14, 04:27 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator fan not turning on.

Hello,

Anyone know the possible causes for a radiator fan not turning on? My mechanic thought it was the fan resistor, so we replaced it. The fan worked for a week or two, but then stopped. The fan will spin up if power is applied directly to it. It doesn't turn on with the A/C on, nor does it turn on when the engine is well above 200 degrees.

I've read about the Constant Control Relay Module going bad. Do the 2012 GTs still use them?

I have a Roush supercharger with a VMP tune, which was installed last December. The car had been fine, even on very hot days. My car is a daily driver, so I easily have over 10,000 mi with the supercharger with no problems.

I tried reprogramming it back to stock, then back to the VMP tune. Didn't help.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
- Mike
Old 10/9/14, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you know what temp your tune is supposed to kick your fan on at? I think bama changed mine to 180 on my mach but i don't know what the newer ones run at normally. If there is a fan module it could be the culprit but it could also be the fan internally shorting out causing it to work sometimes and not other times. That being the case it could have taken out the relay the first time. Just a guess though. Hard to diagnose without actually working on the car lol
Old 10/10/14, 07:11 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LivinTheStangLife
Do you know what temp your tune is supposed to kick your fan on at? I think bama changed mine to 180 on my mach but i don't know what the newer ones run at normally. If there is a fan module it could be the culprit but it could also be the fan internally shorting out causing it to work sometimes and not other times. That being the case it could have taken out the relay the first time. Just a guess though. Hard to diagnose without actually working on the car lol
My first indication of any problem was when my car overheated over the summer. I had been thinking about doing some upgrades on the cooling system, so I decided to pull the trigger and bought the VMP triple-pass heat exchanger with a 170 degree thermostat. Justin gave me a new tune that has the fan come on 50% at 180 and 100% at 200.

I also upgraded to the Ford Racing radiator fan (same as in the '13 GT500).

Thanks for your reply,
- Mike
Old 11/16/14, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I do not know how old your post is -- but -- my 1989 Mustang had that problem. Turns out the relay in the control box had overheated and managed to get itself stuck open.

Being the car was rusted out and had 150,000+ miles on it at the time I just wired in a switch. Would manually flip it on when stuck in traffic during hot weather.

Hershey