Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

question about lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/14, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
question about lowering springs

Can someone kinda give me the run down on what these do for your car? Is it all about looks or does it really improve handling\responsivness as well?
Old 5/17/14, 07:17 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lowering the car lowers its center of gravity, the car doesn't roll in the turns as much.
Old 5/17/14, 08:05 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Lowering the car lowers its center of gravity, the car doesn't roll in the turns as much.

Unfortunately lowering a Mustang (or any vehicle) alters the suspension geometry and all things being equal (if spring rate isn't changed) will increase body roll. While never billed as such its part of the reason for increased spring rate and higher rate sway bars as well.

The primary benefit other than appearance is a lower center of gravity though.
Old 5/19/14, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On that same topic has anyone had a shop do it? How much should I expect?
Old 5/19/14, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

cant tell ya right now, but as soon as i get mine in, im going to have them installed and an alignment.. ill let you know once i get it done though.

Originally Posted by bjbsav
On that same topic has anyone had a shop do it? How much should I expect?
Old 5/19/14, 01:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by texasgtguy
cant tell ya right now, but as soon as i get mine in, im going to have them installed and an alignment.. ill let you know once i get it done though.
Thanks, I know the shop near me charges $69 an hour. I had them install my axle backs last week.
Old 5/19/14, 05:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
Unfortunately lowering a Mustang (or any vehicle) alters the suspension geometry and all things being equal (if spring rate isn't changed) will increase body roll. While never billed as such its part of the reason for increased spring rate and higher rate sway bars as well.

The primary benefit other than appearance is a lower center of gravity though.
Handling is significantly improved with stiffer springs and shock/strut upgrade. With stiffer lowering springs (nearly all are stiffer than OEM), roll is reduced.

I wrote up a review of my shocks/struts/springs/mounts over in the "suspension" forum if you want some more detailed thoughts
Old 5/19/14, 06:41 PM
Bullitt Member

hey thanks buddy!

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Handling is significantly improved with stiffer springs and shock/strut upgrade. With stiffer lowering springs (nearly all are stiffer than OEM), roll is reduced.

I wrote up a review of my shocks/struts/springs/mounts over in the "suspension" forum if you want some more detailed thoughts
Old 5/20/14, 06:16 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels

That's why I said all things being equal, if spring and roll bar rates aren't changed compared to the original rates the vehicle will experience increased roll. IIRC this is due to the way leverage is applied by the suspension on the springs. As the vehicle is dropped the geometry is altered increasing the leverage and requiring increased rate to compensate.

If say Ford had designed the ride height of the car to be adjustable without altering geometry then not as much rate would be required for increased performance.
Old 5/20/14, 08:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
That's why I said all things being equal, if spring and roll bar rates aren't changed compared to the original rates the vehicle will experience increased roll. IIRC this is due to the way leverage is applied by the suspension on the springs. As the vehicle is dropped the geometry is altered increasing the leverage and requiring increased rate to compensate.

If say Ford had designed the ride height of the car to be adjustable without altering geometry then not as much rate would be required for increased performance.
Yep, I don't disagree at all, was just pointing out that you really can't find lowering springs that are not stiffer, so while I agree with your statement, it is typically not something anyone worries about (increased roll, etc) when lowering purely because of the available components.
Old 5/20/14, 09:24 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Primarily looks, with improved handling and ride quality (subjective - depends if you think firmer is "better"...I do)

As for the installation, with my latest round of updates, I will never pay a shop to install springs ever again. We did the whole thing in my garage (front and rear) in under 2 hours with the ride tools. It was so easy, it was embarrassing. I used to pay a shop 400 bucks or more for the installation, not including alignment. It was crazy.
Old 5/20/14, 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must lower mine sooner than later...saw an OEM fresh (the way I like it) DIB Brembo car this morning on the freeway lowered just right and it looked so ungodly much better than mine...
Old 5/20/14, 02:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
I must lower mine sooner than later...saw an OEM fresh (the way I like it) DIB Brembo car this morning on the freeway lowered just right and it looked so ungodly much better than mine...
Yup. You wouldn't think in an inch or so would make that much difference, huh? After I put the 20's on mine it looked so silly I almost left it in the garage until I lowered it Monster mudder before, sports car after, just that simple!

John
Old 5/20/14, 02:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with an earlier post. I used to pay for it on other cars. Never again. Not paying someone $500 to install springs struts etc. join a local mustang club. I am sure there would be guys in the club that have the tools and can show u how to do it. Don't waste your money. Do it yourself, the satisfaction is worth the sweat.
Attached Thumbnails question about lowering springs-image-2593790721.jpg  
Old 5/20/14, 02:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Here is a video that will give you a little more insight:

They are currently 20% off ... good time to order & take advantage of the sale!

Best Regards,

TJ