2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Problems with 6R80 tranny anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/13, 06:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First, I hope all goes well for you this Wednesday. It can be frustrating and aggrivating to make payments on a car and not live up to expectations.

I own a 2011 automatic, and currently have 52K on it. I have had no issues with it, driven in both lengthy highway miles and lots of stop and go traffic in the late afternoon Florida heat.

This does not help your issue though, so I believe you simply have a unique problem that deserves attention.
Old 9/3/13, 09:34 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2012/auto has similar problems. SOMETIMES (not always) when I'm cruising and decide to accelerate quickly (floor it) the engine revs to 6500 (in neutral it seems), with no acceleration and then the tranny engages with a screech of the tires and then the car goes like hell. I've had it tuned (on a dyno) and checked by the tuner...they say all is fine. It is dangerous when you need to do some evasive action with the gas pedal and the car responds in a quirky, untrustworthy fashion. Ford is of no help...because of "an after market CAI + tune." Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 9/3/13, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In reading up some more on automatic transmission issues, I came across a writeup that someone did about the "adaptive learning shifting" that these newer transmissions have. This person mentioned the removal of fuse #47 for 10 to 20 minutes, which causes this adaptive learning feature to clear itself. It has no other effect on the ECU; it simply causes the ECU to drop the shift points of the automatic that it has learned from the drivers habits. For example, if you do lots of city stop and go for a few days, the ECU "learns" the shift points and store them for better fuel economy.
Problem is, this fuse proceedure would have to be done every week or two to have the ECU set itself back to stock, then it begins the learning process over agan.

Another poster placed an article on how to install a siple 4 or 5 pole relay to do this for you; it "opens" fuse #47 whenever the car is shut off and restarted each day.

I have the write up and pictures of the relay install. It's lengthy, but may solve some of the shifting problems those of you are experiencing.

I'd first suggest you try removing fuse #47 for anout 10 to 20 minutes, reinstall it, then go for a drive to see if your automatic transmission shifts better. Be aware that the ECU will relearn your shift points again, so stop and go traffic will require a reset again (removal of fuse #47) if the shift points get sluggish again.

If you find this solves the problem, PM me and I'll send you the file and pics of the relay install that will not require the removal/reinstall of fuse #47 every couple of weeks.

Or search Google. It's on one of these sites, maybe here already.
Old 9/3/13, 02:42 PM
V6 Member

There are a lot of factors that go into the shift performance of the 6R80 (By the way, the GT version is different from the V6 version in the number of clutch packs). One factor that really effects the perceived shifting performance is the "throttle delay" programmed into the ECU under different conditions. That will effect both up shift timing and down-shift timing. When I had a 2011 Mustang V6 vert, I ran both the Diablo Sport Performance tune and the BAMA Street tune. Both of those tunes made a very big difference in the shifting performance of the transmission. I'm always hesitant to recommend running a tune, because it can effect your warranty coverage. However, if you are unhappy enough, and don't find another solution, it may be worth a $350 try.
Old 9/3/13, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Bucko for the interesting information.

It wouldn't bother me if the learning process was done away with all together. I rather learn a car myself than have a car learn me. All this technology sometimes goes to far. I know it's done for better fuel economy but if it causes problems ..what's the use? Fuse #47 relay sounds like a great idea and might be worth a try if nothing else works.... as a last resort.
I don't need to do a tune right now with all the warranty work going on. Last thing I need now is warranty void. My stang is still in the shop right now, been there a week today. I'll just wait and see what happens when I get it back. Thanks to all for your comments and help.
Old 9/4/13, 12:50 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Spasticdog
Thanks Bucko for the interesting information.

It wouldn't bother me if the learning process was done away with all together. I rather learn a car myself than have a car learn me. All this technology sometimes goes to far.
I agree. Esp with transmission learning. Sometimes you just want to drive mellow or are stuck in traffic situations, other times you want to drive spirited. But the tranny brain is still stuck in mellow shifting.
Old 9/5/13, 07:57 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Was just wondering if anyone else was having massive problems with their 6R80 automatic tranny. I have a 2011 V6 that's been in the shop 8 times and still not shifting correctly.Ford can't seem to solve my problem and I'm growing very tired of this. Solenoids and leadframe have been replaced, many shims in differential, flashed so much it feels raped. Waits to shift to 1st at take off popping rear end, clunks at stops, stalls at times.Many more problems with car but tranny is main problem.
Hi Spasticdog,

Welcome to the forum! I’d like look into this transmission concerns. Please PM me with your VIN, mileage, dealer, full name, and best daytime number.

Originally Posted by kn7671
My 2012 GT w/6R80 was crap from the get go too.
From a dead-stop, take off was fine, but if you were in a rolling stop situation or stop-go traffic, and if it decided to shift down to first before hitting a complete stop, if would act like it wasn't in a gear momentarily without engaging, and then suddenly grabbing like you had dropped a clutch in a manual, and then jerk.

Additionally, the transmission had a growl/hum at idle in gear almost from new. Ford tried replacing the pump and converter to fix the growl/hum at idle to no avail, but after reading about other people having no luck fixing the gear engagement and shifting issue, I decided to trade her in for a 2014, which by the way is not without it's problems either, though is better than my 2012 ever was.
kn7671, let me get this escalated for you. PM me with your info as well.

Deysha
Old 9/5/13, 07:48 PM

Thanks Deysha for offering your help but it's too little too late! Already filed lemon law buy back! Got car back today after 10 days in shop. Dealer has tried numerous times to fix but no go.Service manager told me and wife to just drive on highways and try to avoid stop and go traffic on side streets and blame my driving habits.That's all he's got! It's time for ford to step up and buy back my car!
I know you have helped lots of stang owners here and everyone is grateful but ford has not helped me one bit on solving my problems and they just need to take my problem back.Thanks again for trying to help
Old 9/6/13, 06:57 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks Deysha for offering your help but it's too little too late! Already filed lemon law buy back! Got car back today after 10 days in shop. Dealer has tried numerous times to fix but no go.Service manager told me and wife to just drive on highways and try to avoid stop and go traffic on side streets and blame my driving habits.That's all he's got! It's time for ford to step up and buy back my car!
I know you have helped lots of stang owners here and everyone is grateful but ford has not helped me one bit on solving my problems and they just need to take my problem back.Thanks again for trying to help
No problem, Spasticdog. I’m sure everything will get resolved for you.

Deysha
Old 9/6/13, 04:28 PM

Talked to dealership today.Still no fix in sight!

Got a little heated today! Service manager was trying to say the transmission problems was because of abuse in his own little way. Listen, this is a daily driven car by me and my wife. We take care of our vehicles and NO abuse has happened.They just can't fix it and looking for excuses or might be because..well maybe we filed lemon law? That sounds like something ford would do.
This dealership has been very rude to us and ford customer service has been a joke! I just want my buy back so I can get this piece of junk lemon car out of my driveway! I will never buy another ford again! I love the stangs but dealing with ford again is not worth it to me! Congrats ford, you just drove away another customer!
Old 9/6/13, 08:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Do us a favor and get rid of the car. The FMCO cannot make you happy at this point so do what you have too.
Old 9/7/13, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by TheReaper
Do us a favor and get rid of the car. The FMCO cannot make you happy at this point so do what you have too.
I'll get rid of the car as soon as ford buys this piece of sh** back.

There's your favor Mr. Reaper!
Old 9/7/13, 08:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

My 2011 v6 automatic is flawless. No issues! Sorry to hear OP about your issues.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 9/7/13 at 08:29 PM.
Old 9/7/13, 09:26 PM

sucks to hear about the problems. Dealer doesn't sound like much help either. What I find funny though, is that this person will now tell every person they know "Ford sucks" and will never buy one again. So in 10 years they are still saying the same thing and have no clue on changes, better CS or more reliable products. They'll own an import or whatever and praise it to no end, but will always look the other way when those cars have problems. It's a machine and you have a bad one unfortunately, most at some point will break or have issues.

I can't count how many times I hear people say "Ford sucks because my aunts brother had a 1991 Explorer that always broke down". These people try to bash Ford for something they heard about a while ago or knew somebody & have no first hand experience. Just last night I was debating with a co-worker on how my EcoBoost F150 will work his Chebby all over the map. His retort was, "Ford always over-rates their engines. Look at the Mustang Cobra class action lawsuit". So, in 1999 Ford F'd up and didn't make the advertised power... but this is what Ford does all the time apparently. My point is, that this person will continue the lame cycle of "Ford sucks" and it's pretty sad.
Old 9/7/13, 10:55 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Hydro1
My point is, that this person will continue the lame cycle of "Ford sucks" and it's pretty sad.
That happens with every brand over every product. Sometimes there are flaws with a random product and sometimes the company/salesperson/service mgr fails in customer service. That's life in an imperfect world.

Do you know how many bad stories there are about GM & Chrylser and Toy and Honda and VW and..... ??? Hell my '68 Olds/GM blew at 80k and left me stranded on the road with hydro-lock.

But for individuals to blame a fluke product - or sometimes even an idiot owner - and then make an entire brand decision over that third party rhetoric, only proves their own ignorance.

Yes the company should step up. But ALL companies fail one time or another... that does NOT make the brand bad. Certainly not forever.

And come on, this IS the internet... there is no proof that the OP isn't an idiot driver. Judging by his 14 posts, he only came to TMS to whine (on more than one thread). And you believe him without any skepticism?? Hell he probably drives a Camaro with broken half-shafts and front rotor stick-on wheel weights. Does he use the same name on Camaro5?

In contrast, how many thousands of people tell stories like mine about Ford's success?

I have driven the **** out of 7 Ford vans/trucks/bobtails as a coffee route sales rep over 10 yrs (in a split career: 1981-85, 93-99) for over 380 THOUSAND trouble free miles - I have never been stranded and have driven in all 4 seasons with a 5k pass in every direction, with the truck loaded to the gills and the pedal to the metal.

Then I have 254k on my 83 F150 4x that was FLAWLESS from day one off the lot. (Finally had to replace an engine at 218k due to a broken ring - NO complaints here about that and it never left me stranded.... just used a lot of oil for a few weeks till I got a new remanufactured engine dropped in. Still pullin great here at the ranch! )

My 08 Bullitt is at 22k and has been absolutely FLAWLESS from the factory.

That's over 650 THOUSAND miles that I can personally attest to and I have never been stranded by a Ford product.

Tell that moron who's whining about Ford to put that in his stoner pipe and smoke it.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/7/13 at 11:11 PM.
Old 9/8/13, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
That happens with every brand over every product. Sometimes there are flaws with a random product and sometimes the company/salesperson/service mgr fails in customer service. That's life in an imperfect world.

Do you know how many bad stories there are about GM & Chrylser and Toy and Honda and VW and..... ??? Hell my '68 Olds/GM blew at 80k and left me stranded on the road with hydro-lock.

But for individuals to blame a fluke product - or sometimes even an idiot owner - and then make an entire brand decision over that third party rhetoric, only proves their own ignorance.

Yes the company should step up. But ALL companies fail one time or another... that does NOT make the brand bad. Certainly not forever.

And come on, this IS the internet... there is no proof that the OP isn't an idiot driver. Judging by his 14 posts, he only came to TMS to whine (on more than one thread). And you believe him without any skepticism?? Hell he probably drives a Camaro with broken half-shafts and front rotor stick-on wheel weights. Does he use the same name on Camaro5?

In contrast, how many thousands of people tell stories like mine about Ford's success?

I have driven the **** out of 7 Ford vans/trucks/bobtails as a coffee route sales rep over 10 yrs (in a split career: 1981-85, 93-99) for over 380 THOUSAND trouble free miles - I have never been stranded and have driven in all 4 seasons with a 5k pass in every direction, with the truck loaded to the gills and the pedal to the metal.

Then I have 254k on my 83 F150 4x that was FLAWLESS from day one off the lot. (Finally had to replace an engine at 218k due to a broken ring - NO complaints here about that and it never left me stranded.... just used a lot of oil for a few weeks till I got a new remanufactured engine dropped in. Still pullin great here at the ranch! )

My 08 Bullitt is at 22k and has been absolutely FLAWLESS from the factory.

That's over 650 THOUSAND miles that I can personally attest to and I have never been stranded by a Ford product.

Tell that moron who's whining about Ford to put that in his stoner pipe and smoke it.
Charliehorse I got something you can put in your pipe and smoke it! Screw you and the horse you rode in on!Who the hell are you to judge me you freaking idiot! If you was to drive this car you would say ..what a piece of sh##! I post on this site to try get some justice with ford and get my car repaired like it should be! Try to find out if others are having similar problems so don't start making accusations about me because you don't know sh**! Then someone like you who thinks he's a freaking cowboy comes alone making false statements about me! I've never owned a sorry a$$ camaro and never will and sure as hell not a FORD after this BS! So put on your gay leather chaps, jump on your humpback three legged horse & limp off into the sunset!
Old 9/8/13, 08:58 AM
Cobra Member

^this lmao. Pay no mind to those who make comments like that. I think most of us can sympathize with your trouble after you get a car you love and it turns out to have problems that don't seem to get fixed. I joined this site to learn from other mustang enthusiasts, share experiences and help each other out but that doesn't always happen!
Old 9/8/13, 09:12 AM
Post *****

Old 9/8/13, 09:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Charliehorse I got something you can put in your pipe and smoke it! Screw you and the horse you rode in on!Who the hell are you to judge me you freaking idiot! If you was to drive this car you would say ..what a piece of sh##! I post on this site to try get some justice with ford and get my car repaired like it should be! Try to find out if others are having similar problems so don't start making accusations about me because you don't know sh**! Then someone like you who thinks he's a freaking cowboy comes alone making false statements about me! I've never owned a sorry a$$ camaro and never will and sure as hell not a FORD after this BS! So put on your gay leather chaps, jump on your humpback three legged horse & limp off into the sunset!
No one knows how any of us drive our cars however when a part fails it not always the fault of owner and their driving habits. Clearly the OP is upset with an issue that Ford mechanics are not able to fix. I presume none of us on TMS personally know the OP therefore respectfully we should take his word at face value his driving habits are not the cause of his broken transmission.

Clearly the OP was just expressing his experience and transmission issue he was having with his mustang. From being on these mustang sites for almost two years I can't say I have heard of any automatic transmission issues on the 11 plus mustangs. The MT82 transmissions, heard issues with them but this is the first for the automatic transmissions. I'm sure that if one million automatic transmissions are perfect and bullet proof but one is broken, if your the one broken out of a million, your not happy.

Unfortunately , this experience for the OP dealing with Ford has left a bad experience especially since after 8 plus attempts the car is not working properly. Is this rare the issue the OP is having with their transmission, most likely. Does Ford make great quality vehicles, heck yeah.

As far as GM and Chrysler quality, there is a reason why they fall low year after year after year. There quality is below average and I personally would never buy a GM or Chrysler product. That comes from my personally knowledge and first hand experiences with GM and Chrysler vehicles.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 9/8/13 at 09:45 AM.
Old 9/8/13, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
^this lmao. Pay no mind to those who make comments like that. I think most of us can sympathize with your trouble after you get a car you love and it turns out to have problems that don't seem to get fixed. I joined this site to learn from other mustang enthusiasts, share experiences and help each other out but that doesn't always happen!
Thank You! By no means am I here to whine, put down anyone or trash talk ford products! I just thought expressing my problems might in some way help with my issue with ford. That is what forums are for..to solve problems and share, Right?.Yes, I am upset but who wouldn't be after 2 years of this crap and still making payments, especially to get some a##hole accusing me of lying..you know who you are! You know,if ford would of just replaced my tranny long ago all of this would not be happening and I would be a happy stang owner but they keep putting band aids on it and not getting any better. Now that I have filed lemon law buy back, the dealership is saying abuse on tranny! They said the brake & gas petals was pushed simultaneously 97 times within 3 weeks on computer read out! I asked them for a print out with dates and times for proof but don't have it. They say this is causing my problems! TOTAL BS! I know some are saying 2 foot driver but NO I drive with one foot only and so does wife and NO abuse on car what so ever.Who to say dealership is lying or even done it themselves cause they had it for 10 days prior. The service manager is an total ####head anyway so it wouldn't surprise me one bit! They can't fix it and ford will not replace tranny so here I am..stuck between rock and hard place. Yes, I could trade it but as soon as it's test driven by dealer and tranny starts jurking and poping rear end I wouldn't get squat out of it. I do not want to take a loss because ford will not fix my car and anyone else wouldn't either. Yea, I have a dud, I know all trannys are not like this but mine is.It's ford responsibility to fix it under warranty and they're not! Thanks for everyone posting support. It means a lot to see that!

I use to work for Tower automotive for 13 years before they shut down here. I made parts for Ford,GM,Chrysler, Toyota & Nissan. That's the deal...all parts are made by the lowest bidder in the same plant & all steel came from same place.Only difference is design and engineering. I will have to say that Ford had the highest quality control out of all, Chrysler being lowest at the time. I seen Chrysler parts go out the door I wouldn't even use as a boat anchor! Seen parts out of spec but was told to sent out anyway on all. All parts are not made equal even run back to back, so I can see how some parts get out the door onto cars and cause problems. That's why all cars have a warranty. The problem with me is that ford will not honor the warranty on my car.If it's not right fix it. Easy as that but sometimes it doesn't work that way.

Last edited by Spasticdog; 9/9/13 at 04:50 PM. Reason: add to

Quick Reply: Problems with 6R80 tranny anyone?