2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Problems with 6R80 tranny anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/13, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Problems with 6R80 tranny anyone?

Was just wondering if anyone else was having massive problems with their 6R80 automatic tranny. I have a 2011 V6 that's been in the shop 8 times and still not shifting correctly.Ford can't seem to solve my problem and I'm growing very tired of this. Solenoids and leadframe have been replaced, many shims in differential, flashed so much it feels raped. Waits to shift to 1st at take off popping rear end, clunks at stops, stalls at times.Many more problems with car but tranny is main problem. Not very fun to drive at all. Anyone else have this problem? About ready to file lemon law. ford reps have even been on my case but still no go. I'm just wondering if it can be fixed? Thanx for your feedback, Spasticdog
The following users liked this post:
GrabberBlueGuy (9/23/21)
Old 9/1/13, 01:44 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the transmission doing. I have a 2011 V6 and I will readily admit its got some odd shift points.
Old 9/1/13, 02:10 PM

It clunks rear end about every time from take off. Sometimes does not shift to 1st when stopped, it waits till I take off then shifts to 1st, popping rear end. Randomly tries to stall on take off, mash gas barely go, tries to go dead, mash harder then takes off like a bat out of hell.Reverse clunks when put in gear. Very odd harsh shifting throughout all gears with odd noises. I think the tranny has done it so much my differential has gotten sloppy that's why it clunks every time from take off. This can't be good for the tranny or rear end. At first service manager said it all was normal, long way from it! Finally they replaced solenoids and lead frame, even shimmed differential. I thought finally it was fixed but no, same problems. I'm just tired of trying to get fixed and still making payments on this junk. Ford is not helping at all. Customer service is really bad! I just don't see buying another ford after all this.
Old 9/1/13, 02:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Have you contacted a Ford factory rep ?

My 6r80 has 20k of hard earned miles with no issues.
Old 9/1/13, 03:33 PM

Yes, talk to 5 different reps in the last 2 years, none has helped with problems.Car has only 27,000 mi. Has been like this since I purchased it. Just feed up with it.I love the car but not liking FORD at all right now! I'm way passed lemon law status in TN. Ford dosn't seem to care or want to help so I have no choice.
Old 9/1/13, 05:16 PM
Cobra Member

Have they tried to replace the entire tranny?
Old 9/1/13, 05:35 PM

I've asked for replacement tranny but ford says NO. I give up! It's in the shop now as I speak.Asked for arbitration with ford for buy back. Have appointment with lawyer Wed. He said I have an excellent case for buy back and he should get things resolved if ford doesn't help through arbitration.There is no way I would want a new mustang after the way ford has treated me so buy back it is! From what I've read a lot of the 6r80's are having the same problems and some are not.I think it's just an engineering flaw, these are made in China....can't nothing go wrong there! Shame on you Ford for not stepping up and taking responsibility for these problems.You have just lost a customer.
Old 9/1/13, 07:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

The automatics are not made in China. I think it's Canada.
Old 9/1/13, 07:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The 6R80 is made in the USA. It was designed by ZF of Germany.
Old 9/1/13, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Not an automatic owner... But have been on this Forum for awhile and do not recall many complaints at all about them. Maybe I was not paying attention but think there have been far fewer issues with the auto than the manual. Hope it gets resolved for you!
Old 9/1/13, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the correction. I thought since the manual was made in China the auto was but it doesn't matter where it's made,that's beside the point...I could care less...that's the least of my worries, it's still a piece of crap cheaply made transmission either way! It might as well be made in China..can't get any worst! From what all I've read lately ford is not having a very good record on trannys lately & I'm one of the lucky ones of many to have a lemon. Ford has had 8 shots to make it right! All they do is make excuses like it's normal or my driving habits.It doesn't take a rocket scientist to drive an auto tranny! If it's normal then why did they replace parts in the tranny to try to repair it many times? Two years of this crap is enough! Don't get me wrong...I'm not bashing the mustang, I love the car. It's how ford is handling my situation & not getting fixed is what's pissing me off!
Old 9/1/13, 09:17 PM
Cobra Member

The 6r80 is bulletproof and holds well over 600rwhp in stock form. You got a dud bro.
Old 9/2/13, 04:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

My 2012 GT w/6R80 was crap from the get go too.

From a dead-stop, take off was fine, but if you were in a rolling stop situation or stop-go traffic, and if it decided to shift down to first before hitting a complete stop, if would act like it wasn't in a gear momentarily without engaging, and then suddenly grabbing like you had dropped a clutch in a manual, and then jerk.

Additionally, the transmission had a growl/hum at idle in gear almost from new. Ford tried replacing the pump and converter to fix the growl/hum at idle to no avail, but after reading about other people having no luck fixing the gear engagement and shifting issue, I decided to trade her in for a 2014, which by the way is not without it's problems either, though is better than my 2012 ever was.

Ford should really replace the entire transmission in your car. With the amount of labor time and parts spent, they could have dropped a new transmission in there and called it done. Instead, they now have a customer that doesn't want a Ford, which is unfortunate.

Ford has been encountering lots of transmission issues and they are working hard to cover it up instead of addressing the quality issues. I think I will be waiting several years before pulling the trigger on another Ford to see if they get their act together and solve this issue.

Last edited by kn7671; 9/2/13 at 04:26 AM.
Old 9/2/13, 07:34 AM

Thank you kn7671 for your info. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I want other people to speak out about this tranny. To member "2012GT"....the 6r80 is bulletproof ....LOL...mine got hit with a bullet! Right now,I wouldn't trust my tranny to pull a boloney wrapper out of a dogs a$$!
If anyone else is having problems with this tranny please speak up. Would like to know your story. Again Ford needs to step up and do what's right! But doesn't look like it! Thanks to all
Old 9/2/13, 11:29 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Not an automatic owner... But have been on this Forum for awhile and do not recall many complaints at all about them. Maybe I was not paying attention but think there have been far fewer issues with the auto than the manual. Hope it gets resolved for you!
Old 9/2/13, 01:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Spasticdog
Thank you kn7671 for your info. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I want other people to speak out about this tranny. To member "2012GT"....the 6r80 is bulletproof ....LOL...mine got hit with a bullet! Right now,I wouldn't trust my tranny to pull a boloney wrapper out of a dogs a$$!
If anyone else is having problems with this tranny please speak up. Would like to know your story. Again Ford needs to step up and do what's right! But doesn't look like it! Thanks to all
Lol sorry to hear man. That poor dog.... Good luck bro
Old 9/2/13, 06:31 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My '11 GT was a manual (MT-82) and that transmission was so bad it prompted me to trade it in for my '14 GT with an automatic (6R80). I've been on plenty of forums over the years and I work at a Ford dealership, so I did a ton of research on the manual vs auto for our '11+ GT's and have found a lot of people having problems with the manual and very few people having problems with the automatic.

I'm sorry to hear any horror stories for the 6R80, but those are very rare, isolated issues, and not representative of 6R80's in general. The vast majority of 6R80's are bulletproof.
Old 9/2/13, 07:02 PM

Rare or not that's not the issue, they might be bulletproof but not mine.

Ford will not fix my problems...that's the issue with me! Ford could of have replaced my tranny and be money ahead right now but NO...has to drag it out for 2 years and loose a customer in the process! Not very smart business practices on ford's part.
I'm sure lots of people look down on me for bashing this tranny on this forum but if you was in my shoes you would be doing the same with all the BS I've been through with ford! Not very happy at the moment, just out done with ford! I'm glad people love this tranny and have no problems, I just wish mine was the same. too little too late now.....! I'm driving a loaner as i speak because stang is in the shop with no fix in sight. Even if it was magically fixed I wouldn't trust it with all the problems it's had. Not safe to drive with trying to stall and radical gear changes....Peace

Last edited by Spasticdog; 9/2/13 at 07:35 PM.
Old 9/2/13, 11:00 PM

Sorry to hear about the issues with your auto! My 2011 GT auto has been worry free compared to your issues, although I have only owned it since Feburary. My only complaint is what KN7671 stated..."From a dead-stop, take off was fine, but if you were in a rolling stop situation or stop-go traffic, and if it decided to shift down to first before hitting a complete stop, if would act like it wasn't in a gear momentarily without engaging, and then suddenly grabbing like you had dropped a clutch in a manual, and then jerk." although I don't think mine is as severe as theirs. I really do hope you get your problem resolved!
Old 9/3/13, 05:25 AM

Thanks for the reply Chris,

Hope you don't have the problems I've had and currently have but what you're describing is the way mine started and eventually became more severe.Don't accept it as normal cause it's not by a long shot.

Quick Reply: Problems with 6R80 tranny anyone?