Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Power or suspension first

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/13, 11:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tj@steeda
You can take your Mustang to this level ... will be a nigh and day difference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=a_snajrgC0g

Let me know if I can help assist with anything moving further? You can reach me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
I know I am always picking on you guys, but on a serious non-biased note, the video states .98g's prior and 1.07 after which is a ".9" increase. Shouldn't that be a .09g increase?
Old 9/19/13, 02:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tj@steeda
You can take your Mustang to this level ... will be a nigh and day difference!

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a_snajrgC0g

Let me know if I can help assist with anything moving further? You can reach me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Enjoyed the video.
Old 9/19/13, 04:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with everyone else that likely your best upgrades are going to be suspension and tire related. Help get more of the horses to the ground. Having said that I read many threads about upgrades on the forum I do not understand. People take a Brembo car that they have already paid additional for with upgraded wheels, tires and suspension... Then they swap out wheels, tires and suspension. I understand that there are better parts out there... But do not understand why starting with a Base GT to add these upgrades to is not financially smarter? Am I missing something?
Old 9/19/13, 05:46 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
I agree with everyone else that likely your best upgrades are going to be suspension and tire related. Help get more of the horses to the ground. Having said that I read many threads about upgrades on the forum I do not understand. People take a Brembo car that they have already paid additional for with upgraded wheels, tires and suspension... Then they swap out wheels, tires and suspension. I understand that there are better parts out there... But do not understand why starting with a Base GT to add these upgrades to is not financially smarter? Am I missing something?
Brembo suspension is great IMO, except for the control arms and panhard, which is all I'm replacing.

But yes, have known of quite a few people who specifically order certain packages on their car and then proceed to later replace almost all the components that make up that package, sort of silly...
Old 9/19/13, 06:17 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
In my case I have been driving the stock Brembo car for a couple of years and am considering improving the handling and power. I bought the Brembo package for the brakes and wheels which I intend to keep. I may upgrade the rear brakes at some point, but have not decided. How does the suspension on a Brembo car differ from a standard GT?
Old 9/19/13, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is a rather muddy subject since Ford never really clearly states what is different on a Brembo car. However every legitimate source I have found says wheels, tires, shocks and sway bars are upgraded. Best source I found for info was Brembo50.com
Old 9/19/13, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just double checked that website and according to it sway bars are the same on a stock GT... Again... Muddy subject...
Old 9/19/13, 07:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
That is fuzzy math ...
I know I am always picking on you guys, but on a serious non-biased note, the video states .98g's prior and 1.07 after which is a ".9" increase. Shouldn't that be a .09g increase?
Yes, but we just supplied the parts for the video and the magazine did the write up. I am surprised after showing that video many times ... you were the first to notice. My hat goes off to you for your attention to detail.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 9/19/13, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
Suspension before power. These cars put down more power than the stock suspension can get to the ground. If you haven't done wider wheels and tires yet I would consider that as well. Good luck!

Old 9/19/13, 07:47 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

This is a rather muddy subject since Ford never really clearly states what is different on a Brembo car. However every legitimate source I have found says wheels, tires, shocks and sway bars are upgraded. Best source I found for info was Brembo50.com
Thanks for the info. I looked at the Brembo5.0 website and was surprised at the differences between the Brembo package and a standard GT. I thought it was just the front brakes, wheels, tires and some programming changes in the traction control. I had no idea that it also included different springs, shocks and control arms. This gives me more to think about before purchasing suspension components.
Old 9/19/13, 09:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
Mods are primarily for street use. I live in East Tennesse and there are plenty of mountain roads. I have no interest in the drag strip, but would like to participate in track days or one of the driving schools on a road course.
Yes you do have amazing roads - my parents live in Vonore, about 15 mins from the start of the Dragon, Cherolah Skyway, etc. Amazing part of the country!
Old 9/20/13, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CiniZter
sorry to take this off topic.. forgive my ignorance too...definitely would not spend 1500 on that for the looks.

Have you ever considered simply painting the rear calipers the same red as the front? It would give you the appearance of having the same calipers front and rear, and would only cost a few bucks.
Old 9/20/13, 03:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Brembo suspension is great IMO, except for the control arms and panhard, which is all I'm replacing.

But yes, have known of quite a few people who specifically order certain packages on their car and then proceed to later replace almost all the components that make up that package, sort of silly...
Agreed, I see many Boss owners upgrading their cars also.

Originally Posted by EF1
Thanks for the info. I looked at the Brembo5.0 website and was surprised at the differences between the Brembo package and a standard GT. I thought it was just the front brakes, wheels, tires and some programming changes in the traction control. I had no idea that it also included different springs, shocks and control arms. This gives me more to think about before purchasing suspension components.
My previous car was an F-body with an autocross suspension. I'm beyond the point where I need a teeth rattling stiff suspension so when I drove my Brembo GT for the first time I was pleasantly surprised how well it handled. That being said I do feel that there are a couple areas that could use some improvement. Number one is quality Dampers, "never underestimate what a set of quality performance shocks/struts can do for any car". After that a Watt's link and upper and lower control arms will keep the car composed and controlled for handling and trips to the drags.

Last edited by Black Fire; 9/20/13 at 03:18 PM.
Old 9/20/13, 03:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang
Have you ever considered simply painting the rear calipers the same red as the front? It would give you the appearance of having the same calipers front and rear, and would only cost a few bucks.
I did that... But it makes it so much pop out making it more relevant of it being smaller.
Old 9/20/13, 07:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Black Fire
It would only make sense to once you hit the limits of your current setup.
Old 9/21/13, 07:12 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Moustang
The front and rear calipers were painted the same color from the factory, which on my car was a flat black. The front have red BREMBO lettering. The rear rotors just look too small for the 19 inch wheels. It is strictly a cosmetic thing as the car stops amazingly well in stock form.
Old 9/21/13, 07:39 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

My previous car was an F-body with an autocross suspension. I'm beyond the point where I need a teeth rattling stiff suspension so when I drove my Brembo GT for the first time I was pleasantly surprised how well it handled. That being said I do feel that there are a couple areas that could use some improvement. Number one is quality Dampers, "never underestimate what a set of quality performance shocks/struts can do for any car". After that a Watt's link and upper and lower control arms will keep the car composed and controlled for handling and trips to the drags.
I was looking at upgrading the shocks/struts first, but not sure if I should go ahead and upgrade the springs as well, since I will already have the fronts out of the car. I would like to go to an adjustable shock/strut set up to let me tailor the ride depending on the particular day. What dampers did you put on your car?
Old 9/21/13, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
I was looking at upgrading the shocks/struts first, but not sure if I should go ahead and upgrade the springs as well, since I will already have the fronts out of the car. I would like to go to an adjustable shock/strut set up to let me tailor the ride depending on the particular day. What dampers did you put on your car?
The Mustang is still on factory shocks/struts but when I do upgrade I am going Koni sports (yellows). I had these on the F-body and they really make a difference in all situations.
If your set on doing springs then do shocks springs together since it all has to come apart to do (front) springs.
Old 9/21/13, 08:18 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

The Mustang is still on factory shocks/struts but when I do upgrade I am going Koni sports (yellows). I had these on the F-body and they really make a difference in all situations.
If your set on doing springs then do shocks springs together since it all has to come apart to do (front) springs.
I am not set on springs yet, I just don't want to do the shocks and then tear the car apart again if I decide I need the springs. I would like to minimize the nose dive on hard breaking and reduce the body roll a little more. I drive the car most of the time and do not want the car too stiff to where it is uncomfortable.
Old 9/21/13, 08:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by EF1
I am not set on springs yet, I just don't want to do the shocks and then tear the car apart again if I decide I need the springs. I would like to minimize the nose dive on hard breaking and reduce the body roll a little more. I drive the car most of the time and do not want the car too stiff to where it is uncomfortable.
All depends on what you would call uncomfortable. I have P springs on the stock Boss shocks, and they seem underdampened which gets a little uncomfortable. I also drive an 86 mustang with will suspension, rod ends on everything in the rear, Koni Sports and H&R springs, and it sounds like it would be uncomfortable, but I prefer the ride since the car is stiff and yet no bump is shocking because the shocks and springs work together. My car on the other hand is awful over big bumps and bouncy over certain parts of the highway.

Quick Reply: Power or suspension first