Sponsored By:

Power or suspension first

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/13, 08:23 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Question Power or suspension first

I am new to the forum and looking for a little advice on what to upgrade first. I have a 2011 GT that I bought new that is completely stock with the 401a package, brembos and 3.55 gear set. After driving it for a couple of years I am looking at upgrading the suspension/handling as well as adding some engine upgrades. I am looking for some help on which to do first and why. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 9/18/13, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suspension before power. These cars put down more power than the stock suspension can get to the ground. If you haven't done wider wheels and tires yet I would consider that as well. Good luck!
Old 9/18/13, 08:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
I am new to the forum and looking for a little advice on what to upgrade first. I have a 2011 GT that I bought new that is completely stock with the 401a package, brembos and 3.55 gear set. After driving it for a couple of years I am looking at upgrading the suspension/handling as well as adding some engine upgrades. I am looking for some help on which to do first and why. Any help will be appreciated.
Suspension and brakes. Then speed IMO.
Old 9/18/13, 08:49 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

I have the Brembo upgrade on the car from the factory, I have looked and can't find matching Brembo's for the rear. What type of brake upgrade would you recommend?
Old 9/18/13, 08:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
When you drive it, what bothers you? When I prioritize my mods, I ask myself this question. For me, it was brake dive and bouncing on uneven roads. This lead me to do suspension first. I won't add anymore power till the factory warranty wears out. As my car sits today, I'm very happy with it. All I have done is suspension and some very minor interior mods.

I think you have to ask yourself what is the worst thing about your car.
Old 9/18/13, 08:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
I have the Brembo upgrade on the car from the factory, I have looked and can't find matching Brembo's for the rear. What type of brake upgrade would you recommend?
Well if you already have the Brembo upgrade you should be set. I would think.
Old 9/18/13, 09:05 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

I was waiting for the warranty to get closer to expiring before doing anything to the car as well. That is why I haven't touched it yet and I have had it about 2 1/2 years. I am starting to plan my mods and want to take the time to plan out since I can't do them all at once. I was leaning toward the suspension upgrades first, since I do not like the brake dive. I was thinking about springs and shocks/struts to begin with. I am not sure about the sway bars or control arms.
Old 9/19/13, 05:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
Stick with the stock Brembo's, if you get anything larger in the front then you will most likely have to upgrade the rear as well, then you will most likely overpower the tires, vicious cycle. Upgrade the pads though, HPS or HP+ (if you can deal with squeal) would be my recommendation for the street. Stickier tires will also help you stop better.
Old 9/19/13, 06:51 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
brembo package comes with regular rear brakes. is there something i can do to update this to match the front brembo brakes.
rear
Name:  2sxowrO.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  95.1 KB
front
Name:  I7DjOE3.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  62.8 KB
Old 9/19/13, 08:08 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

I have looked for a rear Brembo upgrade to match the front as well and it doesn't appear to exist. I think it has something to do with the Brembo calipers not being compatible with the parking brake, but I am not sure. The only rear brake upgrade that I have been able to find is from Steeda. It has bigger rotors (still smaller than the fronts), but uses the stock calipers with an adapter bracket to relocate it for the larger rotors.
Old 9/19/13, 08:17 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

^ thanks... it doesnt look right to me... would have been happier if i had brembos all around... when i have enough funds planning to change them out for wilwood all sides.
Old 9/19/13, 08:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

To have Brembo's all around, if you mean 4 pot calipers on the back, you would need to convert to a full floater rear which would be too expensive just to look good. Not to mention even if you did do it you would over power the rear when braking.

Last edited by Brandon302; 9/19/13 at 08:28 AM.
Old 9/19/13, 08:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

^ just out of curiosity.. how much would that cost.
Old 9/19/13, 08:30 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EF1
I have looked for a rear Brembo upgrade to match the front as well and it doesn't appear to exist. I think it has something to do with the Brembo calipers not being compatible with the parking brake, but I am not sure. The only rear brake upgrade that I have been able to find is from Steeda. It has bigger rotors (still smaller than the fronts), but uses the stock calipers with an adapter bracket to relocate it for the larger rotors.
Originally Posted by CiniZter
^ thanks... it doesnt look right to me... would have been happier if i had brembos all around... when i have enough funds planning to change them out for wilwood all sides.
Upgrading the rear brakes beyond a pad upgrade is only for looks unless you are into real heavy road racing. The front brakes do 70% of all the stopping.

There are some really expensive, super high performance cars out there that have an almost identical rear brake setup to our cars. The reason is simple, that is all that is needed!

If you want matching 14" rear rotors for your brembos, Baer brakes offers a kit with two piece drilled and slotted rotors for the rear with matching rotors for the front, but as I stated, it's really just for looks.

But, to the original title question, definitely suspension before adding power.
_
Old 9/19/13, 09:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
^ just out of curiosity.. how much would that cost.
1550, not including the rotors and calipers, that we be a stupid amount of money just to add something that isn't needed.

And like everyone has said OP, suspension will get the power down that you have, no point in increase power without increasing grip.
Old 9/19/13, 09:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

sorry to take this off topic.. forgive my ignorance too...definitely would not spend 1500 on that for the looks.
Old 9/19/13, 09:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
When you drive it, what bothers you? When I prioritize my mods, I ask myself this question. For me, it was brake dive and bouncing on uneven roads. This lead me to do suspension first. I won't add anymore power till the factory warranty wears out. As my car sits today, I'm very happy with it. All I have done is suspension and some very minor interior mods.

I think you have to ask yourself what is the worst thing about your car.
This. What do you plan to do with the car? Any track or dragstrip work? Or is the modding purely for street use?
Old 9/19/13, 09:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
On the original subject, suspension first. These cars have so much power it's hard to use it all on the street. Yes, it's nice to have a little more for a 3-4-5 gear pull, but how often does that really happen? Not much for me...

Suspension is something you notice every minute of driving... best improvement available in my opinion

To the question on brakes - the Brembo's are more than adequate for street driving. For just looks of a bigger rear rotor, buy the adapter piece for the caliper and a larger rotor - will look better and offer a bit of performance improvement as well (in terms of heat dissipation from the rear brakes). You'll be slightly more rear biased with a bigger rotor (due to increased torque from larger diameter rotor), so you might want to get a grabbier pad up front to help compensate.

I immediately got new pads for the car as I was thoroughly disappointed with the OEM pads after having 'performance' pads on my previous car. Grippier pads made the brakes feel fantastic. ALthough they do dust a bit more!
Old 9/19/13, 11:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
You can take your Mustang to this level ... will be a nigh and day difference!

Let me know if I can help assist with anything moving further? You can reach me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 9/19/13, 11:33 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
This. What do you plan to do with the car? Any track or dragstrip work? Or is the modding purely for street use?

Mods are primarily for street use. I live in East Tennesse and there are plenty of mountain roads. I have no interest in the drag strip, but would like to participate in track days or one of the driving schools on a road course.

Quick Reply: Power or suspension first