Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Performance Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/15, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Suggestions

Hey all,
I need some advise for my '13 stock V6 MCA Mustang. I have recently joined some car groups and I have been doing some intense canyon runs through the LA area. I noticed on some of the turns I was experiencing severe under-steer on the sharp turns. I know I could drive slower but what options should I look into first:
Switching tires?
Installing front & rear sway bars?
Something else?

Let me know what you all think. Or is there something else I am missing that I can add to my mustang to improve overall handling.
Thanks

Old 2/9/15, 09:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
You could look into a rear sway bar, or try running higher pressure in the front tires. On every vehicle I've owned I've run the fronts a bit higher then the rears and have liked the changes that offers. Play around with pressures until you find something you like.

Also, if you have all season tires then that will be a pretty big hindrance. Good summer tires will help a ton.
Old 2/9/15, 09:13 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have not driven your car, but first things first... pay attention to weight transfer to the rear tires...

Are you decelerating/braking into the curve when you experience understeer? This brings more of the weight on the already heavy front end and makes the car want to "wash out".

Try braking harder just before the turn, downshifting, and going thru the curve with a minimum neutral to some positive throttle. Better yet is being in medium to hard positive throttle. (But be careful of oversteer/fishtail if you are going overboard.)

If you are balanced correctly you can tweak the curve with throttle steer. This requires you to be in the proper gear so as to be well in the middle of your power curve so the throttle affects your line.

One easy test to see how well your car is balanced is how do the understeer corners feel when driving uphill in the canyon under acceleration vs downhill when you are fighting speed/gravity...

After learning your cars balance, and weight transfer/throttle control, you can then start figuring out mods.

IMO from the Don Healey school of SRA handling.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/9/15 at 09:16 PM.
Old 2/10/15, 03:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
Both those comments above are right on the money, I am running more air in the fronts by 3 PSI (39F 36R). Different tires require different pressures so you will need to play around with them until you feel it is the best for you.
Remember also, sometimes slower is faster, like Charliehorse said, if you are not able to get the car set before you enter the corner you are defeating your purpose. You should be able to already be back on the throttle by the apex of the corner with moderate to hard throttle by the exit.
Old 2/10/15, 08:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Always brake before the turn, trail brake during till apex if you have to. This will help with the weight transfer. Roll into the throttle in the turn mash at the apex. Hold on tight. Correct for oversteer. Be safe.

Tires are a huge factor in this. More grippy tires = less understeer. This will change the driving habits of the car. You will wear your brakes out faster with stickier tires as well as there will be more force on them transferred to the pads from the road.

If you want a flat cornering car you need to upgrade the shocks, Koni yellows are the prefered choice. They are rebuildable, adjustable for rebound and damping. This will take some of the brake dive and squat out. Springs are also important for more than just looks. Steeda Sports are also the springs most used in this combo. Lower center of gravity, good spring rates for corner carving.

The rest of the information you can find in the suspension mods section of the forum. There's just way too much stuff for me to type right now. Happy driving.
Old 2/10/15, 08:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
The driver mod is usually the most beneficial...
Old 2/10/15, 10:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For sure. Find some local racetracks to drive that have track days with instruction. It will do wonders.
Old 2/10/15, 07:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Steeda Sports are also the springs most used in this combo. Lower center of gravity, good spring rates for corner carving.
True!

Shoot me a note with what kind of budget you have & we can take you to the next level regarding the handling!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 2/10/15, 08:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tj@steeda

True!

Shoot me a note with what kind of budget you have & we can take you to the next level regarding the handling!

Best Regards,

TJ
Steeda Sports & pnahard bar made my car a different animal in handling while still running the stock shocks & struts.
Old 2/11/15, 03:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
And the people have spoken!

Best Regards,

TJ