2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Pandora + Sync = AWESOME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/13, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It is disappointing how much the quality of Sirius/XM has dropped over the years. It used to be fantastic, and now it is horrible.

And for those complaining about skipping and Pandora, try out Spotify. $10, a much larger amount of music than pandora, unlimited skips, and you can listen to whole albums.
Old 11/28/13, 10:53 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by narphenal
And for those complaining about skipping and Pandora, try out Spotify. $10, a much larger amount of music than pandora, unlimited skips, and you can listen to whole albums.
I'm going to go check that out right now, thanks!
Old 11/28/13, 12:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Lothar
I'm going to go check that out right now, thanks!
Okay yeah, now that I've had a chance to compare, Spotify certainly has Pandora beat with respect to the skip limit. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet in the Mustang yet though, only on my phone. How's the interface?

I'm trying to decide if it's any better than Grooveshark, which I've been using for a couple of years now.
Old 11/29/13, 02:11 PM
GT Member

I tired Spotify in the Mustang today. I couldn't get it to work with Sync Applink with my Android phone, so I assume the app is not designed to work with Applink. It does work if I select "Line In" as my music source, but I can't access any of Spotify's features that way, other than skipping songs, the way I can with Pandora.

It might still be worth using for me though, just because the unrestricted skip limit makes it worth the lack of accessible features.
Old 12/2/13, 11:08 AM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Last1
Thanks Kim! I am fully updated to the new OS and still no luck. I am considering changing phones anyway. Not happy with the iphone anymore for a number of reasons.
No problem, Last1.

Make sure you reference that compatibility chart before purchasing a new phone. Once you locate a phone on the chart, click VIEW DETAILS on the right side of the screen to see which features are compatible with your SYNC system.

I tired Spotify in the Mustang today. I couldn't get it to work with Sync Applink with my Android phone, so I assume the app is not designed to work with Applink. It does work if I select "Line In" as my music source, but I can't access any of Spotify's features that way, other than skipping songs, the way I can with Pandora.

It might still be worth using for me though, just because the unrestricted skip limit makes it worth the lack of accessible features.
Hi Lothar,

Check out this page to see which applications work with SYNC AppLink for your specific device: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...-overview-sync Currently, Spotify is not a supported app.

Kim
Old 12/2/13, 11:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
No problem, Last1. Make sure you reference that compatibility chart before purchasing a new phone. Once you locate a phone on the chart, click VIEW DETAILS on the right side of the screen to see which features are compatible with your SYNC system. Hi Lothar, Check out this page to see which applications work with SYNC AppLink for your specific device: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...-overview-sync Currently, Spotify is not a supported app. Kim
Why not the 2013 ford flex for android? My Syrus just ran out 15 minutes ago. Argh!!!
Old 12/2/13, 11:37 AM
GT Member

Hi Lothar,

Check out this page to see which applications work with SYNC AppLink for your specific device: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...-overview-sync Currently, Spotify is not a supported app.

Kim
Thanks very much for pointing me to that page, Kim. The list of supported apps on that page is incomplete though, because there is a SYNC-compatible Spotify app for iPhone, but it is not shown in the list of iPhone apps.

It's apparently only Android that has no SYNC-compatible Spotify app... unfortunately for me. I'm hoping that situation is going to be rectified soon.
Old 12/2/13, 12:24 PM
GT Member

Iheart Radio works great if you use the Iheart Auto app instead of Iheart directly. Also I use Slacker more than any of my apps. Slacker gives more station genre than anything else. I still have my handheld Slacker player. If you pay for the min. year for their app, then no amounts of skips...once in a blue moon an ad for slacker will come up. I personally have been thinking of adding Satelite to my base v6, but still hashing over since I would only listen to a few stations at best. Also I have the Sync Destinations.....I have a Garmin, hard to not use my Garmin over the SD....but for quick trips, SD is fine....

My few cents....
Old 12/2/13, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by GrnT
Why not the 2013 ford flex for android? My Syrus just ran out 15 minutes ago. Argh!!!
Hi GrnT,

Even if your vehicle isn't equipped with AppLink, you can still stream music via Bluetooth if you have SYNC. While the app is playing music on your phone, just press the VOICE COMMAND button on the steering wheel and say BLUETOOTH AUDIO. It will automatically begin streaming the music from your mobile device.

Thanks very much for pointing me to that page, Kim. The list of supported apps on that page is incomplete though, because there is a SYNC-compatible Spotify app for iPhone, but it is not shown in the list of iPhone apps.

It's apparently only Android that has no SYNC-compatible Spotify app... unfortunately for me. I'm hoping that situation is going to be rectified soon.
I was surprised to see that Spotify wasn't listed. I haven't personally used it, but I've heard chatter around it, so I should have double-checked. You're absolutely right! After doing some digging, I found this: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...c-applink-sync I'm putting in a request to get the original website updated. I apologize about that.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Kim
Old 12/2/13, 01:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Hi GrnT, Even if your vehicle isn't equipped with AppLink, you can still stream music via Bluetooth if you have SYNC. While the app is playing music on your phone, just press the VOICE COMMAND button on the steering wheel and say BLUETOOTH AUDIO. It will automatically begin streaming the music from your mobile device. I was surprised to see that Spotify wasn't listed. I haven't personally used it, but I've heard chatter around it, so I should have double-checked. You're absolutely right! After doing some digging, I found this: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...c-applink-sync I'm putting in a request to get the original website updated. I apologize about that. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Kim
Thank you so much.
Old 12/2/13, 01:41 PM
GT Member

Hi GrnT,
I was surprised to see that Spotify wasn't listed. I haven't personally used it, but I've heard chatter around it, so I should have double-checked. You're absolutely right! After doing some digging, I found this: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...c-applink-sync I'm putting in a request to get the original website updated. I apologize about that.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Kim
Glad to be of service, Kim.

Perhaps this is not anything that you are allowed to comment on, but do you happen to know if a SYNC-compatible Spotify app is in development for Android, to compliment the iPhone app? If the answer to that question is no, then I'm probably going to give up on Spotify and just keep using Pandora. That would be unfortunate, because Spotify seems to be a better service to me.

Last edited by Lothar; 12/2/13 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12/2/13, 05:26 PM
GT Member

a lot of the Sirius goodies don't work in Canada and I'm not much into music so I didn't renew. I'll have to investigate this Pandora probably a lot of the features won't work in Canada either but will try. Possibly our feds CRTC may be shutting us off from many features.
Old 12/2/13, 05:50 PM

Pandora plus sync rock.
Old 12/2/13, 10:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by miner999r
a lot of the Sirius goodies don't work in Canada and I'm not much into music so I didn't renew. I'll have to investigate this Pandora probably a lot of the features won't work in Canada either but will try. Possibly our feds CRTC may be shutting us off from many features.
I tried Pandora and Spotify. Not available in our country. Big Brother is watching.
Old 12/3/13, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by GrnT
Thank you so much.
You're welcome, GrnT.

Glad to be of service, Kim.

Perhaps this is not anything that you are allowed to comment on, but do you happen to know if a SYNC-compatible Spotify app is in development for Android, to compliment the iPhone app? If the answer to that question is no, then I'm probably going to give up on Spotify and just keep using Pandora. That would be unfortunate, because Spotify seems to be a better service to me.
Currently, I don't have information on a SYNC-compatible Spotify app for anything other than the iPhone. I can't speculate on future plans for this. If information becomes available, you'll see it on: www.Support.Ford.com
Originally Posted by Mrsuitcase
I tried Pandora and Spotify. Not available in our country. Big Brother is watching.
Hi miner999r,

Mrsuitcase is correct; AppLink isn't available in Canada. You both will still be able to access apps through Bluetooth. Press the VOICE COMMAND button on the steering wheel and say BLUETOOTH AUDIO while the app is streaming music on the phone.

Kim

Last edited by FordIVTteam; 12/3/13 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12/3/13, 01:12 PM
GT Member

Currently, I don't have information on a SYNC-compatible Spotify app for anything other than the iPhone. I can't speculate on future plans for this. If information becomes available, you'll see it on: www.Support.Ford.com
Fair enough, Kim, thanks for the info in any case!
Old 12/3/13, 02:46 PM

Fair enough, Kim, thanks for the info in any case!
No problem.

Kim

Last edited by FordIVTteam; 12/8/13 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12/7/13, 06:57 PM
GT Member

Thanks Kim and all for the info. I guess we canucks will watch wistfully from the sidelines.
Old 12/7/13, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got the sync/USB connect to work. There is a brief period (about 5 seconds or so) right after I plug in the iPhone where if I try voice commands it messes up the "initializing" phase. The problem was that I was trying to use the voice activation before the initialization completed. Problem solved.
Old 12/8/13, 12:34 PM

Thanks Kim and all for the info. I guess we canucks will watch wistfully from the sidelines.
You're welcome, miner999r.

Originally Posted by Last1
Finally got the sync/USB connect to work. There is a brief period (about 5 seconds or so) right after I plug in the iPhone where if I try voice commands it messes up the "initializing" phase. The problem was that I was trying to use the voice activation before the initialization completed. Problem solved.
I'm glad to hear the problem has been resolved. If you run into any other issues, let me know.

Kim

Quick Reply: Pandora + Sync = AWESOME!!!