Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Pandora + Sync = AWESOME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/13, 11:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pandora + Sync = AWESOME!!!

Yesterday was the last day of my SiriusXM trial- and I have been going back and forth over whether to renew...

...until this week! My new work cell phone is a Samsung S4 (with 4G), so I decided to try linking Pandora to Sync.

OMG! The sound quality is MUCH better through Pandora than with SiriusXM. Once you get the phone linked up, you can control your Pandora stations through the radio (I have Nav- don't know how it works without the touchscreen), and its just... perfect!

Even if I didn't have unlimited data through my work plan, at this point I'd just invest in the data plan through my cell rather than pay for SiriusXM. The only thing I might eventually sign up for is the XMTraffic (that is, if I can't find an app that will link with SYNC to provide traffic info on the Nav- seems like there should be an app out there that would work).

I like the look of the touchscreen- and was already glad I went with the Technology Package, but this past week Pandora has renewed the joy I get from my '14 (that, and when I look at the "sneak peeks" of the '15, I can't help but think I've chosen wisely :^).

Finally, having just passed 5,000 miles on the odometer, I'm also allowing my right foot to bury itself more often and all I can say is "Holy Crap!!!!" 2nd gear in this thing is just a beast (got our first dose of winter weather in Dallas today, and I can see that the "Summer Only" tires may be just that - I might need to order some wheels with Conti DWS on them for the winter months)!
Old 11/23/13, 08:27 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey, Pete, my '14 GT has the factory nav, as well. My 6 mos with SIRIUS is almost up so I'm in the same boat trying to decide. My wife just went with Pandora in her '12 Escape and is cancelling SIRIUS. I'll likely do the same.

I contacted SIRIUS about the Travel Link, which I really like on our nav screens, and they told me you can buy it all by itself for $1.99 per month. In the past, you had to have SIRIUS radio to be able to get the Travel Link, but now they let you buy them a la carte.
Old 11/23/13, 08:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my fav feature through sync! I also have a Galaxy S4 it works great. I noticed that Pandora still limits the amount you can skip but there are no commercials when it's connected through Sync. You can get traffic info through the Sync app.
Old 11/23/13, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I may not even be using my iPod all that much anymore...

Not to sound like a commercial, but with the Pandora its like I'm running my own radio station! With the iPod, I always know what's coming next- but the Pandora is almost always playing something I like (and when it doesn't I just hit the "thumbs down" button and skip).

At first, the only "downside" was I couldn't figure out how to change my stations (because the phone goes into some sort of locked mode when it is Synched)- but then I read through the manual and discovered the numbered buttons on the radio will pull up different Pandora stations when Synched- how cool! Unfortunately, you can't use voice commands to pull up a particular Pandora station- all you can do by voice is pull up your list of stations.

I created a Christmas genre channel the other day- which should get a lot of use when the parents visit in a couple weeks.

What traffic app can be Synched? I've been searching on line, but it seems like almost all the Sync apps are music-related. $1.99 a month would be well worth it to have the XMTraffic- but if I can do traffic through my phone, that would be even better. The only other feature that was really cool was the ability to pull up a satellite image on the nav screen (that's a real crowd-pleaser with passengers).
Old 11/24/13, 10:39 AM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
I may not even be using my iPod all that much anymore...

Not to sound like a commercial, but with the Pandora its like I'm running my own radio station! With the iPod, I always know what's coming next- but the Pandora is almost always playing something I like (and when it doesn't I just hit the "thumbs down" button and skip). ...

What traffic app can be Synched? I've been searching on line, but it seems like almost all the Sync apps are music-related. $1.99 a month would be well worth it to have the XMTraffic- but if I can do traffic through my phone, that would be even better. The only other feature that was really cool was the ability to pull up a satellite image on the nav screen (that's a real crowd-pleaser with passengers).
Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
This is my fav feature through sync! I also have a Galaxy S4 it works great. I noticed that Pandora still limits the amount you can skip but there are no commercials when it's connected through Sync. You can get traffic info through the Sync app.
Hi Varilux,

I don't blame you for sounding like a commercial; I'm all about my Michael Jackson Pandora station!

It sounds like Ajcruz1 is talking about SYNC Services offered through Ford. If you have an active subscription on: www.Support.Ford.com you can access traffic information. There is also an app called SYNC Destinations, which is available for certain devices and vehicles. You'll find more information here: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...ync-navigation

It sounds like you both are enjoying your SYNC systems. I'm glad!

Kim
Old 11/25/13, 09:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thank you, Kim.

I downloaded the Destinations app, and will have to give it a whirl on the drive home from work.

I also visited the Sync Services site (my Mustang is already active- but I was able to activate our F150 as well).

I'm sure I'll never take full advantage of all the features Sync has to offer, but the ones I'm able to figure out are pretty darn cool!
Old 11/25/13, 11:19 AM
GT Member

I really dig it too but I really don't like how every time I get back into the car I have to start all over by initiating a voice command, wait, then tell it to first cue mobile apps (assuming it has reconnected with my phone), then pandora. I wish it would just recall my last preference instead of going back to FM radio or my aux USB every time I start the car up. This is especially annoying if I'm just stopping for gas. IMO it is a waste of time to even fire up pandora if I'm running a quick errand. Aside from that though, the quality of the music is great.
Old 11/25/13, 12:08 PM

Thank you, Kim.

I downloaded the Destinations app, and will have to give it a whirl on the drive home from work.

I also visited the Sync Services site (my Mustang is already active- but I was able to activate our F150 as well).

I'm sure I'll never take full advantage of all the features Sync has to offer, but the ones I'm able to figure out are pretty darn cool!
Anytime, Varilux. Let me know how it goes!

Originally Posted by figit
I really dig it too but I really don't like how every time I get back into the car I have to start all over by initiating a voice command, wait, then tell it to first cue mobile apps (assuming it has reconnected with my phone), then pandora. I wish it would just recall my last preference instead of going back to FM radio or my aux USB every time I start the car up. This is especially annoying if I'm just stopping for gas. IMO it is a waste of time to even fire up pandora if I'm running a quick errand. Aside from that though, the quality of the music is great.
Hi figit,

Unfortunately, there is no setting that will allow the system to recall the last source. One thing that may improve your experience is to soft reset your phone every once in a while. This will make the phone connect a little faster when you enter the vehicle. Remove the battery of your phone and replace it to perform a soft reset. If you have an iPhone, hold the POWER and HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears.

If you're just going on a quick trip down the road, you can give the command BLUETOOTH AUDIO instead of MOBILE APPS. This will automatically start playing whatever music is playing on your phone at that time. Keep in mind that you have less control with voice commands when using this option.

Hope this helps!

Kim
Old 11/25/13, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd use internet radio if it didn't eat at my data plan
Old 11/25/13, 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I've noticed that- if I jump out of the car for a while (leaving Pandora running on my phone)- I can restart Pandora through the car by just clicking on the "line in" button on the screen (the same one you use to start playing from an iPod). The advantage is you instantly reconnect with the Pandora- the disadvantage is you have no info on the screen or control over Pandora on the screen (the screen will just show your phone's name).

As for default settings, I really REALLY wish you could program the climate control to default to recirculated air. I've gotten to where its routine to click the button, but I wish I could just have it start in the "on" position.
Old 11/25/13, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree that Pandora is definitely awesome. However, Sync without the electronics package is not so great. That is the only complaint that I have with this car. I have an iphone 4s, updated software, and the voice commands to play a particular artist or song do not work at all. I just get the announcement "That feature is not compatible with this device, blah blah" (this happens with both USB connect AND bluetooth) So yeah. I am stuck with shuffle. I am able to advance and reverse tracks, but sometimes that even stops working. The only way to fix it is to remove the cord and plug it back in. Anyone else get this or know a way around? Maybe I got a bad system and I just don't know it?

Last edited by Last1; 11/25/13 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11/26/13, 06:01 AM
Cobra Member

Man, how did we ever survive with the radios of the late 60's and 70's??? With 6 chrome push buttons of pre-tuned stations, I thought I was the fat cat daddy-o.

Then my first 8 track (still have a huge collection of 8 track tapes), then cassettes, then CD's...why the heck can't I buy CD's anymore?

Now memory sticks and MP3. I'm just going to hold off until sync connects up with my brain, so I woun't have to hum music in my head.
Old 11/26/13, 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was in the same boat, my Sirius trial expired last year and i didn't renew it, mostly because I didnt like the audio quality of it. I had an iphone and switched to an S4 this year and HOLY COW this phone works SO MUCH BETTER with sync than my iphone ever did. Mobile apps actually work over bluetooth which didn't work unless physically connected with my iphone. I have the Shaker 500 without nav so most of my controls are through Voice command.

Someone mentioned voice doesnt work but it works flawlessly with Pandora on mine. Anything you can do from the Pandora app you can do over voice command, like Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Skip, track info, play station "station name", bookmark, and so on. Its very reliable for me, even with the windows down. Its definitely renewed my love for Sync, and the new destinations update for the android is much better now so thats helped too.
Old 11/26/13, 11:29 AM

Yeah, I've noticed that- if I jump out of the car for a while (leaving Pandora running on my phone)- I can restart Pandora through the car by just clicking on the "line in" button on the screen (the same one you use to start playing from an iPod). The advantage is you instantly reconnect with the Pandora- the disadvantage is you have no info on the screen or control over Pandora on the screen (the screen will just show your phone's name). ...
It sounds like your SYNC system is working properly. You're correct; the system has less control over phone apps when using the Bluetooth audio or line in features.

Originally Posted by Last1
I have to agree that Pandora is definitely awesome. However, Sync without the electronics package is not so great. That is the only complaint that I have with this car. I have an iphone 4s, updated software, and the voice commands to play a particular artist or song do not work at all. I just get the announcement "That feature is not compatible with this device, blah blah" (this happens with both USB connect AND bluetooth) So yeah. I am stuck with shuffle. I am able to advance and reverse tracks, but sometimes that even stops working. The only way to fix it is to remove the cord and plug it back in. Anyone else get this or know a way around? Maybe I got a bad system and I just don't know it?
Hi Last1,

If you're streaming music via Bluetooth audio, you will not be able to use voice commands to pull up a specific artist, album, or song. If you're giving the command MOBILE APPS, you have more options (as long as the device is compatible). Before connecting your iPhone 4S to SYNC via USB or Mobile Apps, try performing a soft reset to it. Hold the POWER and HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears. When the phone powers back up, try connecting. If you still experience issues, a master reset should be done. On the radio, press PHONE > SYSTEM SETTINGS > ADVANCED > MASTER RESET. The phone will need to be re-paired after doing a master reset. I'll be here if you have any questions.

Originally Posted by Reminisce
... Someone mentioned voice doesnt work but it works flawlessly with Pandora on mine. Anything you can do from the Pandora app you can do over voice command, like Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Skip, track info, play station "station name", bookmark, and so on. Its very reliable for me, even with the windows down. Its definitely renewed my love for Sync, and the new destinations update for the android is much better now so thats helped too.
I appreciate the feedback on the SYNC Destinations app, Reminisce. I'm glad you finally get to enjoy your system as intended.

Kim
Old 11/26/13, 01:48 PM
V6 Member

I love Sync + Pandora; I use it far more often than Sirius, which I'm going to cancel once the promotional price they offered me for 6 mos. expires.

Quality is significantly better, and it really doesn't use very much of my 4GB/mo data plan even when I use it every day.

I read through the manual and discovered the numbered buttons on the radio will pull up different Pandora stations when Synched- how cool! Unfortunately, you can't use voice commands to pull up a particular Pandora station- all you can do by voice is pull up your list of stations.
I didn't know the numbered buttons work in Pandora, I'll have to give that a try. Just FYI, you can, in fact, use voice commands to switch Pandora stations; that's the only way I've ever done it. Voice command is just "Play <say full station name>". I was shocked at some of the band names Sync is able to parse and recognize; give it a try!
Old 11/26/13, 06:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks FordIVTeam. The "play song/artist" also do not work through USB connect. I get the same message as I get when I try it through bluetooth. I'll try the reset and go from there.
Old 11/27/13, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like I'm not the only one that thinks that the Sirius radio sounds awful. The high ends are tin-ny and washed out. Almost like a bad MP3 that's been super-compressed to save disc space. It's... listenable... I suppose. But when FM sounds better than "CD quality" satellite radio - something is wrong. Maybe they are hitting their data stream capacity in the bird in the sky? Who knows?

But I digress. I appreciate you pointing me to Pandora, and I will definitely be trying it out as an alternative!
Old 11/27/13, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Last1
Thanks FordIVTeam. The "play song/artist" also do not work through USB connect. I get the same message as I get when I try it through bluetooth. I'll try the reset and go from there.
You'll notice here: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...atibility-sync that the iPhone 4S isn't verified as being compatible via USB streaming, however, I've received feedback from other iPhone 4S owners that have had better luck after updating their iOS. It may not be as smooth as using a compatible device, but the troubleshooting steps may help improve your connection. Let me know the outcome of the reset.

Kim
Old 11/27/13, 10:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
You'll notice here: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...atibility-sync that the iPhone 4S isn't verified as being compatible via USB streaming, however, I've received feedback from other iPhone 4S owners that have had better luck after updating their iOS. It may not be as smooth as using a compatible device, but the troubleshooting steps may help improve your connection. Let me know the outcome of the reset.

Kim
Thanks Kim! I am fully updated to the new OS and still no luck. I am considering changing phones anyway. Not happy with the iphone anymore for a number of reasons.
Old 11/28/13, 06:22 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mrsuitcase
Sounds like I'm not the only one that thinks that the Sirius radio sounds awful. The high ends are tin-ny and washed out. Almost like a bad MP3 that's been super-compressed to save disc space. It's... listenable... I suppose. But when FM sounds better than "CD quality" satellite radio - something is wrong. Maybe they are hitting their data stream capacity in the bird in the sky? Who knows?
That's exactly how I often think about the Sirius radio in our cars--like a mp3 recorded at too low a bitrate. I'd consider canceling my Sirius subscription and just playing my own mp3's or Pandora, but it's just easier to turn on the radio for a short trip in the car than to have to fumble with the menus to get music to stream from my phone. I do have auto-play enabled in the Sync system, but I've only had that actually work once now.

The only thing I don't like about Pandora is the skip limit. I tend to not listen to most songs from start to finish--I get bored near the end and want to skip ahead to the next song (short attention span, I guess). Either that, or I decide after the first few seconds of a song that I don't like it and want to skip it. So I hit the skip limit all the time.

I've been trying to get a sense for whether my smartphone's bandwidth allowance gets used more quickly up by my constantly skipping and changing stations, since it seems that part of the song needs to buffer each time a new song loads. So if I'm just listening to just the first few seconds of a song before skipping, am I really using up several times that much bandwidth due to the bufferering? I'm not sure.

Quick Reply: Pandora + Sync = AWESOME!!!