Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil separators and fate...(JLT vs Bob's vs Moroso)

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/15, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Anybody have a vendor or contact information for the Bob's oil separator?
Old 12/18/15, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mfc133
Z you're definitely right, they're all but required on a FI car. And now Ford Racing says the blow-by is the #1 cause of pinging on their ProCal tunes. They actually recommend running an oil separator in their published instruction sheet.

++ on that. I've had my GTCS for over 6 months and intermittently I have had (on stock) what I swear is "pinging" (actually coming from the passenger side). With the recently installed ProCal (LOVE it BTW), I made sure I included an oil separator (up to now I have NEVER had one or even knew what the importance was). I ended up with the Moroso, looks good (do agree with the slightly cheap looking bracket though).

SO far, after 2 weeks, I have NOT heard any more pinging.

Finally ended up registering just to chime in on this (been lurking for months). Looking forward to alot of great info and experience here.

Last edited by jfbar167; 12/18/15 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12/18/15, 10:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 13GetThere
Anybody have a vendor or contact information for the Bob's oil separator?
Look up Bob's Autosports. You buy directly from them.
Old 12/18/15, 10:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Thanks
http://shop.bobsautosports.com/Catch...rators_c13.htm
Old 12/18/15, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by laserred38
Is there a reason you guys are spending $100+ on these? I have seen some catch cans for as low as $20
Old 12/18/15, 10:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I just ended up deleting the whole thing all together and went with a Peterson Can on my car.

Old 12/18/15, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ford20
I just ended up deleting the whole thing all together and went with a Peterson Can on my car.
Looks nice. Did you reuse the fittings or buy new ones?
Old 12/18/15, 12:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I ended up reinstalling my PVC Valve. Motor developed a small leak. Got the dealer to shampoo the bottom end and advised me get rid of my breather filter and just use the PVC valve and see if it stops leaking.

They didn't say it was because it was the breather. But they also didn't rule it out.
Old 12/18/15, 01:42 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Originally Posted by jarbear1988
Is there a reason you guys are spending $100+ on these? I have seen some catch cans for as low as $20
Quite simple, because they really work ! The cheaper ones still allow oil vapor past the PCV barb fittings and into the upper intake..
Old 12/18/15, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Quite simple, because they really work ! The cheaper ones still allow oil vapor past the PCV barb fittings and into the upper intake..
I think I've misunderstood how these work. Is there something that creates a vacuum to pull the vapors through the catch can?
Old 12/18/15, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I ended up reinstalling my PVC Valve. Motor developed a small leak. Got the dealer to shampoo the bottom end and advised me get rid of my breather filter and just use the PVC valve and see if it stops leaking.

They didn't say it was because it was the breather. But they also didn't rule it out.
Question for you Joe ! How do you uninstall and then reinstall your PCV valve ? From my understanding the PCV valves are integrated into the cam covers and can only be removed by first uninstalling the cam cover and then having to use a small cutting tool to cut into the tube which houses the PCV valve in order to extract it..

Perhaps I'm either missing something or Ford must had changed the design after they discontinued the 3 valve 4.6L in favor of the current 5.0L Coyote 4 valve
Old 12/18/15, 02:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Question for you Joe ! How do you uninstall and then reinstall your PCV valve ? From my understanding the PCV valves are integrated into the cam covers and can only be removed by first uninstalling the cam cover and then having to use a small cutting tool to cut into the tube which houses the PCV valve in order to extract it..

Perhaps I'm either missing something or Ford must had changed the design after they discontinued the 3 valve 4.6L in favor of the current 5.0L Coyote 4 valve
It would be the same setup as if you using a bobs can. In my case, I didn't want to bother with draining and monitoring the can. Instead, I used a breather filter.

it was just a matter of removing the breather filter and clipping the PCV hose back on.
Old 12/18/15, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by jarbear1988
I think I've misunderstood how these work. Is there something that creates a vacuum to pull the vapors through the catch can?
Yes ! the catch cans are designed to work in conjunction with the factory PCV system and not disable them, as your factory and aftermarket upper intake require vacuum from the crankcase in order to keep metered air in check..

Therefore unless you disable the PCV system altogether ? it is not recommended to run an open breather setup, as doing so will create a vacuum leak..

The problem with some of the cheaper catch cans, is their poor design which still allow oil vapors to get past the PCV connectors and into the upper intake.. The $100.00 and up catch cans on the other hand, have a much better design that stop oil vapors from getting past the PCV connectors and into the upper intake that include stainless steel filter rings along with stainless steel filter mesh material to help trap crankcase oil more efficiently..

With that being said, I would highly recommend the following catch cans..

1) Bob's oil separator

2) UPR 4 chamber catch can

3) Moroso oil catch can
Old 12/18/15, 03:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I was chastised quite awhile back on a thread warning folks not to remove their PCV valves. It is simple logic that a crankcase will build pressure unless properly vented. Guess I was right!
Old 12/18/15, 03:57 PM

Brandon ! With the PCV system intact, your upper intake vacuum will still vent the crankcase under normal driving conditions while at part throttle..

Vacuum only closes during full throttle and then will re-open whenever crankcase pressure builds up.. But just to be on the safe side, I went ahead and purchased the CFM breather kit which is really a pressure relief valve designed to be fully compatible with the factory PCV system which stay's fully closed under normal driving conditions while still under vacuum, but will then open when at full throttle in order to fully vent the crankcase and relieve any unwanted pressure build up..

Anyway just another option you may want to consider looking into

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/18/15 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12/18/15, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
It would be the same setup as if you using a bobs can. In my case, I didn't want to bother with draining and monitoring the can. Instead, I used a breather filter.

it was just a matter of removing the breather filter and clipping the PCV hose back on.
Joe ! It's not that I disagree with you, however according to another member who responded to the very same question I submitted in another thread awhile back ago, this was his response..

Originally Posted by 07 Boss
Putting a breather on the driver's side without removing the actual PCV valve does nothing. The valve will stay closed and nothing will ever come out of it. If you remove the valve and run an oil cap breather there will now be 3 outlets for the crankcase and you will have a lot less build up of oil saturating the filters.

To remove the actual PCV valve you do have to take off the cam cover. Then you cut and pull back on the baffle to expose the little pipe where the valve is. I cut that open with a dremel and removed the little valve and then just folded the baffle back into place. I don't have any pics but it's simple. I have a set of stock covers sitting around in my garage somewhere if you really need some pics on what I'm talking about.
Old 12/18/15, 07:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Knew I should not have commented on this thread. Truly not looking for an argument. But there is nothing anyone can say to convince me that removing a PCV valve is a good idea. I have a JLT Separator because I agree that oil in the intake is bad. But removing the PCV to prevent this is a poor choice in my opinion.
Old 12/19/15, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Knew I should not have commented on this thread. Truly not looking for an argument. But there is nothing anyone can say to convince me that removing a PCV valve is a good idea. I have a JLT Separator because I agree that oil in the intake is bad. But removing the PCV to prevent this is a poor choice in my opinion.
Just how in the hell was my post suggesting that removing a PCV valve is a good idea ? If you had understood a single word that was posted, everything I stated was actually the complete opposite..

Perhaps you should take the time and read my response to your last post once again and hopefully then you'll realize I share the very same opinions as you do, as I also use an oil separator !
Old 12/19/15, 01:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ha Ha!... My Bad. I thought you must have made a typo... I could not figure out why you were disagreeing with me and making points to my case. It was late... And I was all full of Nyquil fighting off a cold... No hard feelings I hope...
Old 12/19/15, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Ha Ha!... My Bad. I thought you must have made a typo... I could not figure out why you were disagreeing with me and making points to my case. It was late... And I was all full of Nyquil fighting off a cold... No hard feelings I hope...
You must had misinterpreted my post Brandon, as I never disagreed with you..
All I was trying to point out to you, is under normal driving conditions at part throttle your upper intake vacuum will properly evacuate and vent the crankcase with the factory PCV system fully intact..

The only time your intake valve shuts off vacuum, is during wide open throttle or while under boost with FI.. However when crankcase pressure builds up, the intake valve is designed to open back up in order to relieve the pressure..

As I mentioned earlier, I added the CFM billet valve cover breather kit which actually functions as a one way check valve that's fully compatible with the factory PCV system and is designed to work just as a regular oil cap during normal driving conditions in which the pressure relief valve stays fully closed while under vacuum but when driving at wide open throttle, the relief valve will then open in order to relieve pressure and vent the crankcase more efficiently.. However as I said, the pressure relief valve is only a one way check valve to vent the crankcase under pressure, but will not allow airflow to enter back in like a regular breather kit would do..

At any rate, I decided to add the CFM kit with my Bob's catch can just for added protection/insurance.. I also decided to go this route, as I do not recommend disabling the factory PCV system for street performance applications and especially not for those used as daily drivers..

Anyhow I hope this clarifies any misunderstandings from my earlier post ? and there are also no hard feelings whatsoever Brandon, as it was nothing more than just a misinterpretation on both our parts

In the meantime, hope you're feeling better soon and Happy Holidays to both you and your family..

-Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/20/15 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Typo Error